Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1601 - 1620 of 1651 Posts

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,601 ·
Out just driving the car today when the brake pedal suddenly went halfway down when I pressed the pedal! I headed for home and it stopped all the way, but always on the bottom half of the pedal. Jacked it up when I got home and put jackstands under the rear axle. I started it up and put it in gear, then hit the brake pedal and the rear tires just kept turning.
Pulled the tires and drums and one rear wheel cylinder was blown, and the other side leaking a tiny bit. So it needs new shoes, and wheel cylinders since the linings are ruined from brake fluid.
Cleaned it all up, and went and bought the wheel cylinders and brake shoes, so after we celebrate our oldest daughter's birthday tomorrow I know what I'll be doing!
Thank goodness for dual master cylinders!

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,602 ·
Got the new wheel cylinders and brake shoes installed today. What a complicated setup the Ford 8.8" rear brakes are! And the springs are a PITA to get off, and almost as tough to get back on. I discovered my proportioning valve also had a minor seep, but was able to tighten the adjusting knob and it stopped.
Took it for a spin after I cleaned up and she's stopping better than I ever remember! Did some slow speed stops, and then a 35 mph panic stop on a side street, and it really anchors the tires now. Hope I'm done fixing things for the summer, and can just enjoy driving now.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Well you can’t fix stupid. Glad he didn’t hit you.

Reactions: 1937Austin

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Got the new wheel cylinders and brake shoes installed today. What a complicated setup the Ford 8.8" rear brakes are! And the springs are a PITA to get off, and almost as tough to get back on. I discovered my proportioning valve also had a minor seep, but was able to tighten the adjusting knob and it stopped.
Took it for a spin after I cleaned up and she's stopping better than I ever remember! Did some slow speed stops, and then a 35 mph panic stop on a side street, and it really anchors the tires now. Hope I'm done fixing things for the summer, and can just enjoy driving now.
when You put the rear in I’m guessing you left the brakes alone?

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,605 ·
when You put the rear in I’m guessing you left the brakes alone?
Yes, sorta. I did pull the drums and saw it had new brake shoes, so that was part of the reason I chose it at the wrecking yard. New shoes, and wheel cylinders looked dry and good. So I just used it as it was. Shoes I just took off were still nearly new, but saturated on the one side with fluid. So had to replace both sides to get it right.

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,606 · (Edited)
Been sitting here with a box of parts waiting for a little cooler weather, and we got it today.
A couple months ago I bought a braided -AN line kit for my '39's 700R4 trans, so I could get rid of the rubber hose, and relocate it up further towards the nose, below the radiator. The kit came with two 52" braided lines with -AN female ends and a bag full of 10 fittings for various applications, and straight or 90 degrees ends. My Hayden trans cooler has barbed hose fittings, so still needed a few inches of rubber hose to connect the lines. And I needed -AN6 to 3/8 hose adapters for the final connection.
I routed the lines with my fuel line heading forward, and used my round front crossmember to mount the cooler. Drilled and tapped it for 1/4"-20 in two places, and used fender washers, and rubber hose over the threaded rod to keep it from contacting the tubes. Came out clean, and solid, and was an easy installation. And no leaks when I was done too! Should make the trans fluid a little cooler up in the fresh air vs. under the passenger side floor where I had it.

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,607 ·
I headed out East about 8 miles to Gresham for their Wed. night cruise in, but attendance was pretty low due to 100 degree temps. Maybe a couple dozen brave souls who weren't worried about their cars, or themselves overheating. I left early, as I avoid the trophy awards, but got 7 pictures sent to me this morning via FB by the guy doing the show. He does a great job of photography.
Here's a few I liked that he took.

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,610 ·
Hit a car show at a small town towards the Coast Range about 30 miles West of me today. I got parked and was looking around when in comes another '39 Chev coupe done up gasser style! That was a big surprise, and I couldn't wait for the owner to get out and open the hood!
His engine was a pleasant surprise as it was a 270 c.i. GMC straight six, with some nostalgic speed parts on it! Intake was an old aluminum Edwards that was for 5 one barrel carbs, but two were blocked off and he was running 3 carbs. Exhaust was an old Fenton split manifold and very cool! His rear axle was a '57 Chev with 4.11 gears, and appeared he was running an old truck 4 speed with granny low. He said the car topped out around 60 mph, and he's planning to change rear gears soon to a 3.25:1 gear set.
Still had either original paint, or a very old repaint? No interior other than a pair of older buckets, but the car was cool as heck!
Told me he'd just bought the '39 about 2-3 months ago, so I'm hoping to see it again soon.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
That must have been fun to see that 39. Glad you had a good time. Vall.

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,614 ·
Been sitting on these stencils I had made since before we got so darned hot! Waiting for a day where it was cooler and my paint wouldn't dry on my brush as fast as I tried to letter the car! This is a tribute to Dave Ehrmann who won the Nationals in 1965-'66 in his '39 Chevy coupe. Dave ran a big GMC 301 straight six, so not the engine I have. But wanted the "301c.i." also on my fender drops, just for fun.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Looks great Vall. When are you coming to do mine? 😀👍

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,618 ·
Went back over today to help my friend sort and price parts for the widow who has all the Chevy parts. When we finished I asked what she wanted for some Snap On tools, various automotive meters, the MSD 6AL kit, Blaster coil, and a pair of fiberglass '39 Chev NOS rear fenders I found in the 2nd floor of the garage. She said she didn't want to even see what I wanted, just take it, and anything else we wanted.
I really didn't "need" the glass rear fenders, but thought if I ever did need them it would be nice to have them in my storage shed. The MSD 6AL I'll put on the '39 as I like to have them on all my cars.

·
Administrator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,619 ·
After getting home yesterday I was tired, but had to wash up the '39 because a friend wanted me to go to the car show this morning. There were 4 of us showed up from our car club, and three of us won trophies! Big surprise to us all! My '39 won "Best Vintage Iron" picked by the Elk's Lodge that put on the show.

1601 - 1620 of 1651 Posts