Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1326 Posts

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,301
The primer-sealer did not happen today. Weather was great, and ended up around 73 degrees, but after talking to Mario, and then calling the guy who painted my Austin, I put it off.
Mario and my friend both confirmed that paint needs to go on soon after the primer-sealer, or risk adhesion issues, where paint wont adhere without scuffing and giving it yet another fresh coat of primer-sealer to reactivate it. My friend who painted the Austin was even less forgiving on the time frame between sealer and paint than Mario. He told me if I waited until it got to the time it can be sanded, I was already in trouble. He said if it said it was ready to sand in two hours, he'd be shooting paint on it in one hour!
So I'll be waiting for much warmer weather when I can start painting at 70 degrees, and have enough time to shoot primer, let it dry for an hour, and then shoot as many coats of paint as my materials allow. He also told me to let the first light base coat dry a full hour, and then I can do all subsequent coats at around 20-30 minutes apart.
Since I'm a real newb at this, I'm going to do as I'm told by Mario, and my painter friend. No reason to reinvent the wheel, if guys who know tell me otherwise.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,302
Why is it that stuff fails just when you're ready to use it again? It reminds me of the often overused phrase, "Ran when parked"!
I was working on the '39 and wanted to spray some more high build primer on a couple panels. So I grab my primer, and mix in the catalyst and some reducer. Stir it all up, and dump it in my spray gun. Turn around to do a test spray on an old piece of plywood leaning against the wall and it dribbles out the end of the nozzle!
I dumped the primer back in the mixing cup, and quickly tore the gun apart to see if I could do a quick cleanup. But after pouring some reducer in the gun to check the pattern, it still just dribbled out the end. Threw my stuff down, and raced over to Harbor freight, and bought a spare spray gun. Didn't want a cheap $15 gun, but didn't need a $175, or $275 they sell either. So settled on a mid grade gun I figured would spray primer OK. Rushed back home, and wrenched the connectors, and inline regulator off, and transferred it all to the new gun. Shot some acetone through it quick to clean it, and loaded up the primer and sprayed before it turned over.
Was actually surprised at how well the new spray gun shot primer! Good enough I'll use it when I spray the whole car in primer later.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
sorry that happened buddy but that is par for the course with that stuff. I bought a Husky gun from Home Depot when that happened to me too. Believe it or not it sprayed the metallic oN the coupe beautiful. No pulsating and uneven spray. Your getting good at this Vall. Hang in there. You’re almost home.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
You do know that the paint comes with instructions...and more likely more info on TCP global................lol..........Glad you are waiting to paint, the weather is just not right..as well as the humidity is also a factor....no reason to be in a hurry.....paint is patience...and while doing your primer practice your over lap patterns and distance and sweep

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,305
I remember doing both epoxy and 2k primer, and getting runs in both with the gun that quit. I started out shooting with this new gun using the 4:1 mix, and it just went on too thick. So I stopped and mixed in one part reducer also, and then started again. It laid down nicely, and not a single run anywhere this time.
So I'll probably use this gun for the rest of my spray work going forward. It was $75, but worth it to have it work better than the other gun worked. I looked at reviews on the two expensive $175 and $275 HF guns, and they got rave reviews, but couldn't force the cheapskate in me to pay that price.
My buddy's son whose a Lincoln Tech grad 30 years ago and paints for a major dealership told me he'd come by whenever I paint it, and "supervise" as I shoot it to help give me tips to maybe make it come out better. He surprised me when I talked to him, and he said they sand out runs occasionally when they get them, and if they accidentally sand through the sealer they have spray cans of sealer they hit the spots with before painting the top coat.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,306
You do know that the paint comes with instructions...and more likely more info on TCP global................lol..........Glad you are waiting to paint, the weather is just not right..as well as the humidity is also a factor....no reason to be in a hurry.....paint is patience...and while doing your primer practice your over lap patterns and distance and sweep
Yeah, but instructions don't include seminars, or apprenticeships! I can and do follow their instructions for mixing, paint temps, etc. My buddy's son told me not to be afraid to shoot in temps below the range of your catalyst, as long as it's within 10 degrees of the bottom range. He said he usually does like shooting at a lower temp than the catalyst, as it gives the paint more time to lay down. It was 66 outside when I shot primer, but probably just over 70 in the shop, which is the bottom of my range. It still dried flat within 15 minutes, so seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Sounds to me you got your mojo Vall. Slower dry is great except on vertical surface. Don’t go too heavy on a coat or you could get a giant run of paint. Do your test shots and watch how it lays down on your plywood or even card board. Consistent speed movements across too. You’ll get real comfortable at the end of your spray job like all of us do. But it’s absolutely rewarding. You got this.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have been using a harbor freight gun for years and it never fails.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,309
I have been using a harbor freight gun for years and it never fails.
Wish I could say the same Dave. I had two HF guns here and one didn't work because I probably didn't clean it well enough. But I opened the 2nd one new in the box to use yesterday, and it's the one that failed right off. That's what prompted me to buy a higher grade HF spray gun and it did a great job.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wish I could say the same Dave. I had two HF guns here and one didn't work because I probably didn't clean it well enough. But I opened the 2nd one new in the box to use yesterday, and it's the one that failed right off. That's what prompted me to buy a higher grade HF spray gun and it did a great job.
That sucks. It has been hit or miss for me with their tools. I guess I got lucky!

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,311
That sucks. It has been hit or miss for me with their tools. I guess I got lucky!
I've had good luck with HF tools mostly, but I do avoid expendables there as the quality is usually way lower than decent stuff. I figure I was due to have something fail there. When I bought that gun a guy standing there tells me, "Those are really good guns for a $15 spray gun."
I looked around the internet one day and came across a video where a guy was comparing a bunch of HF spray guns. He said in the video the key to their quality was where it said they were made on the box. Some made in China, and their upper line made by another company in Taiwan. Supposedly the Taiwan guns were much better quality?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
A good gun will have a good and tight fit of the needle in its bushings that keep the main needle centered...and head holes will be drilled clean...I always check the air flow out of the various head holes with my hand and fingers at about 20 psi...dry no paint, to see if the flow feels even between holes (opposing)...then I fill with thinner and try different settings...every gun is different...witch type of gun did you buy???

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,313
A good gun will have a good and tight fit of the needle in its bushings that keep the main needle centered...and head holes will be drilled clean...I always check the air flow out of the various head holes with my hand and fingers at about 20 psi...dry no paint, to see if the flow feels even between holes (opposing)...then I fill with thinner and try different settings...every gun is different...witch type of gun did you buy???
I bought their HVLP Spectrum model. I sprayed acetone through it before starting to use it, just in case they oiled parts internally when assembled. This is the one I bought.

Supposed to be a copy of a Sata spray gun. When I did a test spray on the shop wall to set the pattern it came out just about perfect, and I only had to increase the fluid adjustment to get it a little wetter. I have a regulator at my gun, and a gauge, so I pull the trigger halfway to just get air, and then adjust my pressure to around 35 psi with the trigger pulled. When I release it the pressure bumps up to around 50 psi with the trigger closed.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hey Vall did you put a filter on the air at the gun? They sell threaded filters to fit on the gun itself. Good thing to have.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,315
Hey Vall did you put a filter on the air at the gun? They sell threaded filters to fit on the gun itself. Good thing to have.
Yes, I have both a filter, and a regulator with gauge right at the gun. Makes the gun a little longer, but actually didn't notice it once I started spraying.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I got that gun also Vall, works great. Any of these new high build primers I take the gun apart and use brake clean and clean all the parts and then spray thinner through it again. I had one of their $15 guns I used for primer and it worked great until I didn't clean it that way. Hope the paint comes out all right.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I bought one of there $15 guns but returned it cause it was stuck tight with some kind of old storage shit...I am like VHT I take my gun all the way down and clean it till it looks like the day it was made...but my gun was not cheap either...so it behooves me to do it right

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,318
I took the spray nozzle off, and cleaned it with reducer, and then acetone as soon as I stopped painting. Then after cleaning the cup, I poured acetone in the cup, and sprayed it through the gun after I assembled it, just in case I missed anything. So it should be fine for the next stage..

·
Registered
645 Posts
Vall I hope you had better luck with TCP Global than I did on my last order. Over 2 wks to get the materials, never did get the roll of masking paper I ordered and they didn't install the lock ring on the gallon of paint and I lost a 1/3 of a gallon in the UPS truck. Emailed them twice with no response. Ordering stuff now is a crap shoot.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,320
Vall I hope you had better luck with TCP Global than I did on my last order. Over 2 wks to get the materials, never did get the roll of masking paper I ordered and they didn't install the lock ring on the gallon of paint and I lost a 1/3 of a gallon in the UPS truck. Emailed them twice with no response. Ordering stuff now is a crap shoot.
Mine has been here for over a week, and no issues. I only ordered the kit with paint, catalyst, stir sticks, and filter funnels. I have plenty of masking tape and paper, so didn't need that.
Went back to HF today, just to buy a couple more items I needed before painting. I bought a filter/moisture separator to add at my compressor. Just to make sure if I get to shooting multiple coats I don't begin to develop moisture in the compressor. And I bought a new mini filter to hang on my gun as I'm not sure how good the other is since it's been on there awhile.
So hopefully I'm covered better once I get to the paint process and wont be stopping to make trips to HF for more stuff!

1301 - 1320 of 1326 Posts