Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1521 - 1540 of 1569 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Good score Vall, Saw those and they were a good deal. It's a good place to get heads for your projects! I didn't really need anything but I did get some plug wire heat shield wrap I am going to put on my brake lines where they almost touch the headers.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,522 ·
Wish I'd known you were there, we could at least chatted a bit. I got the Edelbrock heads for the BBC Falcon at this same swap meet years ago. Also the Weiand tunnel ram for $100 at the same show! It's always been a good show for me!
I've got an unopened roll of 2" black heat shield wrap here! I bought two to do my tailpipes where they pass my fuel cell on the '39, but only used one.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,523 ·
I ordered up head and intake gaskets, plus some thread sealer. The aluminum heads need a good sealing gasket for aluminum, so ordered a pair of Fel-Pro 501SD that have the blue sealing rings around all the ports. Of course they're twice as expensive as regular gaskets for cast iron heads, and I missed the fact they're sold as singles since the image shown showed two gaskets! So had to order a 2nd when the first came and I realized the image was a scam. Ordered ARP stud kits for aluminum heads also, as same applies to them, as need to be specific for aluminum and have washers to prevent galling as they're torqued. Hopefully everything arrives this week and maybe get the heads on this weekend.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Sounds good Vall. Are you using roller rockers? If not that’s fine but I use the roller rockers and had to double check the stud clearances. They hit my rockers when fully open. Both my sons Camaro motor and my coupe motor hit the rockers. They were galled first before I noticed it. Anyway I hope it all goes well.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,525 ·
Sounds good Vall. Are you using roller rockers? If not that’s fine but I use the roller rockers and had to double check the stud clearances. They hit my rockers when fully open. Both my sons Camaro motor and my coupe motor hit the rockers. They were galled first before I noticed it. Anyway I hope it all goes well.
I have roller rockers on the current heads. I hope they work the same on the new heads! The Dart heads supposedly have larger diameter springs, 1.437" and 130 lb. Stock are 1.25" diameter. So hope the diameter isn't going to be an issue? I've heard that they might require a .1" longer pushrod, but I'll wait to see since I'm not sure if that's with stock rockers, or aftermarket?
I also have polylocks on my rockers I'll reuse.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Are the studs 3/8 or 7/16?

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,528 ·
Are the studs 3/8 or 7/16?
The studs are 3/8" Mario!

Got out there this morning and tore the old heads off, and cleaned things up. Unwrapped the new Dart heads and got them sitting on the block. After sealing all the studs in the kit I ran them in with an Allen wrench. Seems not all the holes in the block are tapped the same depth as they sometimes stopped fine, and other times seemed like if I wanted to go further they wouldn't have enough thread to run the nuts on. So just stopped when they looked equal on those holes.
I started to torque them in the 3 stages, but discovered the stupid 12 point nuts can't tighten using my 6 point socket! My deep socket set is all 12 point except the two smallest sizes, 1/2" and 3/8". These are 1/2' nuts, so I couldn't even get to the first setting of 35 lbs. before the socket slipped!
I had to stop at this point and called the local used tool shed place to ask if he had any deep 12 pt. sockets in 1/2". He had several 1/2" drive for $2 each he said, so ran over and grabbed one. Never been in the place so did a walk around to see what else they had, and came home with a couple Husky brand ratcheting box wrenches too! My 9/16" and 1/2" from my Craftsman set are both missing, so for another $4 ea. I got those two. Any excuse to stop for the day is a good one anymore, so I locked up, and will head out tomorrow to torque everything down, and then finish assembling it.
We're high 60'sthe last couple days, and more tomorrow, so great weather to work on the car in a warm shop!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
nice heads Vall. Its always nice to do a walk through in a tool shed store. 12 pt is known for being less desirable in most cases but they do have their place and time as you just experienced. Gary told me to let the studs stay free from bottoming out. He said you don't want them to bottom or they wont do their job as to sealing on the threads. So its ok if you have to run them back up to get the nut and washer on. Nice weather here today too. I just picked up a compressor today locally from a friend. Found it was rusted seized in the pump. Good thing it was free. I can find parts but I already have the same compressor and its working, a little tired and seeping oil into the lines slightly and thats why I figured Id take the one from my friend. His was sitting outdoors under a tarp for 15 years. what a sin. Rust got the crankcase and I can't move the flywheel. I filled it all the way up with oil in the crankcase and sprayed WD40 into the pistons. maybe in time it will loosen up. As for now I picked up a 60 gal auxilary air tank and not a second air compressor. What can you do.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,530 ·
Bummer on the compressor Mario! I have a big one that just sits in my storage shed. It's on wheels, so I drag it out and park it wherever I plan to use it whenever I need more volume for spraying or my big IR impact gun. But I've probably only used it maybe 4 times in the last decade or more!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
my 60 gal 6hp is tired after 15 years of service. OIl in the lines is not good. It shows up when I drain the tank. Milky white liquid. Surprisingly I can buy a new pump and a rebuild kit and head gaskets etc. online. The whole pump is 287 bucks which is not terrible considering the whole compressor is over 500.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,532 ·
I bought my compressor from Coastal Farm and Ranch hardware, and can't recall the brand? I know it's made in Canada, and back when I purchased it I gave $425 on sale for it. It sounds like the same size as yours too. All metallic blue tank and compressor.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,533 ·
Got the head torqued down, but ran into yet another issue with sockets. The 12 point 1/2" socket had too small a center hole so it wouldn't fit over the studs! Had to drill the hole out to 7/16" before I could begin to torque the heads. Got them all done, and then cleaned up my intake. Didn't realize how dirty it was until I started scraping gaskets, and noticed the top side was pretty nasty. Must have been from the blown oil gauge line long ago that covered it all in oil?
Have to get different plugs as these heads take the old style with sealing washers. Also some new valve cover gaskets, and RTV to finish the intake.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Sounds great Vall. Glad you made progress while the weather allows.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Well how did it go today? Did you get out there?

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,537 ·
Well how did it go today? Did you get out there?
Nope. Just cold and crappy weather, so stayed inside. I did get all the rest the gaskets, sealer, etc., and of course had the usual annoying fun at Autozone. I thought I could fool them so I gave the guy all the part numbers from their site. I even took along 4 part numbers for valve cover gaskets, just in case they were out of one or the other. First number was Mr. Gasket #175, which he said they didn't have. We went through the other three numbers and they had none of them. So the guy asks me to give him make, model, etc. So I say 1965 Corvette 327, and he wants to know 2 brl. or 4 brl. carb? Then he walks over and grabs a gasket set and lays it on the counter. A Mr Gasket #175.
I asked him why he told me he didn't have the first gasket number I gave him, and he says he looked and nothing on the shelf. Then I pointed to my number on the sheet I gave him, and the number on the gasket set he gave me. He got that stupid look like what do I say now, and just said, "Sorry".
Hope to maybe break 50 degrees Wed. or Thu. so maybe finish up then?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Lol thats funny. Well maybe you taught him something. hahah

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I want a time machine so that when I need a part I can go back in time when it seemed every town had its own auto parts store where the owner and employees actually knew what the fuck they were doing. I mean Jesus Christ the idiot couldn't have entered the Mr. Gasket part number in his computer to check stock.
Somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery....................

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,540 ·
I want a time machine so that when I need a part I can go back in time when it seemed every town had its own auto parts store where the owner and employees actually knew what the fuck they were doing. I mean Jesus Christ the idiot couldn't have entered the Mr. Gasket part number in his computer to check stock.
Somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery....................
That's the funny part Steve. He did enter the part number, but forgot to enter the "Mr G" in front of the number. So he went in the back rows looking for part #175 and no such item. Then when he did it with all the info in the computer it took him out front to the performance section to find it. After that I mentioned it was the same Mr Gasket number I'd written down, and he had simply left the prefix off the number.
Just can't fix stupid, even with a computer!

1521 - 1540 of 1569 Posts