Gasser HotRod Forums banner
401 - 416 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Coming from

you Vall I consider that knowledgeable validation. I was going exactly for that look and style of the gassers I grew up with, built, worked on, raced and especially the street racers.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Steve, I like the spokes on your truck. Personally, slots, spokes or Cragers are all period look correct. Even steelies or chrome reverse. Kinda depended on how much money you could spare. All I could afford back then was slots :eek:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
I've decided

it's time to get the side windows in the Willys. I purchased the Lexan quite sometime back and it's been sitting around collecting dust. Since the doors are two piece fiberglass, riveted together and the two pieces combined make up the slot for the cloth channel to sit in I decided to go with a slider ala Two Lane Blacktop 55 Chevy. The front half piece will be fixed and the rear half piece will be the slider. I've got the aluminum channel for the slide lower track and a half ass idea on how to do it (couldn't find any help on you tube) but I thought I'd throw it out there for any suggestions or ideas from the forum. Yes, I did think about the old Thunderbolt windows with the canvas strap to raise and lower them but I like the slider idea better.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I know the car and movie but never saw the slider setup. So I can’t offer anything yet. Hope I come across something.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Betting a window supply place, or manufacturer would have the vinyl or aluminum track for two pieces to slide past. Might even be able to make both halves slide so you can choose whether you want the front or back half to slide open.
Walmart sells two channel 1/4 per channel aluminum also that might work.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRL-1679...uGGNbE3IL8QZ3z_FRSUP2Bve2dkuGy9xoC5JUQAvD_BwE

Two meters for $30 might be enough to do both top and bottom of both doors?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Here

you go Mario. Thanks Vall, didn't know 2 channel aluminum could be bought; I purchased some single channel pieces and was going to JB Weld them together. Lash, when watching the movie and also some of the publicity shots it shows the car as having no windows so I believe that these were made to lift in and out which I was planning on doing.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Jaw Automotive exterior Automotive mirror Vehicle Vehicle door

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
you go Mario. Thanks Vall, didn't know 2 channel aluminum could be bought; I purchased some single channel pieces and was going to JB Weld them together. Lash, when watching the movie and also some of the publicity shots it shows the car as having no windows so I believe that these were made to lift in and out which I was planning on doing.
Since there were three cars made for the movie, the shots could also have been of one of the other two cars, and maybe they had no windows?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Still more info

Of the three Chevys in “Two-Lane,” one was used as a camera car for interior shots, of which there are many, while the second and third were utilized for racing, street, and highway scenes. The main ’55 Chevy featured a 454 engine with aluminum heads, tunnel ram intake and dual Holley carburetors. The transmission was a rock crusher Muncie M-22 hooked to 4.88 gears. A straight axle and four-wheel disc brakes were also employed. Lots of fiberglass was used, and sliding Plexiglas was used for windows. One car was built for a rollover scene that never made the final movie cut.

Thanks to Gary Kurtz, who was involved with both movies, the same “Two Lane Blacktop” Chevy appeared in “American Graffiti.” He took the primer flat black ’55 from “Two-Lane” and converted it into the shiny black ’55 used in “Graffiti” and driven by Harrison Ford. The big hood scoop was replaced with a smaller one, chrome wheels were added along with different windows and a hinged trunk instead of the “Two Lane” lift off. Other than that, it is the same vehicle.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 · (Edited)
THE SHIT WE'RE HAVING TO BUY!! Since I already posted this week about the issues I had with the rubber decomposing in the braided lines I was using on my 53, it didn't stop there. There is a celebration of life this Saturday for a racer who died recently and the family has asked that guys bring their gassers/hot rods as a tribute. My first thought was my 53 which I ran into the bad fuel lines issue. I got the one fitting I needed delivered today so that is taken care of. Since I was outside I decided to uncover the Willys pickup and start it since it'd been a while. I thought the leaks on the 53 were bad, they were nothing compared to this.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

After I replaced these lines I decided to mow my lawn. My string trimmer wouldn't start and I thought that strange because it ran fine 4 weeks ago. It seemed to not be getting gas. I checked the fuel line and it had desolved all the way up to the grommet where it enters the tank.
Couldn't get a photo of that but what the hell is going on with our fuel?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Omg. I can’t even like that post 👍 because it scares me so much. What the heck is going on? Either the hose product is now sub par or you're running sulphuric acid in you tank. Good thing your not in your garage. That would be devastating. Sorry buddy.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You are not alone.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Thanks for the article Mario; I knew I couldn't possibly be the only person experiencing this crap. When it happened the first time I thought it was just bad luck. Then it happened the second time and I knew something was amiss but I went ahead and bought some new braided line but then you never know how long it's been sitting in a warehouse someplace. I had read about the PTFE but the downside is you can't use standard AN fittings and I already had a shit load of them in various configurations purchased over many, many years (a bunch of them are Areoequip brand I ripped off from a trucking company I drove for 40 years ago) for many, many dollars and didn't want to spend even more for a whole new fuel system. I can only hope that this new rubber line I bought lives up to its hype.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
That's the same thing that happened to my rubber hose in just over two years after I installed it Steve! The gas we buy these days is the culprit, but the alcohol or ethanol resistant rubber hose I used has been OK now for about 8-9 years, so I think your new hose should be fine.

401 - 416 of 416 Posts