Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1581 - 1600 of 1605 Posts

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,581 ·
More Ebay clown sellers.
My replacement Accel points eliminator kit arrived yesterday. Opened up the USPS package, which was a non-padded envelope with the kit inside, and the shutter window that tells the distributor to fire the plugs was broken. I contacted the seller on Ebay, and got a reply this morning apologizing, and telling me they would give me a $6 credit so I could buy the part from Accel. Problem is the part is $12, plus $6 S&H!
I sent them back a message telling them the price, and their offer wasn't acceptable. Then I remembered the garbage can was at the curb for pickup, and the old shutter was in the garbage! So I ran out and dug through the garbage bags. Luckily it was in the bottom of the first bag, and I found it.
So I'm good to go if these guys flake out. But I'm not cutting them any slack, and going to make them make good, since it was their crappy packaging that resulted in it being broken! Betting their "5 year warranty" might be even tougher if I happen to need to claim on it ever!

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Good for you Vall. Don’t let them get away with anything.

Reactions: 1937Austin

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,584 ·
Good for you Vall. Don’t let them get away with anything.
Thanks Mario!
I buy a fair amount of parts off Ebay, and have had similar issues in the past. And it seems the less expensive the parts are, the more likely the seller is to not properly pack them, or try to squirm out of making things right if something is missing, or broken.
I only wish I'd not been so quick to give the seller positive feedback, as I'd have modified my response to include their lack of wanting to fix the issue, and poorly packaged parts.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Vall,
Go on your ebay home page. Click on your total feedback, the number in parentheses next to your name. Scroll down and you'll see 4 feedback choices, click on the furthest one to the right (feedback left for others) find the item you want to add something to the feedback and click on the "follow up link". I've copied and pasted it so you can see.

All received Feedback Received as buyer Received as seller Left for others
Visible to everyone
1,753 Feedback left (viewing 1-25)
Search Feedback left with an item ID or User ID

It left out the "follow up" column that is next to the "when" column; but you get the idea. Now, burn their ass!!!!

FEEDBACK
FEEDBACKLEFT FORWHEN

Just as described. A minor order mistake on my part was quickly resolved by seller.
'32 FORD HOT ROD "ORANGE CRATE" CUSTOM CHROME WHEELS SLICKS SKINNY FRONT TIRES (#165457462828)
Seller: birdmanold ()Past 6 months
Follow up

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,586 ·
I was at the Rose City Roundup car show today, run by the Driven Dead car club. Not a muscle car in sight, and the newest thing even close to it was a all stock 327 '64 Chevelle. A couple of 50 or 51 Chevy coupe gassers, and my '39. Otherwise all stock vehicles, customs, rat rods, etc. Pretty big variety of different cars.
It rained off and on this morning, but then was not bad warm overcast skies. Around 2:00 p.m. I saw dark clouds coming, and headed for home quickly. Got the '39 in the shop and about 5 minutes later the sky opened up! Don't really care about the trophies, so I wasn't going to wait for the awards and drive home on rainy streets.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Sounds like a great show. Too bad you had to leave. I bet your car would pull a trophy. Dark skies kinda ruins a good day at the show. I’ve had that happen to me twice. I got rained on pretty good with the MG. Not fun at all. Not to mention it’s not too good for the car. Maybe next time Vall. You get a trophy in my book.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,588 ·
I called a bunch of guys in our car club, and some other car friends, and not one of them wanted to go with the chance of rain. Seems like they're OK with washing their cars, but don't want rain drops on their cars.
We may finally be getting a break from the constant rain we've had the last few months. Supposed to be dry and mid to high 70's next week!

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
I called a bunch of guys in our car club, and some other car friends, and not one of them wanted to go with the chance of rain. Seems like they're OK with washing their cars, but don't want rain drops on their cars.
We may finally be getting a break from the constant rain we've had the last few months. Supposed to be dry and mid to high 70's next week!
I’m a little more forgiving in rain with the MG. But with the coupe and not having a hood I make pretty darn sure no rain in the forecast. When you see what driving in the rain does to your hardware Is upsetting especially after spending so much time during assembly.
have a great day with the family to all.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,590 ·
Came home later from the Wed. night cruise, and turned my park lights on so people would see me at dusk. Noticed my speedo light wasn't working, so got under the dash this morning to check it. Thought the Chinese lamp had already quit, but it checked out good. Instead it was the cheap junk socket for the #168 lamp that failed. The wires fell out of it when I pulled it out of the speedo.
Went to the local Napa store and got a new socket that appears to be good quality, and had short pigtails on it. Spliced it in and the lamp works again.
Then went for a short drive and noticed the spoon gas pedal felt loose. Looked down and saw the pedal was slipping off the shaft! Stopped at the local Harbor Fright, since I had no tools with me, and bought a cheap $3.50 allen set, and tightened the setscrew back to get it secure again.
My old cars just seem to need little things now and then with all the Chinese made parts I have to buy these days.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,591 ·
Wife and I went to my family reunion today for my mother's side of the family ancestors. The King family came to Oregon around 1845, and settled in what is now King's Valley, Or. They held the reunion at the Kings Valley Pioneer Cemetery where most of the family that died in the area are buried. A number of the family didn't make the trip as they lost 5 or 6 of the 14 members in Oregon prior to reaching their destination.
We took the '39 for the 200 mile round trip and it averaged about 16 mpg on mostly 55-65 mph roads up and down hills. So not too bad for the increased HP it has with the new heads. Uneventful trip, which is great considering it was low 90's today and the car ran a steady 180 degrees down and back. Had to give her a good bath when we got home as it looked like some bug collector's car.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Wow 200 mile trip? I like your confidence. 😀 well you made it so all must have been great. Hope you had a good time there. If I sat in the MG for 200 miles I would need a walker after getting out to get the knumbness out of my legs. Lol. Glad you had fun.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,593 ·
Wow 200 mile trip? I like your confidence. 😀 well you made it so all must have been great. Hope you had a good time there. If I sat in the MG for 200 miles I would need a walker after getting out to get the knumbness out of my legs. Lol. Glad you had fun.
Same for me and the Austin Mario! I'm good for an hour, and after that I have to get out of it. But the '39 is just so spacious and comfortable in comparison! So much leg room, and comfy seats make it fun for trips!
Of course I was feeling a bit nervous with the first long trip after the engine issues, so can't say I was totally relaxed until we got nearly to our destination. Especially since my lovely wife agreed to take the '39 instead of one of our newer AC equipped cars! I sure didn't want to breakdown, and have her sitting there cooking until AAA arrived!
I'll do another oil change, and filter this week; just to ensure there's nothing left in the oil I don't want. Ordered a couple 1 qt. WIX filters recently, and have a couple cases of VR1 5-30w, so ready for a quick oil change.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,594 ·
Got a few hundred miles on the '39, so decided since it's cooler today I'd change oil and filter. I wanted to dissect the filter also to see if I could find any signs of metallic particles also. Appears I didn't need the oil change as the filter looked great, and so did the oil. Still a good thing for my peace of mind to know it's all good.
I found a new larger capacity filter to use also. It's a Fleetguard LF 692 built for Cummins. Supposedly built by WIX with the Fleetguard name on them. They're a 1.5 qt. filter, so a lot of filtering. Bottom of the filter is just above my 6 qt. oil pan, so not hanging down lower where it could get hit. Adds an extra quart of oil to my system, plus more filtering, and $5 less than the equivalent WIX branded filter.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
I was looking at the specs on the filter and it had the same flow as an HP2. nice choice.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,596 · (Edited)
I was looking at the specs on the filter and it had the same flow as an HP2. nice choice.
Yes, I saw that also before buying the filter. This part showed up when searching for a cheaper option to the equal $18 high capacity WIX, so I looked for specs to make sure it was a decent filter.
Since buying these for $12 ea. I found another supplier who had a huge discount for buying multiples, and got four of them for $7.45 each! Since I have three vehicles that can use them I'm good for a couple oil changes on each now.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,597 ·
Hit the Wed. night cruise with a couple friends. We have a favorite spot in the shade of some tall trees, but some cars beat us to it today. I noticed behind us they'd set up some giant tents for a 4th of July event this weekend, so I asked the guy directing traffic if we could get prime shade parking, and he said, "Why not?"
So we moved into the ritzy neighborhood and soon had company from others who envied our parking spot!

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Well that worked out well for you guys. Sounds like fun. That white paint is looking real good Vall. 😉

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,600 ·
Close call today just two blocks from home!
Turned off the main drive onto our street, and some jackass in a Honda came screaming up to the stop sign in the middle of the street! I hit the brakes as I saw him coming and slid the tires. He didn't seem to react right off, and when he got stopped he was a foot from hitting me.
Then he sits there looking at me like I'm supposed to back out onto a 4 lane highway so he can get out of the street! I motioned for him to back up since it's a one car wide street, and until he backed up we were at a stalemate. He motioned he wanted to go turn right on the highway, but didn't move. So I shut my car off, got out, and walked up to explain what we needed to do so we could both get moving. He finally backed up so I could pull into the driveway of the repair shop, and he could go by me.
People can sure be ignorant, and clueless. And drive like there's nobody on the road but them.

1581 - 1600 of 1605 Posts