Gasser HotRod Forums banner
181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Warlock you must of been locked up for a fair while somewhere as there are lots of performance goodies available for Y blocks
No I have been on the loose full time, I just never considered Y blocks for high performance. I had them figured to be too old and too heavy for the power they make, and the cost of making it. I would run a small block or big block Ford that began life 20 years later. But I see there are lots of goodies for the Y block, and if your into nostalgia, and have the sweet ride you do, the Y block is the best there is.

Nice to have something most others don't, your doing great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Motor will run up to 8000 rpms and stay together. They wind up real nice. The design of the block, like the later Ford blocks based on this design is very strong. The blocks are easy enough to find and since they can be bored out so much most of them can be used. They make performance cams, heads, rods and intakes like you see on ours. There is a pretty big surge in nostalgia and hey, 400 horse isn't to bad from this old hunk of iron. Its not period perfect but should garner some more respect for the old Y-Blocks. The whole thing is to have fun, nothing more, plus I like things that are different.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Someone answer this for me, what is a Y-block? What makes them so special?
Many flavours of Y block Ford, 239, 272, 292,& 312 made 1954-1960, it replaced the flathead, Most famously used in the Thunderbird,there were also supercharged versions. Its called the Y block because of the deep skirt around the crank, they have a distinctive sound also.

I thought it quite funny me being an english guy explaining what a Y block was to an american hahaha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many flavours of Y block Ford, 239, 272, 292,& 312 made 1954-1960, it replaced the flathead, Most famously used in the Thunderbird,there were also supercharged versions. Its called the Y block because of the deep skirt around the crank, they have a distinctive sound also.

I thought it quite funny me being an english guy explaining what a Y block was to an american hahaha

Thanks for the explanation! After you explained that I knew about them but I never heard them called Y-blocks before. This is what I love about forums like these, there's always somethin to be learned.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
its been a while, I've been busy with a new business and the progress has been slow to report. Here are some of the latest suspension pics. Pretty much all ready for final welding at this point. Then chrome and powder coating. The new radiator just came in and that mount will be started on this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts

I think they were probably made even a little later than 1960. My Dad had a 62 Ford pickup with a 292 and it was a good engine. The deep skirts around the crank give it a very strong bottom end. The Big Block Chrysler is also a Y block design hense the reason there so bullet proof.

Glad to see your going a different direction Lancer! And if your doing your homework I'm sure it's costing no more than any other engine. Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
About time we got some up dates, looking good, headers are really in the perfect position....love the frame reinforcement... where you able to source the headers or did you have to diy them

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
@Road Angels, the headers are an off the shelf item from Speedway. They are made for a truck but work pretty well here too. I didn't know they made them initially and had been making plans to have a set made. Even had the flanges cut but ran across these. They were in the open box area of their website and discounted so I was able to get a pretty good deal on them.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts