Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 57 bel air gasser i have put a turbo 350 on it. I was wondering if there was a crossmember i get from the junkyard that i could use without much modification???

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is probably a kit you can get for a tri5 to do that.I have used angle and square tube ,its very simple.I used 2 pcs of angle about 3inx3in,cut 3or4in long. These will be welded to inside of frame rails. Use 2x2 square or heavy angle,set everything up under the car,then remove and drill holes. get back under and mock up .weld angles on, bolt together. I tried a junkyard crossmember,but it needed too many mods. good luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
68-72 Chevelle crossmember is the old school trick if I remember correctly. Not 100% positive, though.

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
A 2nd Gen '70-'81 Camaro makes a great crossmember to use for this. There are aftermarket crossmembers for a Tri 5, but they're a lot more money. Usually get a 2nd gen for $10-$15, then just use some angle iron to make a bracket to bolt it to.
If you can't find a used 2nd gen, here's 70 hits on Ebay for aftermarkets from as low as $29.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_fro...d=1955+chevy+crossmember&adgroup_id=645768291

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
first gen camaro and second gen nova x member, are exactally the correct width. just two pieces of 2 x 2 angle and drill some holes, done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information I think I am going to try to find the nova cross member or the 2nd gen camaro since they are the only one i usually see at my local junkyard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts