Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1424 Posts

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,381 ·
Oh, and one note on paint thinning. I didn't get pictures, as I was scrambling when things let loose!
I got to the black paint border, and decided I needed a small container to work from, so I asked Deb for a plastic cup. Poured the gloss black paint in it, and then noticed it was a little too thick for this project. So grabbed my can of acetone and poured a splash in the cup, and stirred it in.
Began filling in the black border on the Howard's Cams on the hood, and suddenly felt something oozing over my latex glove! Looked down and the plastic cup had melted and black paint was running down the side of my white fender!! I set the cup down, and quickly grabbed an old towel and some thinner. Wiped off the paint, and follwed up with thinner. Came out fine, and I was relieved.
Then I reached down to grab the cup and pour the rest back into the paint can, and the whole bottom fell out of the can!!! Now I have paint running all over my piece of brown masking paper, and headed quickly to the edges! I grabbed the corners to contain it, and poured all I could in the can. Then took it to the grass where any mess could be mowed the next time the grass gets cut. Took another 20 minutes to clean up all the mess, so I could get back to painting again!
So I was reminded why you don't put even a small amount of acetone in paint if it's in a plastic cup! Plastic doesn't do well with acetone reduced paint!

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,383 ·
OH MY that looks bitchinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ME likes a lot...……….....
Thanks Rik! I really agonized over lettering, but I finally decided it just looked too plain as it was, so decided lettering would not only break things up, but make it look more period too.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Very nice Vall. Has the ole school look. Great job. Tough working in the heat.
This 39 has twofold meaning to you. Sentimental.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Plastic cup lesson well learned. You use paper coffee Cups for that kind of thing. Hahahaha

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,386 ·
Very nice Vall. Has the ole school look. Great job. Tough working in the heat.
This 39 has twofold meaning to you. Sentimental.
Thanks Mario!
My neck is a little burnt from the sun. Took about 4 hrs. to start feeling it, but now it's telling me.
I kinda laughed about the cup thing later, but wasn't that funny when I saw the black paint on my freshly painted white fender. Surprised it came off easily, and didn't hurt the new paint.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Vall, the lettering came out great. Did you use one shot paint? If you did and you wanted it to look more rustic, you could wet sand it with 600 grit very lightly after it has dried for several days. Just have to be careful of the background paint.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,388 ·
Thanks! No Mike I used Rustoleum as I used on my Falcon, and other cars. But I'm not interested in making it look worn really.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I bet that spill made your heart jump into your throat. especially after all that paint work.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,390 ·
I bet that spill made your heart jump into your throat. especially after all that paint work.
Yeah it was one of those moments you fear, and that's why I had the masking paper on it. I figured to stop drips, not huge gushers of paint! But at least the paper worked to keep much of the paint from going into places I couldn't have cleaned up!
My heart sank when I saw it, and figured it might not clean up easily. Closest thing I had was a bag that hangs by the garage door with clean towels I use to dry my cars. So one got ruined to save the paint job!

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Yeah it was one of those moments you fear, and that's why I had the masking paper on it. I figured to stop drips, not huge gushers of paint! But at least the paper worked to keep much of the paint from going into places I couldn't have cleaned up!
My heart sank when I saw it, and figured it might not clean up easily. Closest thing I had was a bag that hangs by the garage door with clean towels I use to dry my cars. So one got ruined to save the paint job!
Small sacrifice to save a paint job. 👏👏😉

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,392 ·
Might be pretty boring if I didn't have a few oops during a project build! At least this one turned out to be an easy save.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,393 ·
Drove to our local vintage Flying A station today to get some pictures. Owner happened to stop in while I was there, and asked me to please send him copies for the scrapbook he keeps. This place is used by all the local hotrodders to take car pictures.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Your car looks great Vall. I'm so happy you went with a traditional wheel too; it suits the build perfectly!!

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,395 ·
Your car looks great Vall. I'm so happy you went with a traditional wheel too; it suits the build perfectly!!
Thanks Steve! Not a lot of choices of vintage wheels that are made new. And some I can't afford too! The American TTO's are just about eh nicest and least expensive of the vintage new wheels.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Really does say Gasser now...so have you finished cutting on the paint yet>>>I like your hood scoop..........oh wait thats your air conditioner..........lol............looks great and the white nice and a little different....

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,397 ·
Really does say Gasser now...so have you finished cutting on the paint yet>>>I like your hood scoop..........oh wait thats your air conditioner..........lol............looks great and the white nice and a little different....
I gave up on cutting and buffing Lash. It's good enough, so it will remain as it is.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Great pics Vall. That’s classic. Love it. I see posters in your future.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Those are great photos Vall, perfect setting. I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a station similar to this one on PCH in Big Sur. The attendants wore white uniforms and bow ties (just like when I worked at a Standard Station) and it was a favorite tourist stop for both gas and photos.

1381 - 1400 of 1424 Posts