Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a cam recomendation. I would like one that maintains enough vacuum for power brakes and still gives me a high performance type idle. Using modified 327 double hump heads modified to match the 406 bore. I thought about the old style 30/30 Duntoff cam but not sure.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Welcome to GHR forum Topdog!
The 30-30 Duntov is a great cam, but it's also a high winder, and might not be the best choice for a stroker 406 Chevy. It would sound good, but you'll lose power down low, and wont wind up enough with a 406 to where the 30-30 makes best power.
I'd give Comp Cams or Isky Cams a call and ask them what they'd reccommend. I'd think the entry level Thumpr cam would be a good choice for something that sounds great, but it might not make as much power as you'd like, if high performance is a consideration. It will definitely make enough vacuum too. I'm very pleased with the Isky 270 Mega Cam I'm using, and I think it might be a good choice for your 406 also. I'm also using the old Chevy 2.02" fueler heads. It has great low end power, and hits peak around 6200, so a good all around performer, and sounds good too. The 108 LSA is wide enough to still give you some vacuum also.
Here's a link to it at Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/isk-cl201271

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to GHR forum Topdog!
The 30-30 Duntov is a great cam, but it's also a high winder, and might not be the best choice for a stroker 406 Chevy. It would sound good, but you'll lose power down low, and wont wind up enough with a 406 to where the 30-30 makes best power.
I'd give Comp Cams or Isky Cams a call and ask them what they'd reccommend. I'd think the entry level Thumpr cam would be a good choice for something that sounds great, but it might not make as much power as you'd like, if high performance is a consideration. It will definitely make enough vacuum too. I'm very pleased with the Isky 270 Mega Cam I'm using, and I think it might be a good choice for your 406 also. I'm also using the old Chevy 2.02" fueler heads. It has great low end power, and hits peak around 6200, so a good all around performer, and sounds good too. The 108 LSA is wide enough to still give you some vacuum also.
Here's a link to it at Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/isk-cl201271
I forgot to mention that I will use the tripower set up of my 327. This is going in my 55 chevy with Muncie 4 spped

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
The tri power setup should help the performance if properly set as progressive linkage. I'd guess a std. tripower that uses 3 two carbs that are about 300-350 cfm or so, should work well with a 406 stroker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tri power setup should help the performance if properly set as progressive linkage. I'd guess a std. tripower that uses 3 two carbs that are about 300-350 cfm or so, should work well with a 406 stroker.
Thanks, they are now set up with progressive linkage. It is a true tripower set up where the front and rears carbs are just throttle bodies. They are the rochester carbs.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I like what Im hearing hearing here. Good point on stroker cam vers high winder. will make a major difference in power. TopDog, these guys know their stuff. I haven't shopped for a cam in a long time.
I love the thumper cams. I would think something in the 512 lift and 280 duration would make a great low end power maker for the street. Im curious what kind of gear are you running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like what Im hearing hearing here. Good point on stroker cam vers high winder. will make a major difference in power. TopDog, these guys know their stuff. I haven't shopped for a cam in a long time.
I love the thumper cams. I would think something in the 512 lift and 280 duration would make a great low end power maker for the street. Im curious what kind of gear are you running?
373:1 posi 10 bolt out of a camaro

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
That sounds like a good middle of the road gear for a stroker.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I know some people call them poser cams, but the entry level Comp Thumpr is a very good choice, and I think will meet your needs and still sound and perform great. It's got a nice idle, good vacuum, and builds great low to midrange torque. I put one in my neighbor's fairly stock 350, and it's very quick, with great response. I'd reccommend it after seeing how his runs and sounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just my .02 cents , but I had a 406 in a vette I had , 2.02 heads , power brakes , 3.55 gears , single plane intake , Holley 750 , and I ran the lunati .480 lift and 230 @ .050 and it sounded wicked and performed great . Very streetable and went 12.60. I would have to double check but I think it was 108 ls also. Hydraulic flat tappet.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Gotta respect anything in the 12's running 355 gears.
Mm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts