Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love all the advice and opinions here! Also building a gasser "clone" using a buggy style axle from a 37 Plymouth PT-50 truck.my main concern, like most people on here is bump steer. At the present time I have the original steering box along with a 70s style gm tilt steering column some previous owner had installed! I had heard previously on this site somebody mention using a latem80s/early 90s "plain Jane" Chevy s-10 non power steering gear box as apposed to the Vega box! Opinions any one? Obviously need to also go with a cross steer set up to avoid in wanted bump steer and mount the box lower on the frame than what ford did with there's! Another problem I see is a,lot of these post are 5 years old and later! Was wondering if any body still on this site and have they completed their project and what was there out come? Really do enjoy this forum since it is all about gassers and a lot of other forums kind of cringe at the thought of one. People either hate them or they love them!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Welcome aboard... good to see another ford build...I will be watching this one....looks like a great start to a build you got there...and on the cheap well... its what most of us have to do here...LOL

·
Registered
922 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I suggested the S-10 steering box to someone a while back. My understanding is that they're basically the same as a 60's or 70's Chevelle box and I thought it it would be easier to find in the boneyard than a good Chevelle or Vega box. They should have the same mounting bolt pattern as a Vega, but a longer input shaft and is a larger unit. I used a Vega box, front cross steer, just like the Vega. The stock pittman arm dropped just the right amount to line up with my steering arm on the spindle. I haven't driven it a whole lot, but it drives pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi, it looks like a great base to work with. Some of the threads are older, we probably just beat them to death :) If you have questions about them, fire away. Several of us have completed our builds (well sort of). Some (Vall) have more than one at work. look around, you should find what you need. We love all forms of gasser cars and trucks. Welcome to the madness.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've used Vega boxes, Corvair boxes, and a late 70's Courier box. The Toyota truck, or Courier/Ranger boxes are a great choice, if you find them in a manual box. They are tall enough to sit above the frame to line up with the column, but deep enough to let the pitman arm sit in line with the backing plate, and not have an angled drag link.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Welcome to the forum Henry, we're all, well at least most of us are here. I've been building for 4 years so just because threads or posts are old it doesn't mean we're all gone. Enjoy the forum and post all you can and someone will see it and be there when trouble arises. Lots of great talent here.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Yeah, I have to go back 4-5 pages to find both of my builds. Unless I add something to them, they'll continue to keep slipping back into the project thread section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts