Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1424 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I used a reversed corvair on my model A, mounted it right at the fire wall and used a double joint so I could get the column over to center. That thing drove dang good.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,362 ·
I have a Corvair van box with integral column on my Austin. Had to cut the column to length as it's part of the box, but works well ahead of the axle for my car.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,363 ·
It seems everyone who does lettering, or pinstriping is a flake around my area! After getting a list of guys who I've been told are good, and willing to do my '39, I began calling around. Some never returned multiple calls and messages at all. Some eventually returned my calls, and agreed to either do the work, or meet to look over the car, but never followed through. One who I've used before answered the phone, and talked forever. Then asked me to send pics of the font style I wanted, and measurements for the length and width of the door. Several emails later, not a single response to what I sent him.
Seems nobody needs the work, or is interested in the work. Never even got to the point of asking for price estimates!! Just no response, or no answer at all.
So today I went to the sign guy who made the vinyl stickers for my Austin, and the stencils for my Falcon. Called him up to talk, and he asked me if I wanted to run over to his shop. He came running out when I got there, and spent 20 minutes just talking about the car, before even mentioning the work. We finally went over what I wanted, and the size and font I needed. Then he took pictures of the car and told me he'd mock up what I wanted in 2 or 3 styles, and email them to me in the next couple days to choose and approve one.
So looks like I'll be doing the paint by number like I did on the Falcon. When it's done it is hand painted, but not free hand. Looks great, and I will paint it in myself. No pinstriping unless somebody eventually follows up sometime. Just door signage, hood, name on upper door, and D/G for the quarters.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I feel your pain Vall. It isn't just stripers, seems like no one thinks they need a job. I called a couple of companies I had done business with before and could not get them to return a phone call, or to come out to give me a bid on some construction/ground landscaping. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
That is why I do my own.........lol .....Vall if you can lay down tape you can do the stripes your self..with one shot and a product such as The Striper pin striping stencil tape. ain't cheap but it does work...most painters I knew back in the day like Hoarst where heavy drinkers and only worked when thy where out of cash...

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,366 ·
That is why I do my own.........lol .....Vall if you can lay down tape you can do the stripes your self..with one shot and a product such as The Striper pin striping stencil tape. ain't cheap but it does work...most painters I knew back in the day like Hoarst where heavy drinkers and only worked when thy where out of cash...
I will likely do the simple single stripe in the body molding that way. But the lettering is something I could never even dream of doing without Chris's outline stencil to make it perfect. It would look like a kindergartner did the lettering if I tried it freehand.
Where do you buy this "striping stencil tape"?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,369 ·
Well Chris is good for his word! I just got two mock up images, and this is the one I chose to go with. The other was great too, but a little more modern looking font.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,372 ·
LOOKIN GOOD!!!!!!!
Thanks Steve!
Still deciding if I'll add any of the vintage stickers I have or not? The two in the 1/4 window are a 1961 and 1964 NHRA participant sticker for the Nationals. Have a bunch more, but thinking any I use will go on the side of the cowl with the Mooneyes stickers.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,374 ·
That looks great Vall. You're going to be all done soon and have to start another. 😉
Thanks Mike! I probably would if I wasn't out of space here. Something has to go if I get over 3 vehicles, plus the wife's car. She wouldn't be happy parking on the street.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,375 ·
Just sat down to lunch this afternoon when Chris from Signs Now called to tell me my stencils were done! Put lunch aside, and jumped in the '39 to go get them right away. Pulled into their lot and the whole staff came out to look the '39 over. Thought that was funny.
Supposed to be mid 80's to low 90's the next 4 days, so after I do brakes on our adopted granddaughter's car tomorrow I might get started on the lettering.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Just sat down to lunch this afternoon when Chris from Signs Now called to tell me my stencils were done! Put lunch aside, and jumped in the '39 to go get them right away. Pulled into their lot and the whole staff came out to look the '39 over. Thought that was funny.
Supposed to be mid 80's to low 90's the next 4 days, so after I do brakes on our adopted granddaughter's car tomorrow I might get started on the lettering.
That sounds pretty exciting Vall. Keep us posted for sure. Can't wait to see it.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,377 ·
If I get some little chores done this weekend, and can get out there before it gets too hot, I might get it done. Supposed to be around 90 the next 3 days! Yikes!

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
we had that weather last week and today is an all time low of 53. crazy.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,379 ·
we had that weather last week and today is an all time low of 53. crazy.
Been the same crazy weather here too Mario. Last week it was raining and 50's for highs. Week before sunny and warm, and the same predicted for the next week. Just up and down like a yo yo.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,380 · (Edited)
Hotter than heck out there today! Got out before 9:00, but it took 5 hours to do the lettering, and when I finally finished it was already mid 80's. The large door stencils were a PITA to do thee 2nd part that is the thin black line. I finally cut all the excess vinyl stencil back to within 1/4" just so I could see where I was situating them. Also cut the "Miller's" separate from the lower part so I could place them 1/2 at a time. Messed up one "S" on Miller's and had to freehand it with just the outer border as the inner border wrinkled up and stuck to itself! Arrggg! I'm shaky as heck, but by going slowly it worked out.
Here's the procedure. Put tape down to set them the same for both sides, and then align the top and one side to the marked out tape. Then just paint in the stencil.

Once the first red base is done and dry, I situated the black stencil over it, which covers the red base, and lets me do the think black border. Some parts didn't get a border, as they're too small to mess with. Like Deb's name on passenger side, and my dad's name on the driver's side. Just a nod to him, as he was my hero, and his first new car was a '39 Chev too.

Of course added a few more stickers to the side of the cowl, and that's it. Wont be putting any on the body.

1361 - 1380 of 1424 Posts