Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is finally here so now I can start the build.
It's a 1947 Mercury,currently with the stock flathead, three speed, and banjo diff.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Merc John. It will make a great Gasser and unique as well.

Mark

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
OK just had a thought, you have to run a 427. Either a Ford or a Chevy, then your engine call out (decal) can be made with a large ' then a large 4 with a small lowered 2 (like when you write H 2 O with a smaller dropped 2???) and then a big 7 ending in Merc. I wished I knew how to manipulate the keyboard better to write it like I want it. Hope that wasn't as clear as mud???

So it would look like this, only with a small dropped 2.

'427 Merc

It's saying '47 Merc with a small 2 between the 4 and the 7??? Genius hey?? (yeah right, a genius would know how to put that stupid little 2 in there!!!! HA!)

Mark

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Great start John. Those are actually really big cars. But with some thought and research it should prove to be a great gasser candidate. Looking forward to your build.

·
Registered
157 Posts
OK just had a thought, you have to run a 427. Either a Ford or a Chevy, then your engine call out (decal) can be made with a large ' then a large 4 with a small lowered 2 (like when you write H 2 O with a smaller dropped 2???) and then a big 7 ending in Merc. I wished I knew how to manipulate the keyboard better to write it like I want it. Hope that wasn't as clear as mud???

'427 Merc

It's saying '47 Merc with a small 2 between the 4 and the 7??? Genius hey?? (yeah right, a genius would know how to put that stupid little 2 in there!!!! HA!)

Mark
‘427

Best I can do

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I wanted to build something that was a little different.
To give you a comparison of the size of the car, it's an inch narrower than my 06'Charger but it's around an inch and a half longer.
The stock front and rear suspensions are both transverse leaf.
What I'm thinking is a straight axle front the same width as stock w/ parallel leafs(probably a Speedway kit), for the rear suspension it will be ladderbars and coilovers.
I'm using the engine/trans that came out of my Nova- BBC (454) with a 6-71& th350 . The diff will be a 9" (I already have a 3.50 limited slip center section)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

'427 Merc

Mark
That would look pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
No one has to know it's a 454, heh!!!!

Zack, really close but drop the 2 down a little lower and squeeze the 4 and the 7 just a little closer and you have it.

Mark

·
Registered
157 Posts
No one has to know it's a 454, heh!!!!

Zack, really close but drop the 2 down a little lower and squeeze the 4 and the 7 just a little closer and you have it.

Mark
I know what you are after, but I just can't seem to make the formatting work with the forum code. I really liked the idea though. I thought about doing something similar since my car originally came with a 327 but now it has a 350 in it. So on the side I was going to add in a + sign.

Something like: 327+ cu. in.

But do the 327 cu. in. in regular-ish block lettering and do the + in a little different slant. To try and make it stand out.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I know what you are after, but I just can't seem to make the formatting work with the forum code. I really liked the idea though. I thought about doing something similar since my car originally came with a 327 but now it has a 350 in it. So on the side I was going to add in a + sign.

Something like: 327+ cu. in.

But do the 327 cu. in. in regular-ish block lettering and do the + in a little different slant. To try and make it stand out.
I have old Camaro 327 emblems on the hood side grilles of my Austin. When I replaced the engine with the 355, I just left them. People can't tell the difference, as they generally look at the heads to determine age, and I still have the old camel humps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been working steadily on the coupe. The interior is out and today I started getting ready to pull the engine/trans out.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Oh the fun begins. :)
Mario

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:The new trunk floor was delivered , started disassembling the front sheetmetal today. I think I should by stock in wd-40.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Love WD40. I use it all the time. One little trick I learned from an old timer. Add a little transmission fluid to the spray bottle if you use it by the gallon refills. It will coat and preserve everything you spray. He used it on his lathes and drill press equipment out in a garage.
Mario

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Update:The new trunk floor was delivered , started disassembling the front sheetmetal today. I think I should by stock in wd-40.
I know what you mean.... Gone through plenty of WD-40 & PB blaster.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I found an old method for breaking loose bolts, 50/50 mix of Acetone and Transmission oil. Works really well. Just keep it in a good container as the acetone will creep out if not.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I've used them all, and had pretty good luck with most. Some stubborn bolts need time, and reapplication prior to removal. Some require a little heat first, and then a shot of penetrant when they cool enough to not smoke the penetrant. And then there's the ones you just put a big old breaker bar on and twist them off, cuz nothing else works!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts