Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1326 Posts

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,281
I wont be taking off the fenders, etc., as my shop has it's space limitations, and not sure I could do that with out painting fenders one day. Then trunk lid and hood the next day. Then doors the next day. And finally the car the next day. Then where do I put the freshly painted parts as I move on to the next pieces? And where do I put the car while all this happens, and keep it secure with various parts removed? I just don't see this as an option.
And building a scaffold would mean I'd have no way to get around the scaffold. My shop is 10' wide, so a 72" wide car leaves me 2 ft. on each side. And it's 20' long, so I've got about 2.5 ft. in front and back to work. I'll be propping the entry doors open enough to set a exhaust fan, and then use clear plastic to close it in above the fan, just to get some air exiting, and some extra space. So not like I've got even a two car garage to do this paint job in.
I have plenty of primer to give the car another coat, and will be degreasing it with Presol prior to priming it again. Then move on to paint the next day, after I've given the primer a quick light sanding one final time.
Doesn't seem like a short time to me, as I usually build cars in 6 months, or so. This is two years now, which is longer than any build I've ever done. But since it's had more metal to replace than anything I've ever done I expected it to be much longer. Heck I think I figured out I have over 1,000 hrs. just in repairing all the rotted out metal! And that's not counting little areas like this morning that I discovered after I thought I was done!

So if it's not perfect, there's not a lot I can do within my space limitations. Gotta make the best out of my situation, and hope it's acceptable to most people. Only other option is paying big bucks for somebody else to do it for me, and that's not in the cards.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hey Vall, have fun with the paint job. Always happy when that is done, a great feeling of accomplishment. Almost like the first time the motor starts. White paint will cover a lot of sins and come out better than you think. Just remember, it is like being in snow, you get a little color blind. Take a longer break between coats than you might normally take to let you eyes recover.
Take care.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Wow has it been two years already that is scary...https://www.deviantart.com/floridanphotographer/art/39-Chevy-Coupe-The-Lady-in-White-763250489

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
When I read that you were going with white Vall I wasn't all that excited. Now that Lash has posted the hyperlink for another white 39 and I see what it looks like, it's killer.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,285
Wow has it been two years already that is scary...https://www.deviantart.com/floridanphotographer/art/39-Chevy-Coupe-The-Lady-in-White-763250489
Thanks for the link Lash! I've not found a picture of a white '39, so nice to see one. That accent line he has in the side molding is what I want to also have done. But with some other small pinstriped pieces here and there too. His has the center strip and ornament on the hood too. The Master 85 hood ornament, and not the Deluxe ornament. I've decided to leave mine off, and my glass hood has no center strip, so wont do that either.

Thanks Mike. I haven't got the paint yet, so not sure about how much time they say to allow between coats? But I'm sure I'll want to get outside, and get my glasses, and respirator off between coats! The primer was pretty overwhelming when I did it by about 3/4 way through the spray. Felt pretty good to get outside, and breath fresh air afterwards. Those respirators don't do much to stop fumes.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Your going to need one of these also...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-White-Chevy-Coupe-Custom-Hot-Rod-USA-T-Shirt-39-Muscle-Car-Tees-/362206957245

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Here is one sans the bumpers...not a lot of white ones on the web...http://davidsclassiccars.com/chevrolet/44965-1939-chevy-coupe-pearl-white-gray-interior.html

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,289
Forgot how long it takes to get a car ready for paint! Started this morning removing lights, and masking off windows. After 5 hrs. of it, I quit and called it a day. Still need to mask the door openings off so I can shoot the jams first, before shooting the whole car. But before that happens I need to give it one more coat of high build primer, and sand it first.
Still waiting on a kit of connectors I bought so I can add them to headlights, and taillights, so I can make both front and rear turn signals plug in, and allow me to paint those housings separately.

Edged all the weatherstrip with yellow vinyl masking tape, and then came back with paper and blue tape. The vinyl tape conforms to the shapes easier, and is a little stickier on the rubber.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Great job Vall. It is a lot of work. It’s worth it though.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Thanks for the link Lash! I've not found a picture of a white '39, so nice to see one. That accent line he has in the side molding is what I want to also have done. But with some other small pinstriped pieces here and there too. His has the center strip and ornament on the hood too. The Master 85 hood ornament, and not the Deluxe ornament. I've decided to leave mine off, and my glass hood has no center strip, so wont do that either.

