Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! What a forum you have here. Nothing but gassers! I guess you can say my infatuation with gassers started when I was about 10 or so! Ya know, Aurora-A/FX slot cars of the early 70s! Had the Aurora Willy's, 55 Chevy etc, etc. Would take the tires and rims off the A/FX cars (looked like american torqe-thrust) with the skinny fronts and wide rears and presto! Instant "gasser". Then came the mid 70s, a kid down the street had a 69 G.T.O. straight axle, candy green, skinny cragers up front, L-60s out back, talk about a hairy looking ride! In the late 70s I was lucky enough to obtain a 55 2 Dr wagon roller from a friend who joined the army! Multi color candy Watson style paint, fiberglass lift off front, glass doors, plexi glass windows, 10% set back on the motor, straight axle, big and little Crager S/S all for a whopping, wait for it..........$1000.00! Ya, I know. If I only knew!!! Just last year I found out who originally built it! Pretty cool I think! I was told last month the car still,exist untouched about an hour away stuffed in a garage in Rochester NY. Where it will probably stay for the next 10-20 years if you know what I mean!? My build is a old race car from back in the 70s and later commissioned to do street duty for a short time before being stuffed in a barn. I got it about a month ago as a roller, rough but a good start for what I'm about to do to it! Included was a glass hood and front fenders the I'm going to build into a one PC tilt! I picked up a 74 302, low mileage(still has motor craft plug wires), just a quick clean up, couple new gaskets, aluminum intake and sm holley, some reproduction finned valve covers and call it a day (for now)! Also grabbed a old Maverick 3 speed stick (said it was ultra low buck)! The axle is out of a 37 Plymouth pt 50 truck, under 35000 original but still had an ameture restoration in the early 80s, new springs, brake lines and a couple other fr end pcs. Then put up on blocks until very recently! Figured it was time to start a build thread and I promise (cough cough), not to make a novel like I've just done here (I have a tendency to get carried away). Plan on using stock frame rails (stripped of all nessacary items), and will need to build mounts off the inside of the frame since leaf spring mounts are a little narrower than the ford frame! Will be building a new front cross member to mount the front of the leafs. Then remove remaining frame, radiator support and other un needed parts in order to fabricate tilt for 'glass front! Thanks for reading a will keep the up dates as I progress!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'll be following this build very closely.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Glad to see you got the build thread up and going.....we love pictures here

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Those '55 Fords are great looking car; especially in a 2 dr. sedan! Thanks for starting a build thread! And we love details, so don't mind how much detail you add to your posts!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car pictured is a 54, but thanks for the compliments. Once the weather breaks I'll get moving on it and post as I go!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Just saw a '53-'54 two door wagon at last Saturdays swap meet. Most bodies down here are near rust free but it was rough. Although major panel replacement was not needed. Made me think about it and wished I had room on my yard to put an extra car when I come across good deals. It will make a great gasser. Good luck and most of all, have fun. Everyone here is ready willing and able to help you with any questions you have. Now---go git 'er done!!!!! LOL

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been down with the flu since sat, starting to feel better. I aware this is the worst one I ever had. Hoping after easter I can get out and get going! First matter at hand are brackets off rear inside of frame and new front cross member to mount the front of springs! Once axle gets mounted, assemble fiberglass front end and build a tilt for it!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Are all the components still readily available for the old Plymouth front axle? Staying with the drums, or swapping to disc?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably going to stay with the drum brakes, at least for now. 35000 original miles and the guy I bought it from, his dad restored it any ways back in the early 80s. New springs, brakes, hoses, various front end components i would guess since most of the cotter pins appear to be quite new .Then put up on jack stands in a barn until very recently. Love the 46 Austin, when I was a kid some guy ran a drag (gasser) car at local drag strips. Niagara and Lancaster. Went by the name of "The Austin Strangler"!!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Thanks! Looked a lot when I had the name put on mine, and tried not to copy another car's name. At least not one from another Austin.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
On my 53 I've got a Dodge I-beam front axle and Dodge 8 3/4 differential housing both with the big drum brakes. It stops just fine at any speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up a set of 14" aluminum slots for the front of the 54. Not sure of the width but they are thin! Can anybody tell me what the tallest and thinnest 14" tires are that are still being produced? I know 15" would have been more idea but a lot more $$$$, and as my title says, "on the cheap"! Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Slim choices for 14" tires, and selection wont be easy. Most likely you'll have to buy whatever you can find, and not be picky. Had 14" spokes on the front of my Falcon, and my local tire store basically had one size to fit my wheel width, and no other options. I eventually sold them, and switched to 4.5"x15" spokes, so I could run taller, and skinnier tires.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You might have to go to Coker tire to find what you are looking for. Summit carries 14 tires, but don't remember if they carry 70 or 75 series. I was looking at the 60 series for my Javelin.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have 185-14 Cooper Trendsetters on 14X6 wheels. They would look a lot better on skinnier wheels but the Cooper charts says 6" is acceptable. I'm not sure what the skinniest acceptable rim size is, but their chart is on their website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just came across centerline 15x3.5 really cheap! Problem is, would they look right on a straight axle car? Satin finish auto drag, the original full face version. Just can't picture it! Remember, I'm going after a mid 70s style build here! What year did centerlines hit the market? If they don't look right I'll just polish them and run them on e bay! For what I paid I can only make money on these (something I'm not a custom to)!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Centerlines wont look the part but hey they will work....for some reason they seem to pop up regular on craigslist for cheap...no real resale value...from what I have seen

·
Registered
644 Posts
Go to Diamond Back. dbtires.com They will even give you a speed rating.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Doesn't everybody! Plus cash. I know I'm going to win the lotto!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts