Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is a "rare" piece of drag racing history.

This '34 Ford coupe is owned by a friend of mine who built this "nitro burning" monster back in the '70's. When Pittsburgh International Dragway closed back in 1976 he sold the car.

Recently, he found the car on the West Coast.... Bought the car back & has it running again. The two previous owners never raced the car since it was sold.

Currently it is the ONLY AA/FC car being raced. The others (only a few of them remain) are "for SHOW only".

A few weeks ago I was asked if I wanted to be part of his "Pit Crew". Needless to say I am very excited for this opportunity to not only be around this "vintage drag car" but also to "learn" what it takes to race a car like this.

PLUS..... I "LOVE" the smell of "nitromethane" ...... :0)

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Wonderful car John! And cool that he's going to be running it again! Even if it's just occasional passes, it's good to know people are willing to do so for the entertainment of those who appreciate what that car is!

·
Registered
278 Posts
What a lucky guy to find his car again after so long. You would have to wonder how much it changed in somebody else 's hands after so long. I guess it has a Hemi now still ? Looks like it has a blue Lexan grill, I bet its a beast!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprisingly..... NOT one thing was changed after it was sold by the original owner/builder... Not one decal, the lettering or anything else. When he finally tracked it down on the west coast it was exactly like it was when it left Pittsburgh.

Since getting the nitro coupe back home he had the chassis update to meet current safety standards & went over the drivetrain, etc.

I have seen the coupe make a few passes as he continues to bring it back to "running like it should". Takes a LOT more to race this car compared to other vintage drag cars. Looking forward to seeing it run & participating at Cracklefests".

I will be sharing more info & pictures as I am able.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's so cool! What a history behind the car, and I would over whelmed to see my car again after so long. Especially a race car that you would expect to have been thrashed to death or cobbled up by some dummy. To find it just like you left it, is something to treasure. Wish I could hear it run.. What is it a 392? 426 ? 331 ? Or some other monster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts