Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1461 - 1476 of 1476 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I use the Remflex gaskets on the 38. I have the headers uncapped and recapped so many tinmes it isn't funny. The first set I bought are still on there and working great. The headers seem to be fine as well.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,462 ·
I use the Remflex gaskets on the 38. I have the headers uncapped and recapped so many tinmes it isn't funny. The first set I bought are still on there and working great. The headers seem to be fine as well.
Don't have collector caps on this car as I have electric cutouts. But sounds like they'd be a good choice if I did. I used copper collector gaskets on the Falcon, and they sealed well, and were off and on unknown numbers of times.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,463 ·
I almost forgot another neat thing we discovered at the car show Sunday! Our oldest daughter and family came to the show since they're only 10 minutes away. Our granddaughter is almost 16 yrs. old, and a pretty amazing artist; so her dad asked if she could draw cars too? She grabbed a yellow lined note pad, and sat down behind a 3rd Gen Camaro next to our coupe, and proceeded to draw a perfect copy of the guy's Camaro! I was amazed at the scale, proportions, and accurate details she put into a tiny pencil sketch that was maybe 5"x7" on the paper. Her dad mentioned she might have gotten the frontend slightly short, and she told him she'd drawn it sitting behind the car to one side, so the car looks shorter from that angle. She was spot on!
I asked her to draw the '39 and she did a sketch in about 10 minutes with equal detail. I asked her dad to take pictures of the '39, so she could draw it on a clean 8.5"x11" sheet of paper later. She said this was the first time she'd drawn cars, and I told her she could make some side income going to car shows and sketching cars for guys for $10-$20 if she wanted to. I am biased, but she seems to really have a lot better skills at it than adults I've seen doing this at various shows. They usually want to make the cars sort of out of proportion on purpose to hide the fact they can't get the scale down perfectly.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I almost forgot another neat thing we discovered at the car show Sunday! Our oldest daughter and family came to the show since they're only 10 minutes away. Our granddaughter is almost 16 yrs. old, and a pretty amazing artist; so her dad asked if she could draw cars too? She grabbed a yellow lined note pad, and sat down behind a 3rd Gen Camaro next to our coupe, and proceeded to draw a perfect copy of the guy's Camaro! I was amazed at the scale, proportions, and accurate details she put into a tiny pencil sketch that was maybe 5"x7" on the paper. Her dad mentioned she might have gotten the frontend slightly short, and she told him she'd drawn it sitting behind the car to one side, so the car looks shorter from that angle. She was spot on!
I asked her to draw the '39 and she did a sketch in about 10 minutes with equal detail. I asked her dad to take pictures of the '39, so she could draw it on a clean 8.5"x11" sheet of paper later. She said this was the first time she'd drawn cars, and I told her she could make some side income going to car shows and sketching cars for guys for $10-$20 if she wanted to. I am biased, but she seems to really have a lot better skills at it than adults I've seen doing this at various shows. They usually want to make the cars sort of out of proportion on purpose to hide the fact they can't get the scale down perfectly.
Let's see some pictures! sounds like she has quite the gift. I could never draw myself.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I know what you said Vall but I'm sending this one your way anyway.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,467 ·
Had a guy contact me this morning from the HAMB site, who said he saw my '39 and it reminded him of his uncle's '39 Chevy coupe. He sent me a picture from the movie American Grafitti where his uncle's hemi powered '39 Chevy had a couple scenes in that movie. One driving down the main drag, and another at the burger place getting an order delivered to the old coupe! The car was named "Hemi-Roid"

Looks like a cool old Chevy! Said it cost over $11k to build back then, and 4 years of work!
The guy whose uncle owned the American Grafitti '39 Chevy sent me a copy of the July 1974 Popular Hot Rodding magazine. He also messaged me a copy of his uncle's 1971 California registration. The VIN/engine number on the registration is 68 numbers off from mine. Probably on the same assembly line, on the same day in Ca.!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That’s cool history. Can’t wait to see your granddaughters drawings.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,470 ·
Hit the local Elk's Club car show today. Great turnout, like so many shows have been this summer after so long without shows. Was getting ready to cut out early when one of the judges asked me to stick around for awards. So I stayed another hour. The '39 won a memorial award given out by the family of a member who used to be active in putting on local shows. The Tim Helser Memorial Award is the largest award (size wise) I've ever received. Deb was even surprised when I brought it home this afternoon. Was a nice award, as I knew Tim, and was grateful to receive this trophy.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well done! That must be really satisfying to acknowledge all of your hard work.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,472 ·
Well done! That must be really satisfying to acknowledge all of your hard work.
Yes Dave, it is neat to have others appreciate your car after you spend so much time making it exactly what you wanted.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,473 ·
Drove about 40 miles south to a car show Sat. at a venue called Powerland. It's a museum specializing in antique equipment for farms or construction. They have buildings housing different brands of tractors, and other equipment, plus some old big trucks. Also have a museum with cars and motorcycles, and nothing newer than 1950's there. Mostly early 20's-30's cars.
Met my nephew there as he lives about 15 miles further south, so he wanted to see the '39 up close. He was named after my dad, so he wanted a picture of him in the '39 too.

The trip down and back was at higher speeds than usual, and gas mileage went to heck for whatever reason? I was cruising around 75-80 mph, and I guesstimated about 10-11 mpg, and not the usual 17 mpg at 70 mph it gets. So today I did some checking, as it also smelled richer than usual. Float windows showed the level was a little high, so adjusted them down to bottom of the window. Then I got the fuel pressure gauge on it, and fuel pressure was a bit too high also, at around 8 psi. I've been sitting here with a regulator, gauge setup ready to install for many months, but hadn't done it yet. So I puled the lines, mounted the regulator and cut the AN line from the fuel pump loose, and remade the line to fit the regulator. Got it all plumbed, and adjusted to 5 psi, and checked for leaks. Took it for a test drive, and it doesn't smell rich now, so hopefully I'll get some mileage back to normal again!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Great photo of the car Vall. There's one decal conspicuously absent though; I'll leave it to you to guess which one.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,476 ·
Well I didn't need to wait to check the plugs on the '39 to know if my re-jetting was too lean or not! I drove it around today, and I could feel how anemic it was compared to before re-jetting! I could hit the throttle before and it jumped, but after downsizing the jets it felt really unresponsive when blipping the throttle, and the higher the gear range, the worse it was!
I left the #70 in the secondaries, but put 70's in the primaries also. So down from #74 secondaries, and 72 primaries, to 70's all 4 corners.
Took it out for a spin after changing and the engine was snappy and responsive again! Amazing the change from 72 primaries to 64 primaries affected performance so greatly! That's what I love about Holley and Quick Fuel carbs. Just super easy to tweak if you want to try little changes.

1461 - 1476 of 1476 Posts