Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys , guess its time to start posting the 55 Gasser

You would think from the looks of it, that it was in decent shape ! ! How ever there's not a panel that's not rusty , dented , or poorly repaired in the past. So the strip down begins.

After chem strip we shot it over to the blasters.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drew up some plans for the rear clip, and cut some light gauge templates.

After which , I shot a picture and sent it off to my water jet guy to cut me four pickle and oiled 11 gauge plates.
Here is one of the plates.

After cleaning the water stain which was mild, I bent up some 11 gauge tops to cover the plates.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I should note that I ground finished the edges of all the joining pieces so they fit with a nice tight gap, so I can tig the outside after mig welding the inside.

I tacked all four side plates together, and mounted them one the mill and had my son Tom drill 1 1/2 inch holes threw.

Here's a trail fil of some scrap 1 1/2 inch tube.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here was my first plan, to have the crossmember inside the notched out plates.

This would work but would work better moving it to were the main hoop will land and won't have any chance of crowding the ladder bars.

Another view with the boxing plates temporarily slid in place.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Great work. Why build your own instead of using 2X3 or 2X4 tubing cut and welded. Is it a strength consideration? Mark L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Looking at the pics again I see what you mean. Just proves--I'm blind in one eye and can't hear out a da other. MArk L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Great work. Why build your own instead of using 2X3 or 2X4 tubing cut and welded. Is it a strength consideration? Mark L
My ONLY GUESS is "because he can"!!!!!

TRULY AMAZING WORK!!!!!

I have looked at Steve's previous posts/threads before...... I really appreciate how he not only takes the time to posts pics of his work but quite often gives us "tips" on how to do things.

Obviously, Steve has the talent, experience & equipment to do things with metal that most of us only DREAM about.

Mark, Vall and...... you guys may remember quite some time ago I picked up a pair of Competition Engineering rear frame rails (made for a Camaro) that I plan to use for extending "real frame rails" all the way to the rear of the Opel.

For some reason the previous owner who added the original parts of 2 x 3 frame to Opel's uni-body design/frame only did what they thought needed to be done.

The 2 x 3 frame is tied to the Opel's frame and attached to the uni-body as needed. What has been done is good.... it's NOT like having a complete one-off frame built by ProStreet Steve but it works.... having been successfully drag raced by the previous owner.

For some unknown, un-explainable, as well as unthinkable reason the 2 x 3 frame only goes as far as it has to for the engine motor mounts & the ladder bar cross member to be mounted.

So the front suspension along with leaf springs and rear shocks rely on uni-body mounting (stock) points.

Like I said I don't know NOR can I figure out WHY it was done this way (Steve???) but I can tell you it's NOT staying that way.

The Comp frame rails & new cross members will provide places for the rear shocks & leaf springs (moved inboard) to be mounted instead of in the "stock" uni-body mounting places.

The front frame rails will be added from just in front of the engine to just in back of the grille. Adding these rails will allow the rack & pinion suspension to be mounted in a way that the front of the car will have the correct "gasser stance".

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
((Like I said I don't know NOR can I figure out WHY it was done this way (Steve???) but I can tell you it's NOT staying that way. ))

Well John ! ! Sounds as if the previous owner was thinking more on the lines of sub-frame connectors, which provides enough support were its needed, without the added weight of additional tubing.
I think completing more of a frame will add additional strength needed to relieve the stress needed for the street use is a great idea.

I've had the opportunity to be under a lot of cars trans formed from street to track and some even back again, and I've learned from so many of them on what I could incorporate into my next job or sometimes learn what not to do.
Part of the enjoyment of each repair or upgrade is figuring out why ! ! Or even a ( WoW ) factor wether good or bad ! :D
On another note I personally like parts in whole or part that have the availability to be removed for ease of service to other components.
I really don't want anyone to look at my work scratching there head thinking what was he thinking..... :D :D

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Always enjoy seeing your fabb work Steve! The frame is nothing short of perfection! Not sure where you find time or focus to have so much going on and still fit in two builds of your own!

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Thanks Guy's
I don't get near as much time on my projects as I'd like to, but Kate's Stang is winding down near the finish and other then mods and changes over the winter it should be a driver here real soon. My Grump is back seat right now till I get the Stang done because it's so close. The 55 is the big job, the 34 is on going with what ever Tim thinks he wants to do next. That just leaves Joe's 34 Chevy, Gary's 62 Biscayne and two other 41 Willys...... Other then that I'm All Good :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
And I'm too lazy to go work on one car. I need some of your "go get 'em pills" Steve. MArk L

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again guys ! ! Brandon , very cool Nova ! And the leaf and ladder suspension is so correct for that build. I remember Lakewood and MNW , we would stick them on our Chevelles and Novas, and with a cool finned aluminum rear 12 bolt cover. :D brings back those good memories.

1 - 20 of 397 Posts