Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll try this one more time..... I'm not going into detail this time until I see how this thread goes... or should I say where it goes? :confused:

I acquired a '50 Ford pickup about four years ago from a friend in Virginia. He had plans of building a "Rat Rod." The old workhorse was/is a great candidate for such but I'm just not a Rat Rod guy. I applaud anyone building a hot rod to their on desires, visions and abilities. I can appreciate the differences in all people and realize their ideas and finished products are constructed to please themselves. That being said, I prefer to think of this project as a 60's style Altered.

When I picked up the truck it was basically a roller. It had an old sbc 350 and Saginaw 4 speed transmission for mock-up. An S10 rearend and Chassis Engineering I-beam front axle under a 2X3 tube frame with four-link suspension. The cab top had been chopped, the floor boards replaced, mostly, and all of the glass except the windshield were plexiglass. The bed had been shortened and narrowed and attached to an inch and a half square tubing frame. The set of Cragar Super Trick wheels and bias tires "set 'er off." Other wise, I would say she is a good..... 30 footer! You'll see what I mean as I progress.

I have chosen to complete this project before continuing the Morris Gasser, as it will, hopefully, be a much quicker build. At this point.... I need a ride!

I look forward to sharing this project with you all and hope you will enjoy seeing the progress as much as I. Please chime in at will and I welcome any and all helpful suggestions or constructive criticism.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
So this morning I'm clicking on the "what's new" tab, and I see your build highlighted. But came here to see what you added, and of course the site is acting up and sending me to topics that aren't new! Same old same old! Will they ever fix this site?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this morning I'm clicking on the "what's new" tab, and I see your build highlighted. But came here to see what you added, and of course the site is acting up and sending me to topics that aren't new! Same old same old! Will they ever fix this site?
Good Question, Vall! Other than my first 50 Ford thread disappearing I really haven't had any issues. I don't use the "what's new" button so I don't know about that one. I only use the "New Posts" button and so far no problems. :confused:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I started on the '50 F1 a few weeks ago. There were several areas of concern as to condition and structural integrity. Both front cab corners and the left rear cab corner showed sign of previous repair. Inside, there was a fairly large area of rust-through over the windshield. I started with the grinder on the front corners and found a ton of mud and sheet metal repair on both. The sheet metal was really warped, thus the heavy mud, so I decided to cut out the old repair. The right front door post was in extremely poor condition and probably would need to be replaced. Moving to the left rear corner I found more shoddy repair and rust through that needed to be removed. Next I removed the windshield. Wow! With the windshield rubber came a large section of the upper frame pinch weld.

I have not done any body work in 40 or so years and never done any fabrication. I called my buddy Skeet to come over and look at the mess I have.... or have created. He's a fabrication Guru from way back.... and loves a good challenge. After he smoked it over we decided to order patch panels for all three corners. They were available on eBay and reasonably priced. I also found a good used door post on eBay and purchased it. The Windshield frame was what really had me worried. But Skeet assured me it was not a huge problem at all. Not that I doubt him.... But we'll see!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Hood Automotive tire Wood Bumper Vehicle door Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Gas Tints and shades Flooring Event

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Nice to have a buddy who is knowledgeable to fall back on! Also nice to be doing a popular vehicle with patch panels available!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Well look at you Robert. You're in the thick of things. :). Good to see you takin on that type of project. I love it. Glad you had a friend to help. Can't wait to see the progress pics.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys! You all are a huge inspiration.

Skeet is a really good friend and like many of the guys here, willing to help most anyone. He's a huge inspiration also.

Last weekend I loaded the truck and took it to Skeet's garage where he has all the tools needed to get the patch panels replaced. The panels I got from eBay fit very well and saved a ton of time. Skeet fabricated a few additional panels including some lower panels and rear roll pan for the bed. The bed also only had the two front stake pockets. He had a couple left over from a previous job so we welded them on the rear. I was amazed at the difference these few things made.

I made a trip to the salvage yard a few weeks ago and cut the floor out of an S-10 bed. It couldn't have fit more perfectly! :cool:

I cut out the damaged windshield frame today and began the repair. Skeet had also made me a couple of pieces to weld in but to say I was nervous is a huge under statement. But so far, I think it's going pretty well.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Automotive tire Bumper Wood Gas Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Artisan T-shirt Welding Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, maybe I'll get this uploading down pat before the Morris is finished... :D

The windshield repair and one of Skeet's projects.... I'm trying but with little success to convince 'em that Willys needs a straight axle.... :) Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Nice work...but geeezzz it made my ass pucker seeing you grind with shorts on

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Guessing that's Skeet grinding, since the shirt says "Skeet's Garage" on the back.

But you guys are sure making quick work of the body repairs on the Ford! That bed looks like factory now!

Are those Weber carbs on the tunnel ram in his Willys?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Guessing that's Skeet grinding, since the shirt says "Skeet's Garage" on the back.

But you guys are sure making quick work of the body repairs on the Ford! That bed looks like factory now!

Are those Weber carbs on the tunnel ram in his Willys?
No, Vall, they are Holleys with an air cleaner that looks like injection stacks.... I'm not real fond of them, and Skeet isn't either I don't think. They were one of those spontaneous purchases at the Auto Fair. And yes, that is Skeet doing the grinding.... But that's normal attire for the Crystal Coast.... :D :D

And I have been amazed also at how well the repair is going. But there's a lot more than it appears. Probably more than I should do and definitely more than most folks would do but I'd rather fix it now than to wish later I had. The firewall had 128 holes in it! :confused: Unbelievable! But I'm workin' on it!

Astronomical object Tree Gas Plant Circle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although I didn't make much visible progress last night any progress at this point is a good thing. During my visit a few weeks ago to the salvage yard for the bed floor I also got another S-10 rearend. The one in the truck is an 8.2 with a 2.93 gear. The one in the ZR2 I cut the bed out of had an 8.5 with a 4.10 posi gear and disc brakes. I think it will be a great match for the little 287 and 700r4.

So last night I stripped down the new rear, made a list and ordered the parts necessary to get it back up to snuff, except for the e-brake cables. They'll have to wait till I get the rear installed and see how long.... or short, they need to be. If any of you guys have ideas on how to best deal with e-brake cables I may need suggestions... :) Anyway, maybe tonight I can get the old brackets cut off and get the housing cleaned up and read for new brackets to go on. I'll probably use the brackets from the rear that came under the truck but with some modifications.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Best way to deal with E brake cables is to get as much of the pieces you can off the donor vehicle! I always find it easier to adapt to the vehicle I'm building if I can scrounge mounting tabs, clips, etc. from the donor.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Robert I saw the other thread you started and that truck is so cool. I never saw that thread before. Go figure. Anyway nice job and great progress so far. Way to go.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I deleted the other thread. Maybe now, not so confusing..... :)

Vall, I agree.... when I hit the salvage yard I always come away from there with anything I think I may ever need. Do you think that may be how I have managed to own so much junk? :D :D But I love it!!! You just can't have too much!

Thanks, Mario! I hate that you've had such a frustrating ordeal here.... Maybe it's getting back to a more normal state!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
When we pull 8.8" Ford axles from donor rigs, I remove the E brake brackets off the frame, and also pull the common connector that ties the two cables to one from the operator. If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd even pull the main cable and e brake handle too! But I have to decide what point it becomes too much work, and wont make them easier to adapt to my hotrods.
I grabbed a couple floor or console type e brake handles from vehicles to mount in my Austin and the Falcon. I tried to find those that could be easily mounted on a flat floor, and wrote down what they came out of, in case I needed to buy a certain cable to go from handle to the rear e brakes. I built a cover for the Austin, but used the factory boot for the Falcon.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Vall. Good input there. I wonder about finding the correct length of cables. They'll probably be pretty short on the '50. I foresee crawling under quite a few junkers with the measuring stick.... :D

I'm hoping the rain clears up today so I can sand blast the new housing and get the brackets welded on and some paint on it.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
When I'm crawling around the wrecking yards looking for donor brake cables, I rule out any that looks too tough too remove. When I built the E brake system for my Austin I just looked at those that had a handle I liked, and were small cars, with short cables. Once I pulled the handle system, I left the cable and just ordered a new cable for that type of car. They usually run around $10 on the internet, and not worth pulling a used one that's old enough it might break soon.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Over the years I collected cables and brackets off of junk cars I scrapped. I actually left the E brake off the MG. I ended the cables from the backing plates at a chassis bracket so I can run the rest at a later date. I bought an E brake lever from ebay years ago to do this. MG is tight for a stand up lever.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hi Robert,
We have a company out here called 'Control Cables Inc'. They make up just about any configuration you might need. I've had them do several cables for my Harleys. I'd think there has to be a similar company somewhere near you. If not here is their contact information. They've got fair prices and a quick turn around.
9816 Alburtis Ave,
Santa Fe Springs, CA

Phone: (562) 949-0455

1 - 20 of 51 Posts