Thanks Mike. I haven't got the paint yet, so not sure about how much time they say to allow between coats? But I'm sure I'll want to get outside, and get my glasses, and respirator off between coats! The primer was pretty overwhelming when I did it by about 3/4 way through the spray. Felt pretty good to get outside, and breath fresh air afterwards. Those respirators don't do much to stop fumes.
You should be using a positive air flow respirator mask. Keeps the fumes out. Protect your lungs. If you know anyone using a CEPAP FULL FACE MASK maybe get one that is ready for discard and add an air line So you could feed it regulated air and breath a lot safer

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,292
Thought I'd fit my respirator with a QD fitting, and plug it into my air compressor Mario! :) Not sure where I'd find a positive air supply mask? It certainly would be nice though!
I actually had considered modifying one of my Gerson cartridge respirators. They have the outlet in between the canisters, and I had the crazy thought that I might remove that, and epoxy in a air line.
My Gerson says it's 95% effective against oil based organic vapors like my acrylic paint.

My electrical connectors arrived in the mail today, so tomorrow I can cut and splice the wiring to headlights and turn signals, so I can remove them. Supposed to hit 70 degrees on Wed. so shooting epoxy sealer then.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Thought I'd fit my respirator with a QD fitting, and plug it into my air compressor Mario! :) Not sure where I'd find a positive air supply mask? It certainly would be nice though!
I actually had considered modifying one of my Gerson cartridge respirators. They have the outlet in between the canisters, and I had the crazy thought that I might remove that, and epoxy in a air line.
My Gerson says it's 95% effective against oil based organic vapors like my acrylic paint.

My electrical connectors arrived in the mail today, so tomorrow I can cut and splice the wiring to headlights and turn signals, so I can remove them. Supposed to hit 70 degrees on Wed. so shooting epoxy sealer then.
You need an exit area to push air out as you breathe and exhale. CEPAP is perfect. I wish you were close enough cause I would give you one. Hose is about 4ft long and you could clamp a pipe fitting on it. I use the pic posted. The link is another version covering the eyes.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,294
I think I could see that hose length, and trying to haul a CPAP along as I painted as something that might end up bumping the paint job. Not sure I need something else to make an amateur painter further hindered. I do appreciate the info though Mario!

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I know it’s probably too late by now But this is what I used. And it works great. No reaction to urethane paint with this. I was fine.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,296
Yep, too late to get it and use it now. Supposed to be 70 degrees today, so I'm shooting my last coat of primer over the car once it warms up. Then I'll wait a week to let it gas out completely, and do a final sanding over the whole car before shooting color.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Yep, too late to get it and use it now. Supposed to be 70 degrees today, so I'm shooting my last coat of primer over the car once it warms up. Then I'll wait a week to let it gas out completely, and do a final sanding over the whole car before shooting color.
Hey Vall, some primers have a chemical bond time range or window to paint over. Like a sealer. Best bond is within curing time designated. Some used to be like 12 hrs. Meaning you won’t have to sand last seal coat and go right to paint. Sealers are important so you don’t get any gassing of body work And blister the paint. Look at the specs of your primer.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,298
I have both 2k primer for high build, and primer sealer. I will be shooting the primer sealer, which it says can be painted over within 24 hrs. But I didn't see anything on the instructions that said there was a maximum time before paint needed to be applied?
I suppose if I got really lucky I wont need to sand between primer and paint. But with my amateur ability to spray primer smoothly, I've never shot it yet that I didn't have to do some sanding before paint to ensure it wont show through the paint as rough. Of course I always try, but don't do it often enough to get that good at it. So I'll have put on a latex glove and go over the entire car feeling for spots that need sanding before I go forward with paint.
It also says in the instructions it can be sanded with 180-500 grit after 2 hrs. of air drying at temps specified. So appears there's not a problem with sanding if I do need to do some?
I went to Speedkote's web site to download instructions, since the label is a bit lacking. But it only covers minimum drying times, not maximum. In talking with my buddy's son he suggested I give time for the primer to gas out. He added that at the shop they rarely wait more than 24 hrs., and I asked if there was a maximum time, and he said waiting too long wasn't an issue if it stayed indoors. He added that he'd never wait weeks to paint, but a week wasn't an issues he'd encountered when they had to push a car aside due to some delay.
I just hope we get another decent day to do the paint soon! Long range forecast shows mostly low 60's, which is concerning to me as not sure if we'll get another day like today for some time!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Keep in mind that when you are using most of these paint products that the instructions are for production type work...witch is fast pace...so the times they give are for minimums only,,,as long as oils and residues are kept off the product there is no maxim...to a recoat .....unless it is clearly specified...and even then many times if left longer than what is specified they will state may be re-coated after a week of first coating with some prep work that will be needed...weather is eveything when it comes to home painting

1281 - 1300 of 1326 Posts