Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1321 - 1340 of 1354 Posts

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,321 ·
Sanding, sanding, and more sanding! I'm sick of sanding, yet I still keep finding small imperfections that will show once it's painted! Gave the whole car another coat of high build primer, since I was certain it was ready. But after coating it, and once again going over it with my high intensity LED light, I found more little imperfections. They're easy to fix, but then it's more sanding, and spotting in more primer.
Next week is supposed to be some great weather, and I hope I can take advantage of it and get the '39 painted! I just hope I'm getting done with sanding!

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,323 ·
Vall, are you using a guide coat when sanding the primer? If not, it really helps.
Yes Mike, and it did help with getting the large flat areas smoother and straighter. But doesn't seem to do much with the various tiny imperfections I see once I shot primer again. I'm talking a tiny scratch, or pinhole here and there that the black mist guide coat rarely reveals. But they'll stick out like a sore thumb once shiny new paint is over them.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,324 ·
Jacked the '39 up today, and took the slicks off the back. Needed clearance to be able to shoot the lip on the rear fender radius. I cleaned and masked off the interior, and interior doors today. Tomorrow I'm going to shoot paint in the jams at door openings, and trunk. Then I'll get everything set up for Painting the whole car Wed. if things go OK tomorrow.
I again found a couple more little imperfections today, but I think I've got them all now. If not, I guess I'll live with it regardless. Maybe lettering, and the rest of whatever I do to the body will camouflage it if it's not perfect when I'm done?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
YES...Vall you will have to live with the mistakes and boo..boo's...but the good is ,after time you will forget their there

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,326 ·
Got the jams shot this morning. Temps are slightly low, but my friend's son told me slightly low isn't a problem like too hot is, and he prefers to shoot color slightly below the catalyst range. Anyway, it went fine, and no runs so far. Did the door jams, inside of trunk lid, and doors inside edges only.
I'll remove some masking later so the doors close, and then sand the whole car one more time tomorrow prior to starting the final paint work. The Wimbledon White is a little creamier than I thought, but I'm glad it is. Better than a stark white, that's a bit too bright.
The new spray gun is still spraying really great! And the urethane lays down much better than the primer did!

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,327 ·
What a day! My rear is dragging, but the '39 is painted! Took 4 hours from start to finish, and 4 coats until I ended up with less than a cup of paint in the gallon. I'll save it for any minor touchups I might ever need.
The first coat went on really well, but it was semi transparent, as I just wanted a light coat to bond to the primer. Then I followed up with three more coats about every 20 minutes as the directions called for.
This was the first light coat:

Took these after the 2nd coat, but no more pictures after that. I'll wait until I can get things reassembled and get it out of the shop before I take the final pictures.

Surprisingly for me, not a single run anywhere! Actually shocking! I did see two places where a bug committed suicide, and I'll have to rub them out once it's cured in a day or three. Had the first coat laid down, and stepped out of the shop to see my neighbor headed towards me with his lawnmower! I'd told him I'd be painting the car today, but guess that he's oblivious to what dust means, even with a furnace filter on the inlet vent to the shop. Had to run and stop him before he got too close!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Got her done Vall looks good...more white than there web color sample shows..it was pretty tan looking

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,331 ·
Thanks Lash. It looked much more tan when I opened the can also. But I suspected it would be lighter once sprayed. I also expect in the sun it will look a bit lighter still.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'm liking it more and more with each new post Vall. (y)

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,334 ·
I'm liking it more and more with each new post Vall. (y)
Thanks Steve! I'm going to take my time thinking over lettering, and such. I'm just not sure now if I want much, or how much? I am leaning towards very little right now.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,335 ·
Got the lights reassembled, and connected. Then did more cleaning. I can't figure out how all the very light mist got into the interior glass! I had to use some thinner to remove the film off all the inside glass, and a little outside. Then window cleaner inside and out also. Upholstery and carpet looked fine, just the glass. Weird.
Went out and bought a new random orbital polisher, compound, and some wet/dry 1500 grit paper. I wont go over the whole car wet sanding, but need to hit some trouble spots. Then I'll buff the whole car out with compound, and later polish and wax it too once it's got a month or so to cure.
The new polisher is a Torqx brand, six speeds from a few hundred rpm's to 6400 rpm's. Seems like a well made tool.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,338 ·
It looks fucking great Vall!!!
Thanks Steve! Pictures look better than the up close does. But hopefully once I've gone over the paint it will be better.
It seems to be getting a lot more thumbs up, and cell phone pictures than it did in primer, so I guess it looks good enough from a distance.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Awesome...keep in mind before wet sanding that if the paint has a slight orange peel to it..like most do...when you wet sand it , it will leave smooth areas that will stick out like a sore thumb against the not wet sanded areas...so look at the areas you are not going to sand and only sand down to that like area.,..don't know if that makes since to you...or me...but just go light and easy...I am thinking that with almost 4 coats you have plenty of room for finish work...out side looks more like a true ford white...nice work

1321 - 1340 of 1354 Posts