Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my question and it may sound strange but on my 62 falcon gasser project I am thinking about using a 4-link rear suspension with a speedway gasser axle kit in the front. is that too new school in the rear for the straight axle in the front? would it work ok together. the car will only be bracket raced and taken to car shows not driven on the street.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I think it works perfect Deacon. I am biased, mine is set up that way. It is a little newer that a 60's build. But I think you will find that we try to look and be close to what they used to use, but we fudge a little here and there. Is it era correct, probably not. Who would know, bunch of guys older than you and me. Does it matter, maybe, depends on you. Tradition would suggest ladder bar setup. I know Vall used those on both his builds. Front disc brakes were not used too much either, except by the high buck teams that could afford them. But now for safety reasons, I think most of us are running front disc brakes. Do what makes you feel good.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I agree with Mike. To be totally honest I've seen some tubbed cars like nova's and falcons and thought to myself That would look awesome with a straight axle up front. But again do what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool I am not building a period correct engine so why not use 4 link that works but look cool with straight front axle. I want to build something that me and my 2 sons can have fun building and racing.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I agree also. I try to keep close to traditional, but I build within my budget, and also with what I like. The ladder bar setup on my Austin is suspended with QA1 coilovers, and coilovers weren't period correct. I love them, and they work, so I don't really care if they aren't right. Some drag events that have strict rules wont allow coilovers, but not any issue near me.
I also have modern disc brakes on my Austin, and I may swap to disc brakes on my Falcon if the mood hits me. I have several things not period on my cars. I still have fun, and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Periods are for women, gassers are for men, I think the above points made above are all valid and great advice, please dont let your wives see this. I all ready have enough problems in the woman department

1 - 6 of 6 Posts