Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 54 and a 55 Chevy straight front axle from pickups. I want to put one under a '38 gasser. How can I convert these to 5 lug bolt pattern? I'm OK with either disk or drum brakes. Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! So do you know what the bolt pattern size of the '49 thru '54 cars is? I already have wheels I want to use that are 4.75".

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
'49-'54 Chevys are standard 5x4.75" Chevy pattern. They are also a complete drum/hub assembly originally, although aftermarket replacements sell the drums and hubs as separate pieces. If you find originals they'll be one piece units riveted together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you use the early Chevy hubs you will probably have to grind off the rivet heads. They interfere with most after market wheels. Drums and hubs don't need to be riveted together anyway. Drums way up to the 60's will work without the rivets.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
A 1/4" Transdapt wheel spacer will also take care of the rivet interference, and not change width by much. They're $15 a pair at Summit, and simply slip over the studs. The extra holes will clear the rivets, and let aftermarket wheels sit flush.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
This is what I found. I bought somthing similar from a local shop and had to get my own rotors and bearings and calipers. Hey wait a minute I think I got ripped off. Lol
The kit I bought was brackets and spacers to use the 70's camaro rotors and brakes.
Mario

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts