Gasser HotRod Forums banner
161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
BLACK HOODIES AND TEE's now up on the site for PRE-ORDER
All sizes available during pre-order as I don't stock all T-shirt sizes normally and won't stock hoodies at all, so now is the time. Will take pre-orders for a couple of weeks before placing final order.
Australian/New Zealand/Intl. guys, rejoice I have an outside the USA paypal option with the appropriate shipping prices adjusted. Make sure you pick the right one when you check out.
Go to the site now and get your order in. http://speednchrome.com/store.html

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
More progress pics finally. A lot has been going on behind the scenes now its showing.

HEADS: Original heads from "the Flying yellow brick". new stainless 2.02 intakes 1.6 exhaust ported polished, these heads made 350 horsepower on a 258 cubic-inch Y-Block. should run pretty good on this. .125" over 272 block with 12:1 compression.

RODS: Swapping in some better Mummert Rods

PAINT!: Finally got some paint on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The engine sounds healthy. I am surprised with the 12:1 compression it doesn't lope a little more than it does. Good feeling to get that first firing off without a hitch. Congrats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What we've been waiting for. Fired and broke in the engine. He says 11:1 on the video but its a 12:1 engine.
That motor looks and sounds great, I'm also using a 292 Y block in my Willys pickup but with a 4/71

·
Registered
34 Posts
That blown Y is beautiful. Very cool man. Super ol school.
Thanks Lancer, yes i'm building with an old style mind set. I'm new here but I will start a project build thread when I have a bit of time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Its been a while but I have a couple of pics to share. We want to get the car to sit as level and low in the front as we can. That is my goal, I don't car for the nose bleed front end look and I've seen those guy wreck there cars because of the instability at the big end of the track. So, with that in mind we are sectioning the oil pan to make room for the steering bits. Pics tell the story better. Motor is a Y-Block so the crank is high in the block fortunately. More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I guess I am about to show my ignorance and maybe my ass but my impression of the old style Y block either 292 or 312 didn't lend its self too well to high rpm's. It didn't need to, it was a torque monster that could get that heavy car in stock form underway pretty well.

I get the nostalgia for sure of running a period engine in your gasser and completely appreciate that. Here is where my ignorance may pop up "worse than usual" I see your beautiful work on the engine and honestly didn't think there were aftermarket high performance parts or very few. That car is going to be just awesome! I would be a bit concerned about the weight of a Y block and scattering the engine all over the place if it blew up, and finding another one I bet is not easy.

This is going to be a sweet build, cant wait to here it run in a video...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Warlock you must of been locked up for a fair while somewhere as there are lots of performance goodies available for Y blocks

161 - 180 of 209 Posts