Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am dropping a 460 into my 69 Mach 1, I was thinking of just leaving the 351W badges and leave off any 429/460 badging so people do a double take when the hood is up. Then when "that guy" walks up who's uncles brothers cousin had the exact same car, different color and it was a chevy, I can tell him it's just a 351w and they will have no clue that it's a canted valve beast with over 100 cubes more.

It reminds me of a guy who had a Pontiac at the drag strip with the original 326 engine badges when he actually had a mildly built 455. He smoked a lot of unsuspecting cars in that thing.

Has anyone else mislabeled their cars on purpose just for the fun factor?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a 60 Falcon 2 dr dressed like a Sprint with 260 badges, it was a Shelbyized 289 271 hp with t10 and 4.57 gear great street racer. The best was when I put gold 427 thunderbird on the side of my 66 289 Hipo 4 speed 3.89 gear Mustang. Some guy pulled up next to me with a 67 or so 440 RT Dodge and his buddy says 427 my ass so we reved up and I smoked him to next light ( Mustang had a hell of a hole shot) and he wouldn't pull up next to me the guy riding with me laughed his ass off about it.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Kinda what I did with my '71 Camaro. It had the SS396 badges when I bought it, even though it was a 427. When I repainted it I removed all the SS396 badges, and changed the grille badge to just the SS badge, like the SBC version.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Has anyone else mislabeled their cars on purpose just for the fun factor?
Back when.... guys used to do it in "both" directions..... lessor motors with bigger engine emblems/flags..... and visa versa.

The most radical one I can remember was a friend of mine removed ALL the "YENKO SC" graphics & 427 emblems from his Camaro & installed 396 emblems on the front fenders. OUCH!!!!

If we only knew then what now know now!!!! Back then they were "just cars". Yenko Chevrolet was located nearby so we used to see plenty of them roaming the streets in the Pittsburgh area...... even during this time of year...... with snow tires ON!!!!! Hard to imagine but TRUE!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Had a friend in high school who's dad was wealthy and bought him a brand new Chevelle SS in 1965. 327 and 4 speed, and then later that year they offered the 396 SS version. He was really upset that he only had a 327 (poor rich kid) so he had his engine pulled and built up, then bought the 396 badging for his fenders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts