Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this car about a year ago a few blocks from my house. I had seen it on Craigs list. It was pretty straight, no engine, trans, windshield or bumpers, oh and no papers. I made him an offer but he wasn't as negotiable as I needed him to be. After texting back and forth over a couple of months he gave me one of those bring me the money today kind of offers, I couldn't pass it up.

There were already projects at home so I really didn't want to look at it so it was hauled out to the parents house. Out of mind, out of site. It worked okay til mid summer. My son was turning 16 and I thought this would be a great father son build. That lasted a very short time, he's just not into 50's cars but we're working on that.

I had no interest in selling it and thought about different ways it could be done. During this time I had blown the engine in my '57 Ford wagon. The original 292 gave up the ghost. This lead me down a very interesting road which allowed me to cross paths with Charlie Burns and Tim McMaster. Charlie had an engine that Tim had built and he was looking for some cash to throw at his land speed car. This was perfect for me as you know, Y-Blocks are a little harder to come by than say, well just about everything. The wagon is now back on the road THANK GOD after three months off the road and is much peppier than the stocker it had in it.

Back to the '56, it was originally a Y-Block V8/auto car. So, maybe put a Y back in it?? I had a few other engine choices but the Y just seemed right. There are still many things to sort out but the main goal is in place. Build a gasser the way it would have been built back in the day. Not a huge thumper motor but a small, high winding Y.

The car will get an upgrade to a four speed, an early top loader. I'm still looking for one of those. Nothing has been touched on it since I drug it home, but that will be changing very soon. The rear diff I've had for years. Its an early Mopar 8.75 that had been set up as a three link, has Moser axles a spool and 4.11s which may be swapped out for set of 4.56s. That old three link stuff will be cut away as we lay plans for the ladder bars.

Covering the Eagle Field Drag racing events over the years sparked the initial idea to build an 8th mile drag car. Shooting for the first event for 2015.

The name for the car slowly developed over a few months. Its a reference to an old Warner Bros cartoon from many years ago. Attached you'll see a can that had a monster put in it. The idea was fun and it stuck to the "Canned Monster was born. A good friend made up the artwork for me as inspiration for the build which we will be putting on tshirts in a few weeks. You can order one if you want, follow the link below.

We've just begin but have done a few things already, I'll try to get the pics posted up ASAP to see what the current status is. Please feel free to ask questions. This is going to be a fun build.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some pics of the heads. These are factory heads that have been taken out to 2.02 x 1.6 which will make it breath really well.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Great car and engine choice! You've definitely chosen and engine that is period, and much tougher to find and find parts for! It looks like the larger valves required the block to be relieved to clear the bores? What kind of compression are you going for with the pop up pistons? Is it a bit high if it's getting a blower like in the cartoon picture?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wont be getting a blower right way. Latter on when the budget allows. Compression will be 12:1. Color scheme should match the illustration pretty darn close. Lots more pictures to post. Thanks for the kind words.

More pics of the engine. Billet double roller timing set, blocked, decked and honed. Pistons going in. 292ci is the final engine size as we started with a 292 block.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More engine shots. Timing set installed. Heads and crank are fully studded to keep the high compression inside this little mouse. Steel head gaskets will be used. Rods as I mentioned are out of a big truck from that era. A good budget build.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam will have real close to .600" lift with the high ratio rockers and 260* duration @ .050

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WAC Customs is sponsoring our straight axle. Huge shout out to Bill over there. He does really great work. I dug up a set of spindles and shipped them out to him. We initially thought we could reuse the kingpins and bushings but that ended up not being the case. He just got the new rebuild kit yesterday. Progress pics of that to come soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Awesome work. Very cool build too.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
If you're going with a period pie crust cheater slick, then I would choose a 15x8.5 wheel. They fit better on a pie crust than a 15x10 will with a 10" pie crust. Both look great, but the 8.5" wheel gives a nice flat sidewall.
Mine are 15x8.5 with a 10" Hurst pie crust on my Falcon:

These are also 15x8.5 with a 10.25" M&H drag radial:

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Vall is right. My firestone pie crusts on 10" torque thrusts have a round shoulder and you can see it wear that way on my burnouts. I don't get a good footprint unless I drop all the air and then I loose my mile per hour.
mario

1 - 20 of 209 Posts