Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1441 - 1460 of 1476 Posts

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,441 ·
My driver's side headlight lens has been bugging me. It had a rock chip originally, and I put clear epoxy inside to stabilize it. But the epoxy turned a creamy yellow, and people keep asking me what's stuck inside the lens.
So I ran over to my go to place at Old Car Parts, and he let me scrounge through his old lens box for an original "Tilt Ray" glass lens for my car. While looking through the box I heard him talking to a place on the phone about a Demon carburetor somebody wanted a kit for. My ears perked up as I had the 700 cfm Street Demon I'd rebuilt for my '39 sitting on a shelf in the shop. So I mentioned it to him when he got off the phone, and he wanted it. So sold the Demon, and got a small portion in trade for the nice old lens!
Perfect timing!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,443 ·
Vall r the 39 glass lens the same size as the 37 ???
Not positive Rik, but I think they may be? But then Joe at Old Car Parts keeps telling me '39's are one year only for many parts. In 1940 Chevy went to sealed beams. Too bad they didn't do so a year earlier! I do like the '39 lenses with their bulgy rounded shape though! And I couldn't put turn signal lamps inside a sealed beam, like I did with my reflectors.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Vall I have some glass lens for my car I'm not using. have to look around for them. will measure them and let you know the size. your welcome to them

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,445 ·
Vall I have some glass lens for my car I'm not using. have to look around for them. will measure them and let you know the size. your welcome to them
Rik, that's great! If they are "Tilt Ray" "Guide" 923344 Mass. they are correct for a '39 Chevy. May be others also that fit, as Joe said there's another with different pattern cast in the glass. Mine are 7.5" side to side, and have a small flat cast bottom center inside to orient them straight up.
Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
found tthem they are aftermarket lens and measure 7 1/16 side to side. the once I have on the car r tilt ray 920644 and r 7" side to side. Sorry buddy......

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,447 ·
found tthem they are aftermarket lens and measure 7 1/16 side to side. the once I have on the car r tilt ray 920644 and r 7" side to side. Sorry buddy......
That's not a surprise, as I was told it might be the case. Since the '39's were unique to the one year with many parts, I guess lenses were part of that too. Thanks Rik!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,448 ·
Got in the car today to move it, and the driver's floor mat had a tiny puddle of oil on it! Looked where it was coming from, and it's the oil pressure gauge. Checked the fitting, and it was plenty tight. So I'm taking Mario's advice and dumping the mechanical gauge and going to electronic, so I wont have any lines going into the cab, or chance of lines leaking.
Ordered an AutoMeter from Summit, and says it's in stock, so should get here fairly quickly.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,449 · (Edited)
Had a guy contact me this morning from the HAMB site, who said he saw my '39 and it reminded him of his uncle's '39 Chevy coupe. He sent me a picture from the movie American Grafitti where his uncle's hemi powered '39 Chevy had a couple scenes in that movie. One driving down the main drag, and another at the burger place getting an order delivered to the old coupe! The car was named "Hemi-Roid"

Looks like a cool old Chevy! Said it cost over $11k to build back then, and 4 years of work!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,450 ·
Failed on my attempt to swap out the oil gauge and sender this morning. It wont fit without a piece of copper pipe to raise it. But then it also needs a 45 degree fitting to get the sender away from the distributor too. I bought a 90, but it is too much bend to find an open place to point the sender. Hit the hardware stores, but nobody has all the pieces, so put the line back in the block until I can find the parts.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,451 ·
Wife and I got up and out early this morning to go to a car show about 45 miles north in Washington. The small town of Kalama, Wa. shuts the town down each year to turn it over to a car club to hold this show. My wife's brother and family live there, and a few other relatives are close also. So it's sort of a family reunion for her, and she wants to go to this show.
We headed out at 6:00 a. m. as the show starts officially at 8:00. But we got there before 7:00 and it was well over half full with more than 200 cars already there! Parked the '39, and headed to the fire station for their breakfast. Then registered, and bundled up as we tried to keep warm at a cool 63 degrees, and a brisk wind off the Columbia River! In a little over an hour the sun got high enough to shed sweatshirts, and soon after we were glad we'd set up in the shade, as it got pretty hot!
We hit the fire station again for burgers at lunch, and the turnout was record breaking with 450 cars registered!
My brother in law called us on the phone to ask us to meet him at the car, and then told me there was a piece of paper on the windshield. The '39 won it's first trophy, chosen as a "Sponsor's Favorite Award" by one of the sponsors. Turns out the guy who picked it told me he's just finishing up a '55 Chevy gasser, with a 6-71 blown SBC engine, and loved the old school theme. He showed me pictures of his '55 and we planned to meet at another cruise in two weeks when he's sure it will be street ready, and he can make it there!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice job! Must be pretty satisfying to win a trophy.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Congrats Vall! Did you by any chance tell him about the site and suggest he join?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,455 ·
Thanks guys!
Yes, I asked if he'd seen our site, but he said no. Also asked if he was on the Tri Five forum that spawned our forum, and he said no again. Think he's not an internet guy, or rarely.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,456 ·
Got out this morning to replace my driver's side header gasket. Quick 10 minute job, but got all but one bolt out when my neighbor came over and sheepishly asked if I'd give him some input on his newer Volvo wagon. Next thing I know I've got my tools across the street, most of the auxiliary pumps, compressors, and belt off, just to get the alternator out so we could put a new regulator in it. Those Swedes love to make things difficult to service! And the first time I've ever seen an alternator that's mounted in a fixed position, and wont pivot!!
Anyway, got him fixed up, and finished my header gasket. I found half the bolts were finger tight, and when I tried to tighten them the leak almost went away, but still a tiny tick. So put the new one on, and used some blue Loctite to hopefully hold the bolts. I'll check the bolts in a few days to see if they're staying tight. This is the 3rd gasket in 4500 miles now, and first one went out in less than 1000 miles. I can't seem to find gaskets with small enough holes, and I think the mating surface isn't wide enough to retain a good seal.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Vall, I believe I've written about these gaskets before, Remflex. I couldn't keep gaskets from blowing on my 53. I got a pair of them, a bit more expensive than others but they work so it's worth it. They come with a 1 year warranty against blowing out too. They're readily available through Amazon.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,458 ·
Vall, I believe I've written about these gaskets before, Remflex. I couldn't keep gaskets from blowing on my 53. I got a pair of them, a bit more expensive than others but they work so it's worth it. They come with a 1 year warranty against blowing out too. They're readily available through Amazon.
I looked at those Steve. Their warranty is six months, not a year. But reviews do seem to show very satisfied customers. I've got 3 more gaskets left, so I'll at least wait until I've used those up first. I can swap out a side in less than 10 minutes if the neighbor doesn't need help on his car!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I checked my extra set (I got a killer deal on ebay) and it does say 6 month warranty. I will say this though; they sealed the one port that kept blowing out no matter what gasket brand I used. When I pulled the heads last year to get them done the gaskets split in the middle. One half on the head and the other on the header flange and cleaned up nicely with little effort.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,460 ·
I looked at Amazon, Ebay, and Summit for them, and all had them. Surprisingly Ebay had the largest variety of port sizes for them for a SBC head. All around $28-$30 a pair. Summit had the best price at around $25, but with shipping they're not the cheapest. I may go ahead and buy a pair, just to have them in case the prices go higher. But think I'll wait a bit in case I need something from Summit that I could add to the order and get free shipping.

1441 - 1460 of 1476 Posts