Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1951 dodge coronet /5.7 vortec / 700r/ Ford Explorer 8.8
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased this 1951 dodge coronet coupe with intentions of low and slow , I first went though replaced brake system (lines / cylinder / wheel cylinders pads etc. ) but when I came to rear end it was impossible to source new rear drums so I did a little digging found out I could swap 8.8 out of 91 explorer it’s almost exact width hub to hub with same bolt pattern 5 on 4.5 it’s off a 4x4 so it’s got 31 spline axles . Next replaced fuel system lines and tank and got the old inline 6 going didn’t care for 3 on the tree so I pulled it and was going to swap t5 trans but found a deal on the 5.7 w/ 700r trans (which was easier I didn’t have to deal with clutch and adapter plates) mind you I’m really trying to build as inexpensive as possible in my driveway lol so swap motor / trans / rear end then on to exhaust hedman long tube with full exhaust I believe those are some single chambers I got off speedway . Bought some wheels and whitewalls mounted and balanced at the house . Then bout a 12 circuit harness wired up motor and that’s where the project stalled lost interest with wiring up head and tail lights lol

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bought a kit from butchs cool stuff to mount engine 1-2” over toward passenger to utilize original steering bought a kit for rack and pinion but never installed

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you are off to a great start!
So I’m currently installing Holley sniper efi ( don’t have any pics yet) I’ve ordered my speedway axle kit should ship 16th so hopefully I’ll have some more pics sooner than later in mean time I also need pull rear end out and do leaf over conversation to jack it up lol

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Your setup is pretty similar to what I used for drivetrain on my '39 Chev coupe gasser build. I'm using a 1990 350 SBC roller motor, but put Dart heads, and a big Howards roller camshaft in mine. I also had a 3.73 posi 8.8" rear axle laying here, and a rebuilt 700R4, so those went in mine also. I used a '58 Chevy truck axle converted to disc brakes with a Speedway kit, and also converted to 5x4.5" hubs with the kit.
Looks like you're well into converting your coupe to a gasser. I think you'll be glad you chose to go this route with it. Gassers are lots of fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts