Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i am new to the forum as far as posting a ques but have viewed alot in past builds but this project confuses me a little bit.My son and i are attempting a 1937 plymouth gasser and im struggling with the front axle.Ive searched alot online for info.but.found alot of conflicting opinions,i did however figure out that the disc conversion was.quite simple a metric gm hub is the same bearings and i only had to machine a spacer but my ques now is i would like to get the front up at least 4 more inches,is it easiest with spacer blocks? Different springs? And will any of this if not all affect handling or any other aspect of front end geometry? Any info or opinions would b greatly appreciated thx

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I worry big time about the spacer blocks. I know many use them but I just worry about them breaking something. I think you would be better off if you re-arc the springs, if, they can be arced that much???

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the thoughts i had a 40 willys gasser years ago and the guy that built it just lengthened the shackles, but i never got th car done enough to actually put any miles on it to know if it was road worthy before i made the stupid decision to get rid of it,from that day ive been tryn everything to replace it with no luck!

·
Registered
921 Posts
A lot of gasser pictures I've seen on line show spacer blocks between the frame and the spring mounts to get them higher. I wouldn't use blocks between the axle and springs.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi ratt, my 38 Plymouth had already had the frame messed with when I got it. I had to go back to straight axle. But it is a Econoline axle so not much help, sorry. I do have some spare coupe parts laying around if you have anything you might need for yours. I have noticed several tri 5 cars with spacer blocks lately in the magazines. Don't know if they work well or not. I think Gary's comment about the blocks between the frame and axle mount sounds safer.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Welcome Aboard Ratt71 ! ! I would definitely agree with Mark, Gary , and Mike.... No spacers below the spring to the axle, wether solid or tube. It acts like an extension or breaker bar and amplifies twisting and flex to your leaf spring causing fatege. Your best bet is to rearch the spring if possible. Adding spacers to the frame is so much safer, when properly welded, they become part of the frame.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Probably the easiest, cheapest way is rearched springs, but they will usually stiffen things up a bit too. I think the best way is to build in some boxed mounting points on the frame to get it where you want it. My buddy is building a '35 Plymouth gasser, but with BBC power he felt the stock axle might be too wimpy, so replaced it with a Speedway. I think the stock looks pretty strong, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it once I went through it and checked/replaced kingpins, etc. Check those springs too, as they can work harden and have cracks. I've taken some old spring packs apart to paint, and found broken springs that I never saw when they were in the pack.

Welcome to the gasser forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again thx for the help and the welcome,as far as parts mike all i can think of right now is headlights. I grew up every weekend at Keystone raceway here in pa in the early 80s watching my Dad and his friends.And as luck would have it 2 of them had willys coupes and from that day on i loved gassers! I was finally fortunate enough in 1995 to buy one of those willys but til i got it there wasnt much left. Lack of knowledge,ability and no how caused me to get rid of it in 06 and im pretty sure it lives in ohio now.One of the dumbest things ive ever done! Now fast forward a few years and i now have kids of my own and with the fear of hearing fart pipes and rice rockets in the driveway i figured id start them young. my son just turned 4 in may and thx to his help and amazing imagination we built a 1935 international rat rod that became rd legal in july of this year and he loves it! So his passion for loud pipes and fast cars brought us to the gasser project. And maybe a slight speed fix for me to! We both agreed this 1 is getting done the right way and as cool as we can do with my budget! Sorry for rambling on its just nice to know that gassers still exist and people enjoy them as much as i have and hopefully my children will for years to come . A very big thx again from myself and my family for helping,and if i ever figure out how to post pics i will for those that care to see thks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi ratt, I have a drivers side headlight bucket. I think the 37 and 38 were a little different. I have seen so many diferent sizes for those years it isn't even funny. The base that bolts to the radiator shroud has a chunk missing out of it. But the bucket is in good condition. Let me know if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts