Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal here is to build a street gasser that looks as though it was built in the late 60's and hasn't had much done to it over the years. Trying not to break the bank as I go. My build thread will be slow.

So far the car has a 9" rear with a Detroit locker and 410's. I repositioned the springs to center the wheel in the wheel well. I'm going to build my ladder bars and add a shackle to the top of the front mount for pivot. I'm toying with the idea of adding coil over shocks in conjunction with the leaf springs.

I'm relocating the front axle now. Not going crazy high but still a tad higher than the rear. Flaming River Vega box and column was installed by the previous owner.

I have the front fenders jigged in place to build my slide-tilt system for the front.
Getting ready to replace the two front floor pans. I don't think this will look like a pro build when I'm done, but then that's what I'm going for.

My goal is to end up with a big block and tunnel ram for sure, but if something odd and interesting comes on the market between now and then who knows ?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very cool car. Always liked those cars and even more so as a gasser. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Looks like you are on the right track for chassis ideas. What are your plans for power plant and tranny? Keep sharing your progress we love to hear about it and crave the pictures.
Greg

·
Registered
655 Posts
This is great, the closest thing I've found to my 51 Dodge build. I'm even going BBC, tunnel ram, but I'm going auto. Great start, I'll be following this one. What axle and what springs are you using?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the interest guys. To answer some questions, I'm not sure what the front axle came out of. It has 1 3/4" springs with 1/2" id - 3/4" od bushings with Chevy disc brakes mounted. I'm open for suggestions on what shocks I might use if I do go big block. As far as transmission goes, I'm waiting to see if I can find a engine - trans combo to rebuild. I'm fine with a auto and high stall if that's what I find but a Muncie or Toploader that would be great. The car lift is a Auto Lift 6000 lb. You can find them on the web for $1400.00 or so. Its great for my back. You rethink what you used to do with jacks and stands and for the price it's well worth it. Not so great for doing trans and driveline work since the center of the car is not accessible. No biggie, I can work around that.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi Tim,
Looks like you have a great project going. Since you haven't settled on an engine yet and you're open to suggestions have you considered a Cadillac 500 cubic inch engine. These things are torque MONSTERS. Over the last few years I've helped my cousin with his gasser build, a 54 Buick. He went with a blower on his motor and the performance is absolutely unreal. There is a company here in SoCal, Maximum Torque, that specializes in Cad motors and is where he got all his engine parts. Looking forward to following your build.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you ask Steve, the only other engines I'm considering are Buick or Cadillac. Years ago I had a 70 Buick 455 GS and I loved the high torque that engine had. I've never ran a Cad but I remember a Cad a friend of mine built years ago with roller valvetrain and 6 Strombergs. I will definitely look up Max Torque. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Check out Gearheadworld on Ebay. Found them the other day, they have stuff for Cads, and a lot of cool stuff. Prices are reasonable to. Now get to work, we need more info and PICS!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi Tim,
I'm guessing from your post name that your name is Tim so correct me if I'm wrong. You haven't posted for a bit but when I saw this on Ebay today I thought I'd send it along. It's a 53 Chevy but basically the same lines as yours and it's painted Red. You hadn't mentioned anything about color or if you were even planning on painting it. This just gives you an idea of what it might look like Red. These early Chevys seem to be a very popular choice for a gasser build and show up on Ebay fairly often in a multitude of colors. It's a great way to see what your car might look like in a particular color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-O...tr=true&hash=item1c59f3358c&item=121768195468

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Steve. My original plan was to go as is, patina and rust. I've been rethinking this off and on. I really like the home built rustic look but its not my first nature. I've got plenty of time to figure it out. After I get the rolling chassis complete and the tilt front end figured out then I'll have to make up my mind. I'm figuring it out as I go and trying to do it all myself. It cracks me up to watch these car build shows on TV where you've got 10 people working on one car and within the hour you get to see the car completed. I wonder if people who've never been involved with a car build really think it's that easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Tim that's an awesome project and your already getting a lot done. That stance and patina will be killer. Maybe some faded flames on the front too. :). Hope all goes your way.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I personally think the early 50's Chevys are much better looking than the later '53-'54 Chevys. They just look a little smaller, and a coupe in the '49-'52 is just a great looking body!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I personally think you should paint this beauty. Any color would look great on it. I have not been able to wrap my brain around featuring a worn out run down look of a car that sat in a field for 50 years but is mechanically great. I have seen lots of these and they even had clear coat to "preserve" the look.

So I know that its me that is out of touch, with the modern world. I cant understand the rage of having your car painted in a dull coat that looks like you just painted a primer coat and left it that way. But look how many cars are out there just like that. Plus if I had the skills to build a sweet ride this cool I would have to have a sweet paint job because I actually love polishing my car. Its one of the pure joys of owning a car so many others will never even understand, much less own.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I can't believe I missed this thread...what an awesome build!!! Can't wait to see the rest. Thanks for sharing all the updates!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I tack welded my ladder bar system in place and it was looking super functional. Then when I put the car on the ground and stood back and looked, you really can't see them. Pulled them off and going to make some different mounts in the next day or so. I know that may sound superficial, but oh well.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
If I were doing mine from scratch like you are that would be very important to me too.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts