Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building a chassis for this 34 Ford. Our plan is to do a drop axle, with a Jag rear, and body wise we are going fender less with a track T nose instead of the conventional 34 grill.
So I ordered 3, 11 gauge pickled 4x10 sheet mild sheet steel. That and new tooling for my nibbler so I could make clean effortless cuts.

Here they are cut out.

Now I cut a set of four, and then I cut a set of four rear halves.

Now if your wondering, I took the pattern of a frame I had for quite some time.

So I removed the pattern frame and installed the 11 gauge plates I cut out.

Now let me back up a bit, notice the step in the rear frame rails.

So I transferred that step in the rear rails.

So here comes the tricky part. The top and bottoms I had sheared at 1 7/8 inch wide and now I have to put a slight curve to match the side profile of the frame. I would have taken a pattern of them but it would have been difficult to cut such a narrow piece and stay on track.
So I decided to stretch the edges to match what I needed. I'm going to do this by lightly planishing the edge on my anvil.

Here you can see the planish/stretch are on the edge.

Now I keep going back to the frame plate in the jig to track my progress.

Once I got the fit I wanted, I tacked the top plates in place.

Here is the top and bottom tacked in place.

Now I got the rear rail outer plates in place.

This was a good time to get the inner plates shimmed in place.

After which I made four off set plates to join the rear frame to the front rails.

Here we put the top plates and tacked them in place.

Ok check back, I will post more later... :)

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Lash :) it was late and I was going photobucket blind :( so now this thread is just an up date to were the 34 is up till last month. So as of then i added some quick braces, just to get it off the jig and set the body on to make sure the new frame with it changes fits. So before that I ran some Tig welds down the perimeters and add some long tacks inside the rails on the bottom. Now the front from the cowl forward, is just flapping in the breeze, because I'm going to pinch them in to fit a new style grill that is quite a bit narrower than the facotory 34 grill. I won't be back on the 34 for a few week were as I'm in the 55 trunk trying to get most the sheet metal rapped up.

So here are the temporary braces I ran. Also notice I scribed a centerline with a speed wheel. I did this to the rear brace and the front. I will notch the edge of the angle iron on the centerline so I can snag a string to it and pull it where I want to check center.

Scribe line.

Quick note, see the ground in angle so I can start my weld nice and deep, and grind it flush.

As mentioned, I ran a short weld where the jig brace was because I wouldn't be able to get to it from the outside while in the jig.

Here I have the tops on the perimeters Tig welded.

Close up, not the pretty stack of dimes, but I'm going to metal finish, and the welds will be invisible.

So the frame is out of the jig, and the body went on with no issues, and the cowl landed on the mark I placed on the frame.

The chassis hugs the body nicely.

Again check back.... :cool:

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Gorgeous frame Steve! Am I correct in assuming the spacers stay inside the frame rails? Or do you pull them as you go along?

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vall, those are just temps to hold frame dimension. Once I get it to fit the, which it does, I will remove them one by one. So it will end up back on the frame jig so I can design the center crossmembers. So a little back and forth, before things come to light.... :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Steve , this is way cool. I wish I could be close enough to be there helping or watching whatever you would tolerate. :)
How cool would it be to do that frame up as a 41 willys gasser. How awesome would that be. I'll put my order in now and it should be paid in full as of 2035.
How does that work? LOL

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got some time in on the frame rails. Having centerline marks I used those to set the front rails, but not before I put another removable crossmember to hold it in place as I squared and then started to tack the top and bottom plates.

There was actually anther tube I had tacked in place which was 2X4 that was tacked to the 1X1 that are triangulated. But I got a little ahead of my pictures, and cut it out.

Today I headed to Lowes first thing in the morning, and picked up some materials to start making the front grill shell. I got some 4X4 sheets of 1/2 inch along with 2X4 and 2X2 sheets of oak. Bought a bunch of 90 degree brackets to screw them in and help stablize and keep things square.

I have quite a few more to add to my buck before it's ready to work off of. But this give us an idea what the grill shell will look like. :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Steve,
even your wood working is awesome. This is very interesting. Im still trying to figure this process out. Im a little slow. :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Oh wait a minute. Now I see it. The housing shell is laying down. Am I right? You have it laying horizontal for the construction and or the pictures. I hope I'm right. Lol

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Well I certainly got egg on my face on that interpretation.
Ok I'll be here if you need me. :)
That's what working and late nights with cleaning solvents does to me :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts