Gasser HotRod Forums banner
381 - 400 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
the plan for this Saturday is to take the Willys to it's first car show. It's the first event for this particular charity so I'm not sure about how big the turn out will be. I just hope the truck makes it there. I don't fore see any mechanical problems but as we all know these cars are unpredictable at best.
I have confidence you'll make it Steve. I hope you have a great time there. I haven't been to any show as of yet this year. I really miss it. Weather hasn't been cooperating either. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
So,

I spent 20 minutes (didn't want it looking to good) today getting the Willys ready for its inaugural car show tomorrow. Blew the cab interior out with my leaf blower, cleaned the front and rear windows and put some rubber gel on the tires; I hope that's enough.................

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Have fun STEVE. Remember oil, water, spare, jack, lug wrench, rags, mini air compressor, flat tire plug kit. And your cool Willy’s pick up. :)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
OK Lash

here's some photos to show it did happen. For a first time event there was a fair crowd. For the most part not many rides that did that much for me. I got there about 8:45 and the truck definitely drew some attention pulling in. I couldn't believe how many people came up and commented on the "blower whine" from the motor. All I said was thanks and that I loved the whine too.

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
this is my buddys' 67 Chevelle that I did the carb swaps from my 53 on Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
one other that was really the only other hot rod there. Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
This was a really well done Chevy truck that won the Peoples Choice Best Of Show. Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood
I talked to the owner and he told me that his Grandfather was the original owner and he did it as a tribute to him.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Awesome love the whine. Lol

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Yeah, yeah

I know it doesn't have an Isky cam but who wants to put a big scripted Comp Cams sticker on their hood. I've always thought that the right decals added some personality to a gasser; but then that's just me.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Plant

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
You're right

Lash, those are some big ass decals; but intentionally so. The truck is something of an in your face vehicle so I thought I'd intentionally accentuate that with big in your face decals. I had the big B&M Hydro Stick Man decals (on the decals it says Van Nuys, CA. their original location where they haven't been for many, many years) made and also the ISKY decals. The Hooker Headers decal though I found on line to replace the smaller Dougs decals I was using.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Very cool STEVE. I like the decals.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 · (Edited)
So I

finally got off my ass and went to DMV and renewed my drivers license; it had only been expired for 10 months. With the weather getting better I wanted to be able to drive the Willys or 53 and not worry about having the vehicle towed if I were stopped. I also got a couple things done. The bendix on the mini starter had gotten weak and was kicking out before the engine started so I had purchased a new starter last year and since the truck was up in the air I replaced it. It needed a longer drag link; I've had the length of DOM tubing and weld in bungs laying around for over a year. Since I was doing that I thought I'd finally replace the front brake shoes and add the spring kit I've had on my bench for over a year and while the wheels were off I went ahead and finally put the spoked mags on, the pair I had narrowed 2 years ago I think.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Thanks

for the compliment Vall. I'm not sure how the opinions on the different wheels will go. I know that the skinny slots are pretty much the accepted, go to gasser front wheel but I can't help but think that it's because there weren't that many narrow spoke type rims made. I had these cut down to 4" and am very happy with them. I'll probably end up selling the skinny slots and tires. They're a 4 3/4" bolt pattern if anyone wants to send me a message if they're interested.
I haven't driven either gasser since my license expired and I have to admit it was fun to get the Willys out. I'll probably take the 53 out this weekend. About the only good thing that came out of driving with an expired license was that I made a conscious effort not to break any traffic laws, especially the speed laws.

381 - 400 of 416 Posts