Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just signed up and I’m building a 1951 Chevy Bel Air (hardtop) project. I’ve been collecting parts and info for some time but just started working on it. I’m in North Texas, not too far from Fort Worth.

The plan is to add an early 50s Chevy ½ ton axle with disc brakes, a BBC, an old Doug Nash 5 speed and possibly an Olds/Pontiac rear end (if I find a deal on one). I’m just starting to mock things up and I’ll post some pictures as I start putting it together.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome aboard dmh_sr! It sounds like you have a great plan laid out for your Chevy. I'm looking forward to watching the progress and transition of your build. You'll find a great group of guys here with a passion for old school gassers yet open to new ideas and individual diversities, a wealth of knowledge and experience and a willingness to share it.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Welcome aboard.......1951 is a fine year........pics are a must

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Love the 51 as a gasser. We love lots of pics. Great guys here great cars here and looks like you'll fit right in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think I figured out how to post pictures. The green beast is what it currently looks like. The picture of Gene Schwartz's car is kinda what I'm aiming for.

My car is a 51 but a previous owner installed a 52 grill, will change it back. And I'll start a build thread soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Very cool. It's a great project. Wish you well with it. What kind of power plant will you be running?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Welcome to the forum "dmh_sr"; is there a name that goes with the posts or you just want to be known as dmh. For my 2 cents on your motor, what's that old racer adage; "there's no replacement for displacement".
Looking forward to watching your build and seeing the progress photos.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Welcome aboard the Crazy Train. Stroke it, for sure. Looking forward to your build. Kick your feet up and stay awhile.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Thanks Mario. I've got an old 454 that I'll rebuild and either de-stroke to a 427 or bore to 468.
I love the 427 because of nostalgia. I have a 454 and wanted to make it a 427, but an older engine builder from the 60's asked me "why do you want smaller cubic inch" more cubic inch , more power. Lesson Learned. Wish you well whatever you choose. Go big block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum "dmh_sr"; is there a name that goes with the posts or you just want to be known as dmh. For my 2 cents on your motor, what's that old racer adage; "there's no replacement for displacement".
Looking forward to watching your build and seeing the progress photos.
Thanks. Among other things, I'm called Dan.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
I'd stay with as much cubic inch as you can Dan. I had a 427 in my '71 Camaro and loved it. Sweet engine, but nothing close to my .040" over 454 I have in my Falcon now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts