Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Where to start. Bought the 53 a few years ago with V8 and 12 volt already done. Motor was shot so plan was to just dump a fresh small block in it and rock it. After pulling motor, the stance looked cool and I thought how cool would it be to build a gasser. Sooooo a few weeks later, went to Maryland to look at a truck with a buddy and got to talking to the guy selling it. Mentioned the 53, etc... He says he has a front axle from a 49 F1 pickup laying in the bushes for 20+ years that I can have. Grabbed a tape measure, made a call, the rest is history.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha another one! I have a 302 already assembled so I'm going to throw that in there. Im always open to other options if I happen upon them though!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Now dat be a rightious gasser look. It's going to be a killer ride. Doing great. Mark L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Stealth rims, gottta love it, HA! Mark L

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Working on putting in mock up motor this weekend, realized that the speedway tubular crossmember winds up below the frame rail if i want to keep my 3 degrees on the block and existing trans mount. Ugh.
Fabbed up cradles for the crossmember to go under the frame rails, not exactly how I wanted to spend the day. Was figuring, "yeah pop a couple nice clean holes in the frame, slip in crossmember, weld it up, bam done" nnnnnope.
pics soon.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Been through that before. That's why I build my own mounts now.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts