Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1461 - 1480 of 1511 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I use the Remflex gaskets on the 38. I have the headers uncapped and recapped so many tinmes it isn't funny. The first set I bought are still on there and working great. The headers seem to be fine as well.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,462 ·
I use the Remflex gaskets on the 38. I have the headers uncapped and recapped so many tinmes it isn't funny. The first set I bought are still on there and working great. The headers seem to be fine as well.
Don't have collector caps on this car as I have electric cutouts. But sounds like they'd be a good choice if I did. I used copper collector gaskets on the Falcon, and they sealed well, and were off and on unknown numbers of times.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,463 ·
I almost forgot another neat thing we discovered at the car show Sunday! Our oldest daughter and family came to the show since they're only 10 minutes away. Our granddaughter is almost 16 yrs. old, and a pretty amazing artist; so her dad asked if she could draw cars too? She grabbed a yellow lined note pad, and sat down behind a 3rd Gen Camaro next to our coupe, and proceeded to draw a perfect copy of the guy's Camaro! I was amazed at the scale, proportions, and accurate details she put into a tiny pencil sketch that was maybe 5"x7" on the paper. Her dad mentioned she might have gotten the frontend slightly short, and she told him she'd drawn it sitting behind the car to one side, so the car looks shorter from that angle. She was spot on!
I asked her to draw the '39 and she did a sketch in about 10 minutes with equal detail. I asked her dad to take pictures of the '39, so she could draw it on a clean 8.5"x11" sheet of paper later. She said this was the first time she'd drawn cars, and I told her she could make some side income going to car shows and sketching cars for guys for $10-$20 if she wanted to. I am biased, but she seems to really have a lot better skills at it than adults I've seen doing this at various shows. They usually want to make the cars sort of out of proportion on purpose to hide the fact they can't get the scale down perfectly.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I almost forgot another neat thing we discovered at the car show Sunday! Our oldest daughter and family came to the show since they're only 10 minutes away. Our granddaughter is almost 16 yrs. old, and a pretty amazing artist; so her dad asked if she could draw cars too? She grabbed a yellow lined note pad, and sat down behind a 3rd Gen Camaro next to our coupe, and proceeded to draw a perfect copy of the guy's Camaro! I was amazed at the scale, proportions, and accurate details she put into a tiny pencil sketch that was maybe 5"x7" on the paper. Her dad mentioned she might have gotten the frontend slightly short, and she told him she'd drawn it sitting behind the car to one side, so the car looks shorter from that angle. She was spot on!
I asked her to draw the '39 and she did a sketch in about 10 minutes with equal detail. I asked her dad to take pictures of the '39, so she could draw it on a clean 8.5"x11" sheet of paper later. She said this was the first time she'd drawn cars, and I told her she could make some side income going to car shows and sketching cars for guys for $10-$20 if she wanted to. I am biased, but she seems to really have a lot better skills at it than adults I've seen doing this at various shows. They usually want to make the cars sort of out of proportion on purpose to hide the fact they can't get the scale down perfectly.
Let's see some pictures! sounds like she has quite the gift. I could never draw myself.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I know what you said Vall but I'm sending this one your way anyway.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,467 ·
Had a guy contact me this morning from the HAMB site, who said he saw my '39 and it reminded him of his uncle's '39 Chevy coupe. He sent me a picture from the movie American Grafitti where his uncle's hemi powered '39 Chevy had a couple scenes in that movie. One driving down the main drag, and another at the burger place getting an order delivered to the old coupe! The car was named "Hemi-Roid"

Looks like a cool old Chevy! Said it cost over $11k to build back then, and 4 years of work!
The guy whose uncle owned the American Grafitti '39 Chevy sent me a copy of the July 1974 Popular Hot Rodding magazine. He also messaged me a copy of his uncle's 1971 California registration. The VIN/engine number on the registration is 68 numbers off from mine. Probably on the same assembly line, on the same day in Ca.!!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
That’s cool history. Can’t wait to see your granddaughters drawings.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,470 ·
Hit the local Elk's Club car show today. Great turnout, like so many shows have been this summer after so long without shows. Was getting ready to cut out early when one of the judges asked me to stick around for awards. So I stayed another hour. The '39 won a memorial award given out by the family of a member who used to be active in putting on local shows. The Tim Helser Memorial Award is the largest award (size wise) I've ever received. Deb was even surprised when I brought it home this afternoon. Was a nice award, as I knew Tim, and was grateful to receive this trophy.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well done! That must be really satisfying to acknowledge all of your hard work.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,472 ·
Well done! That must be really satisfying to acknowledge all of your hard work.
Yes Dave, it is neat to have others appreciate your car after you spend so much time making it exactly what you wanted.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,473 ·
Drove about 40 miles south to a car show Sat. at a venue called Powerland. It's a museum specializing in antique equipment for farms or construction. They have buildings housing different brands of tractors, and other equipment, plus some old big trucks. Also have a museum with cars and motorcycles, and nothing newer than 1950's there. Mostly early 20's-30's cars.
Met my nephew there as he lives about 15 miles further south, so he wanted to see the '39 up close. He was named after my dad, so he wanted a picture of him in the '39 too.

The trip down and back was at higher speeds than usual, and gas mileage went to heck for whatever reason? I was cruising around 75-80 mph, and I guesstimated about 10-11 mpg, and not the usual 17 mpg at 70 mph it gets. So today I did some checking, as it also smelled richer than usual. Float windows showed the level was a little high, so adjusted them down to bottom of the window. Then I got the fuel pressure gauge on it, and fuel pressure was a bit too high also, at around 8 psi. I've been sitting here with a regulator, gauge setup ready to install for many months, but hadn't done it yet. So I puled the lines, mounted the regulator and cut the AN line from the fuel pump loose, and remade the line to fit the regulator. Got it all plumbed, and adjusted to 5 psi, and checked for leaks. Took it for a test drive, and it doesn't smell rich now, so hopefully I'll get some mileage back to normal again!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Great photo of the car Vall. There's one decal conspicuously absent though; I'll leave it to you to guess which one.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,476 ·
Well I didn't need to wait to check the plugs on the '39 to know if my re-jetting was too lean or not! I drove it around today, and I could feel how anemic it was compared to before re-jetting! I could hit the throttle before and it jumped, but after downsizing the jets it felt really unresponsive when blipping the throttle, and the higher the gear range, the worse it was!
I left the #70 in the secondaries, but put 70's in the primaries also. So down from #74 secondaries, and 72 primaries, to 70's all 4 corners.
Took it out for a spin after changing and the engine was snappy and responsive again! Amazing the change from 72 primaries to 64 primaries affected performance so greatly! That's what I love about Holley and Quick Fuel carbs. Just super easy to tweak if you want to try little changes.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,477 ·
Been contemplating the change to EFI on the '39's 350 lately. Not the first time I've done so, but with our last trip of 100 miles each way to the museum cruise getting a less than desirable MPG, I am reconsidering it again. Looking at the Holley Sniper 550-510K EFI master kit. Good up to 650 HP, and more than I'll ever need.
Some other brands are a couple hundred cheaper, but then require the buyer to purchase fuel pump, hose, etc. separately, so turn out to be more expensive. The Holley kit is $1405, and comes complete, so nothing else is required beyond the kit.
Looked at FAST, FI Tech, Edelbrock, etc., and all have good reviews by the car magazine writers, but when you start digging deeper I found less than stellar reviews. And if you have any issues I found some had frustrating customer tech support, or almost non existent tech support!
So just waiting now to see if maybe they have any pre-Christmas sales, and maybe save a little more before I pull the trigger on a system.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Think hard on this one Vall...the cheaper the kit the fewer features they have..like self diagnosis...if some thing quits working your shit out of luck with out this feature...your buying parts to test whats wrong. Also will there be replacement parts available a few years down the line...seems like every year they change systems...if you were getting 17 mpg at one point you might want to go back to that set up....me I would take it to a shop that has an exhaust gas analyzer...and tune from there...on my 392 I am thinking about going to a spread bore carb with an oxygen sensor set up so I can see things in real time, since most of my driving is in town and mountain roads...oh and fixing on the road...for get about it...I will say they have come a long ways since Fast first brought them on the market the newer port injected ones will give you the best mileage. horse power increase may be moddest depending on how bad the tune is now...dont plan on more than about 18 miles per gallon with the EFI...the carb you have now has a lot of adjustments that if done correct will make it work great....BUT it ain't cheap to have all the different combo's of those tuning parts on the selve...and to me the holley type carbs are a pain in the ass...with gas running out each time you open it up...you got the entire winter to think about it and do the research.....

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,479 ·
I agree with most of what you posted Lash, but it's true of every EFI system, regardless of which company makes them. And of course it's true of factory EFI also, as they're all proprietary and you're tied to the mercy of whatever brand of car you buy.
To me the question is to either stay with a carb, or go EFI, more than which EFI.
The Holley Sniper has a lot of features some others don't have. Only drawback is the ECU is in the main body, and not a separate unit. So should it go bad you have to pull the whole unit off and send it to Holley. But I don't see much difference if you sent them just the ECU, or your whole unit. Car will be down regardless.
And taking the '39 to a shop and letting them do a complete diagnosis, and tune wouldn't save any money from what I've heard from local guys. I could easily be into it the same money, and not have anything more than I do now.
I'll mull my options over, as there's no hurry at this point. I have all winter, or at least until Jan. when prices usually take an increase.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Vall all you need is a print out of the results then you can take it home and make the changes as needed...I was a smog abatement tech back in Ca. many years ago....and did it a few times for guys, using a 5 gas set up...where not talking dyno shop here..but you may not be able to use an emission station, if there like what Ca. did and have only a state loggin system to watch you, like Ca. did.....ass holes

1461 - 1480 of 1511 Posts