Gasser HotRod Forums banner
361 - 380 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Do you have a Home Depot near you? The diablo discs they sell were decent.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Was at the Roadster show on Friday and a guy was selling those cool metal cutoff discs. Supposed to last a lifetime, and never need replacing. But when I looked at his price sheet I decided I"m too old to buy them! A small 3" cutoff disc was $99! And a 6" was $189! I wont live long enough to save the difference in buying cheap cutoff discs.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
When I got

home today the 6" cut off wheels with the correct size arbor holes had been delivered. So while I'm waiting on the new fuel pump maybe I'll go ahead and start on the wheelie bars. Actually though I really ought to pull the heads on my 53 and get them to the machine shop so I can get it back on the road, hopefully.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
hey Steve you and Lash are rocking this project thread. I have some catching up to do.... my time is coming soon. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
Got the first

spring notched. After I cut the 2 parallel slots I thought shit, how am I going to make the perpendicular cut and keep it looking half way decent. The only answer was the torch, not as clean as I would have liked but it got the job done. Cut the bushings to the correct lengths and it went together not half bad. Since the arms are a bit skinny I'm going to make a couple gussets and weld them on.

Hand tool Tool Household hardware Wood Metalworking hand tool
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Steve I always drill corner holes before I make my cuts for a nice round corner at the end of each cut and to use for a start point for parallel cuts ...makes a great even cut in all directions...looks like you got it done...there going to look great on the truck

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Normally

I would have done that Lash but I had a major brain fart :mad:. I have some 3/16" bar stock that I'm going to cut the gussets from and weld on. I'm going to make them long enough to go from where the bushing eye wraps itself around back into the spring to 2" past where the notch ends. It'll also cover up where the parallel cuts are gobbered up where they meet the perpendicular cuts.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
Oh snap!!!

I didn't even think about any Lash holes Vall:confused: I already have the first pair of gussetts welded on although I can still drill a few.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Wow I like it. Great job. Great idea. i bet it will look awesome.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
To steal from Lash

made some progress. Got the first pair of wheelie bars clamped on and a big problem manifested itself. While welding one of the gussetts on the arm tweaked and kicked the caster out at a retarted angle. So I thought instead of going for a trick look I'd go the KISS route and as usual it worked great. Might not look as good with the casters mounted inboard instead of inset but it works.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Truck
View attachment 100455

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
Thanks for that

guys, I appreciate it. Yes Val I didn't think that the newer style triangulated wheelie bars would look right on this particular vehicle plus these were way cheaper to make.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Looks nice and clean and fully functional. Great job. Did the rear have the brackets on it already?
love the license plate by the way.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
Thanks Mario

believe it or not I found the brackets on ebay for cheaper than I could have made them. I didn't have enough plate material in 1/4" 5/16" or 3/8" to make them so I would have had to drive to Industrial Metal Supply to buy some and the ones I bought have beautiful TIG welds on them to boot but the biggest plus is that they already have Lash holes drilled in them; it was a win/win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheelie-ba...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
So,

the plan for this Saturday is to take the Willys to it's first car show. It's the first event for this particular charity so I'm not sure about how big the turn out will be. I just hope the truck makes it there. I don't fore see any mechanical problems but as we all know these cars are unpredictable at best.

361 - 380 of 416 Posts