Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I started this before, but here it goes again. Paid to much! But it is a Dorset! For right now collecting parts and trying to get jerks from parking in front of the garage I rent

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you can see, axle is way to wide. That will go. Been thinking transverse spring or coil over. Still working on getting more pix. Lifted it up and the wheels moved 1/4 inch! Kingpins are that bad.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That is a way cool looking car. If you want to stay with a leaf spring front, you might try Speedway, you can get different widths and be able to dial in the look you want.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Since it appears the I beam axle was narrowed already; you could just cut and narrow it some more. That would save a bunch of money. Just need to figure out what it is and buy a kingpin kit for it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think its a Ford. Still toying of a transverse spring. Something like this. Getting 500 Cad engine this week. Can set it back more. Dis up front. Also got 2 Predator carbs. Need rebuild. Collecting parts for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New pix of scary steering

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Collapsed mono leaf in front. Cant understand why it rides so hard. Maybe shocks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That looks like an old Econoline van axle ,from looking at the pictures. That what was under my first Dorset. They had used dual leafs under it, and so did I when I built my current Austin . But I built my chassis ,so it was easier to use the dual springs. Also used a Vega box which helped a lot. Bill

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Well I've seen a lot worse steering setups! My biggest concern would be all that column hanging out there unsupported, and the way they did the joint to the steering box from the column. The short arm from box to steering arm can create some issues, as the angles change radically as the steering goes from lock to lock. Push-pull, or cross steer should be set up to have a long enough drag link to not create sharp angle changes as you steer or hit bumps.
I'm surprised also that single leaf on each side would ride hard? Shocks look like enough shaft showing to not bottom out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gunna trash the whole front end. To unruly. Including column. Driven straight axle cars before, long tome ago. Never remember being this harsh. And drove 4X4 tow trucks. Short arm? Love the pittman arm. Hope I can use it again.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
may not show in the photos but I dont see a shack at either end of the leaf spring...that would make it ride hard as hell

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still haven't figured out what the steering box is. But that's getting trashed too. Will have a bunch of parts up for sale in the spring.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Notice bent tie-rod sleave.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Yeah I saw the bent tie rod. Wonder if that was for pan clearance, or just bent during engine install and never straightened? My Econoline axle came with a similar bent tie rod, but put it in my press and pressed it back straight. They're actually pretty soft, and easy to straighten.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plenty of room. Unless under a different incarnation. To many things hacked out to not have been a drag car in a previous life.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
When my Austin was in it's original black paint, I had numerous guys tell me they had seen it back in the day at the local dragstrips! Since it was a stock Austin when I built it, I tried to argue, but often lost. A couple were just positive I was mistaken, and could not have built it recently!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Original firewall gone, and most of floor all the way to the trunk. Body appears to be mostly a sheet-metal shell.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New engine. Bye, Bye small block junk! Make Room for Daddy. Biggest production V8! Cost big money to build. Maybe I should put it in stock. Yeah right:cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts