Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1424 Posts

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,401 ·
Well this sucks, but could have been worse! Cruising down the freeway last night when I start hearing a steady thumping noise from the right rear? I slowed down and it gradually went away. At 55 mph or less I hear nothing. So today I got out the jack and jacked up the right rear tire to do some investigating. Didn't take long to find it!

Called Towel City and talked to them. The guy was nice, and said to send him a picture, and they'd get back to me Monday. So looks like the '39 will be grounded until whenever they replace this bad tire. We'll see if I have to pay shipping, or how well they cover their warranty. Hopefully they pay everything, and I'll only need to pay to have it mounted and balanced. And hopefully it wont take forever to do either!

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,402 ·
Those are great photos Vall, perfect setting. I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a station similar to this one on PCH in Big Sur. The attendants wore white uniforms and bow ties (just like when I worked at a Standard Station) and it was a favorite tourist stop for both gas and photos.
Looks like we were typing at the same time Steve!
The Flying A here is not an active service station. Closed down years ago, and just a historical building now.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Don't feel bad Vall I had a similar experience with the cheaters I have on the 53 . About a week after I put them on and the car sat for a couple days I came out to a flat, one of mine had a pin hole leak in the side wall. I contacted Towel City and they sent out a replacement shipped at their expense. I just had to send a photo of the tire with the spot on the side wall clearly marked. Still a PITA though.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,404 ·
Do you recall how long it took to get the replacement? If I recall my originals took about a month after I ordered them. Sure hope that's not another month to get a replacement, as I'll miss some great shows and cruising weather!!

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Thanks Mario! I do want to get one of those pictures enlarged to frame. Just for my own wall here.
I wonder how Vista Print would handle a poster.
Those are great photos Vall, perfect setting. I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a station similar to this one on PCH in Big Sur. The attendants wore white uniforms and bow ties (just like when I worked at a Standard Station) and it was a favorite tourist stop for both gas and photos.
Steve in a bow tie? I’d pay to see that. 😂

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Well this sucks, but could have been worse! Cruising down the freeway last night when I start hearing a steady thumping noise from the right rear? I slowed down and it gradually went away. At 55 mph or less I hear nothing. So today I got out the jack and jacked up the right rear tire to do some investigating. Didn't take long to find it!

Called Towel City and talked to them. The guy was nice, and said to send him a picture, and they'd get back to me Monday. So looks like the '39 will be grounded until whenever they replace this bad tire. We'll see if I have to pay shipping, or how well they cover their warranty. Hopefully they pay everything, and I'll only need to pay to have it mounted and balanced. And hopefully it wont take forever to do either!
OMG I hate to see that. Wow.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If I remember correctly Vall it was about 2 weeks. Also, for the poster. If you have a Kinkos nearby that's where I go for my posters from photos. Just remember to use the best digital device you have with the highest pixel count for the best quality print.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,409 ·
If I remember correctly Vall it was about 2 weeks. Also, for the poster. If you have a Kinkos nearby that's where I go for my posters from photos. Just remember to use the best digital device you have with the highest pixel count for the best quality print.
Kinkos doesn't exist anymore. They were bought out by FedEx, but I think they still do enlarging and printing?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Wow that sucks big time...looks like it was Not a cap failure but may have been a bubble in the cap its self??? Hard to tell...well at least you got to rods two drive...the Austin has push out a/c........lol...who do you have mount your tires my place that specialized in custom wheels is gone..

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,412 ·
Wow that sucks big time...looks like it was Not a cap failure but may have been a bubble in the cap its self??? Hard to tell...well at least you got to rods two drive...the Austin has push out a/c........lol...who do you have mount your tires my place that specialized in custom wheels is gone..
I have a place that's walking distance from my house. Lovely Tire has been the hotrodders go to place forever. The owner retired and sold it to his ex son in law, so he has the grandson working there now too. I also have a mobile guy who comes to your house and does mounting and balancing very reasonably.

Yes, it appears the cap held to the casing, but cap itself failed. Haven't even started up the Austin recently, so guess it's time to start driving it again! I have felt bad ignoring it, but you know how we get with new toys!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It's FedEx/Kinkos out here also, didn't figure the FedEx part was necessary.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,414 ·
Here they dropped the Kinkos part completely. I had to look on the internet to find out it was Fed Ex now as I thought Kinkos just closed their doors.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,415 ·
Just got off the phone with Towel City rep, and not sure if they'll cover the tire letting go or not? He told me if I'd purchased them within the last year they'd replace it, but I'd have to pay shipping. I told him that just like most projects I bought the tires long before I had it on the road, so I could mock up the car with the tires. So it's been two years since I purchased them, and well beyond their 1 yr. warranty. But I also told him the car had been on the road for 3300 miles, and a little over 8 months, so regardless of when they were purchased they're pretty new tires.
He said he'd see what they can do, so really wont know how they'll handle this yet? If they wont replace it, I'll probably take the other off, and buy something else. I wont deal with Towel City again if they wont stand behind their products.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,416 ·
Going to begin my search for alternative rear tires. But it looks like new tires from places like Radir will cost around $1000 shipped to me!!! I may end up switching to something with tread, but not much in treaded tires looks old school enough to me. Only thing I've seen even close are MT Sportman Pro that have a squared off style tire, and large enough diameter to look decent. The MT Pro in a 29-12.5-15 is actually a 10" tread, so slightly wider, but same height as what I have now. Another 1/2" inside and outside is an easy fit. And still will work with my 8.5" wheels.
$526 a pair shipped to me, so about half as much, and about the same price as the Towel City for a pair of recaps. Sure hate to lose the pie crust looks, but have to consider it if Towel City doesn't come through for me.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Going to begin my search for alternative rear tires. But it looks like new tires from places like Radir will cost around $1000 shipped to me!!! I may end up switching to something with tread, but not much in treaded tires looks old school enough to me. Only thing I've seen even close are MT Sportman Pro that have a squared off style tire, and large enough diameter to look decent. The MT Pro in a 29-12.5-15 is actually a 10" tread, so slightly wider, but same height as what I have now. Another 1/2" inside and outside is an easy fit. And still will work with my 8.5" wheels.
$526 a pair shipped to me, so about half as much, and about the same price as the Towel City for a pair of recaps. Sure hate to lose the pie crust looks, but have to consider it if Towel City doesn't come through for me.
Did you look at the firestones? Summit or Speedway?

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,418 ·
Did you look at the firestones? Summit or Speedway?
The Firestones are Coker, and besides being uglier than sin, they too run $1,000 a pair shipped. I've checked everywhere, and really not many options for the squared off tread design I want. The Firestone Cokers don't have a true pie crust sidewall. More like a truck offroad sidewall, than pie crust. But even if they did, the $399 per tire, and $215 shipping is a killer I can't accept.
The MT 28-12.5-15LT is as close in size to what I have, and the shape looks like what we ran in the 70's still. It's 1.4" wider, so they'd hang out almost 3/4" farther, but I can live with that OK. Or remove my billet wheel spacers, and they'd be 1/4" less than they are now. Not sure I want less tire showing, as I prefer the look of more.
At $525 shipped to my door, if Towel City screws this up, I'll probably go with these MT tires.

Just got off the phone with Towel City, and it will cost me $110 to replace the tire. That includes the shipping cost, which they also wont eat. I am not too happy that it will cost me anything, but I guess this is the best and quickest option. Since they're trying to go away from any slicks built on used casings now, it will be a brand new tire. Which also makes it ship sooner, and he said they should have it ready to ship in a week, or possibly less.
He told me they do still make some on old casings, but are trying to phase completely away from recaps, and urge customers to buy their slicks built on new casings.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've thought the same thing about the Firestone cheaters also Vall and never like them. It's interesting about Towel City encouraging the use of new tire casings because however long ago it was when I bought the tires for my Willys they were saying the same thing back then. You didn't mention Radir Radir Wheels - Dragster Slicks - Grooved Cheater Slicks - Whitewall Slicks brand slicks that still sell the pie crust slicks and they advertise that theirs are not recaps.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,420 ·
I've thought the same thing about the Firestone cheaters also Vall and never like them. It's interesting about Towel City encouraging the use of new tire casings because however long ago it was when I bought the tires for my Willys they were saying the same thing back then. You didn't mention Radir Radir Wheels - Dragster Slicks - Grooved Cheater Slicks - Whitewall Slicks brand slicks that still sell the pie crust slicks and they advertise that theirs are not recaps.
Yeah, I did mention Radir a few posts back. Another $1000 a pair pie crust slick, so as I mentioned not in the budget for me. Radir doesn't even make a blackwall slick. Have to turn them inside, and somehow dye them black if you want blackwalls.

1401 - 1420 of 1424 Posts