Gasser HotRods banner

1241 - 1260 of 1261 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Yea I read the earlier post..just razz'in ya...kind of tough to drill holes in them beauties...if you have a problem doing the holes ...I know a guy who knows a guy that can do it for you....lol

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,242
Thanks Lash! I think after nearly 40 years of drilling holes as an electrician I'll try to muddle through drilling them. I'm going to keep the PCV hole back towards the rear on driver's side to shorten the hose length, and see it less. But on passenger side I'll keep the breather up front to make adding oil easier, and be further from the PCV valve also.

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,243
Been too cold in the shop to do much, but I couldn't stand sitting around today, so went out for a few hours.
Got my holes drilled in the valve covers for breather and PCV, and of course my big step bit was just a little too small once I drilled them. Had to get out the big half round rasp to finish the holes off. Got them mounted up, and checked and adjusted the valves before putting them on.
Then I removed my battery disconnect switch. It went bad on me weeks ago, and I just moved the cables together, and left it. Got the replcement finally, and put it on. Then hit the Duraglass I spread over my two front patch panels for the bumper bracket cutouts I welded in. Just knocked off the top, and they'll get a skim coat of filler to finish them.
Even with my insulated Carhardts 38 degrees was too chilly, so fired it up to warm it up, and then headed inside for a hot shower to warm me up too!

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,244
After installing the longer shackles the other day, I noticed my shocks were actually almost topped out. Didn't want rebound to damage them internally, so I planned to raise the lower mounting points on the axle end. Got to looking at my brackets I built and discovered I could get about 1.5" extra by flipping them side to side, which turned them upside down also. Just a small relief cut on a non structural area allowed it to lay flat on the opposite side and gain the extra length needed.
My new trans dipstick tube came to eliminate the ugly van dipstick tube I had. So installed that also. Easy to install, but wrestling the old one out was a chore.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
To paraphrase

that hillbilly from 'Deliverance', You sure got a purdy motor boy. LMAO :rolleyes:!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Does look great Vall.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Yup nice and clean and no brunt blued headers...I am liking that air cleaner too...what did you do for a valve cover baffle???

·
Registered
654 Posts
I hope mine turns out that nice and clean!

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,249
I used baffled grommets! Mr Gasket sells a grommet that's got a closed end with an overlapping slit to allow them to breath, but keep from sucking oil. And of course I drilled my holes between rockers to avoid a rocker arm from flinging oil at the breather or PCV valve also.
I cut a second slit at 90 degrees to the factory slit on the breather, as I figured adding oil would be nearly impossible without removing the grommet. So now it allows me to push a funnel through the grommet to open it, and then when removed the end closes.

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,250
Weatherman blew it today, and instead of cold, heavy rains, we got 60 degrees, windy, and warm, with almost no rain until a few minutes ago. So decided it was warm enough to spread some filler, and got my bumper fillers mudded in and sanded.

Then moved on to the Austin seats.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Fillers look great Vall. Really coming together.

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,252
Fillers look great Vall. Really coming together.
Thanks Mario!

Was out today to finally install the line lock I bought maybe a year ago? Not sure why I didn't put it in when I plumbed the brakes, but I didn't. And of course I didn't run the wiring under the carpet before gluing it down either!
So after fishing wiring from the shifter to the firewall, and fighting to get it pulled in, I began taking the plumbing apart to reroute it to the solenoid. Got all the fittings yesterday at Autoboneheads. Surprised after who knows how many years buying things from them, the kid at the counter sees my USAF cap and asks if I served? I tell him yes, and he says if I have ID they give 10% off everything! So I showed my ID and saved a couple bucks. Then I thought how much I could have said if any other counter moron had asked the same question when I wore the same cap?
Any way, I got the solenoid located, bent and flared lines, and mounted it all up. Then pushed the wires through a grommet, and wired up the switch, pilot light, and tested to see if it clicked. After that I was cold and tired, so save bleeding the brakes for another day.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Good job Vall. Gives me incentive to put mine in early in the build. About the veteran benefits, I always ask, worst they can say is no. You would be surprised at how many businesses have the VA discount.

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,254
I swear to God I'm getting senile! After taking my brake lines apart and replumbing them to install the line lock, I got back today to just bleed the brakes. I'm gathering my vacuum pump, and tools, and laying things on the front fender. I suddenly look down and it hits me that I plumbed the line lock into the line going to my proportional valve! The same prop valve that goes to the REAR BRAKES! What an idiot!
So had to remove all the plumbed lines, repipe the line to the proportional valve, then take the front line off, and make up new lines to plumb the line lock back into the front brakes. Of course the only parts I could reuse were the fittings, as none of the lines were correct anymore. Had one line I could shorten and rebend, and swap one end fitting, but otherwise it all had to be redone.
So after several hours of work and $8 worth of new line, I finally got back to bleeding the system, and finished. Sometimes I wonder how my mind works to end up piping a line lock into the rear brakes? Or I guess it just wasn't working. At least I didn't have to bleed it twice, or figure it out when I tried to use it!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
That sounds like something I would do. Lol. At least you finished your project. Way to go on the recovery.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I guess

I'm in good company in the senile line then. Last month I wanted to replace 2 studs on a hub adaptor that I had cross threaded and was also going to replace some short studs with longer ones in a pair of wheel adaptors. I have all the parts in front of me, have pressed out all of the hub studs, put the first adaptor on the press when I realized I had removed all the studs from the wrong parts. I had meant to press out the studs from the adaptors not the hubs. I only had the hubs off because they were riveted (I had finished removing the rivets) to the brake drums and I was changing drums. What a dummy.................:mad:

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,257
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one that does stuff like this. Still irritating to cause myself extra work that was unnecessary.
Waiting on AN fittings to add a pressure regulator after my mechanical fuel pump. I think my pump puts out enough pressure it might be more than the 4-5 psi I want. So adding a Holley regulator and gauge so I can make sure it's within the correct range. At least I've only got one hose to cut and splice in, so no chance of getting the wrong one!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Lets see.. I have never made two right hand brackets when AI need a left and right...never cut a bracket or piece of metal to short after measuring twice...never drilled a hole in the wrong spot...and that bucket full of mistakes in the corner of the shop well that is just reserve metal pieces...I am headed to hell if I am lying.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Vall that upholstery diamond pattern on the door panels and seats R BITCHINNNNNNNNNNN. just catching up on some reading.

1241 - 1260 of 1261 Posts