Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for one more steering arm to complete my set up. Does any one have one left over from their build ? I need the flat ones ,I am planning on running two arms on the passenger side spindle.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think there's two different ones, right and left.. I have one leftover. post a pic of the exact one you need. I might have it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
speedway arm

Nova 037.jpg Here is the one I need it is used on driver side I am flipping it over and using it on the passenger side top of spindle to run steering box arm>

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dale, I'll take a look and let you know. Just for curiosity, are you running the tie rod behind or in front of the axle? Maybe post a pic of the whole setup?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dale, haven't got a chance yet to look for the part, but I will.

And... I hate to be a bearer of bad news, and I'm not trying to sound like Mr. knowitall. BUT.... you need to run that tie rod BEHIND the axle. I noticed in your pic it looked like it was in front, that's why I asked. Hopefully you are still mocking stuff up and haven't committed a bunch of fab work to this setup yet. If you run it in front with those steering arms, your ackerman will be all messed up.

A brief explanation - The distance between the tie rod holes is LESS than the distance between your kingpins. If the steering tie rod is located behind the axle, draw an imaginary line from your kingpin to the tie rid end on each side, those imaginary lines should intersect somewhere right around the 3rd member on your rear axle. This helps the car turn correctly.

If you mount that tie rod in front, draw those imaginary lines again. The lines will splay out somewhere OUTSIDE the rear wheels. No good. There are specific steering arms to use the tie rod in front of the axle, but on those the distance of the tie rod holes is GREATER than the distance between king pins.It's a safety and driveability issue.

Again, I am meaning to be helpful not critical. That's what we are here for.
Here are a couple pics to help explain, Maybe google "ackerman steering" to do a little research. And I am going to put a thread linked here in the steering section so we can all help you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts