Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy sent me this link, it's got really good quality. When I went back to Ohio 2 years ago they ran the cars 1/8 mile (for the first time) supposedly to accommodate the cars that had come from the East Coast and weren't set up for the 1/4 mile even though, it was announced, the teams had been informed to set their cars up for 1/4 mile racing. It appears from this video that 1/8 mile for AA/GS is now the norm at Thompson Raceway.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sFJbpPlIJHQ?feature=player_detailpage

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vall,
It's a great destination for a bucket list. Growing up in So Cal the areas surrounding the drag strips were less than visually pleasing. When my cousin and I flew back to Ohio to attend our first Gasser Reunion what a mind blower. First, the drive to the strip is through lush green real estate. You get to the strip and there is a single, small building (not much bigger than an out house) with a really sweet older woman selling the tickets. She's been doing it for something like 40+ or more years. You can get really close to the cars (the first year we went you could get right next to them in the bleach box for video) but what I like the most was the over head pedestrian walk way that is right over the starting line. It's a really nice strip. IMHO I'm just disappointed that they've gone to 1/8 mile for the AA/GS cars; these guys are running gas for Christs sake, not fuel.
The other thing I highly recommend is a visit to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Museum. I thought we'd spend a few hours there but it was almost a whole day; lots of really cool stuff and killer videos and documentaries.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
The idea is growing more all the time towards 1/8 mile racing. Safety is a big part of it, but cost is too. Easier on the cars and equipment, plus even race fuel is running $8.50-$11.00 a gallon. I personally prefer 1/8 mile for my own cars, as they aren't wrung out so tightly at the end of the run. It probably speeds up the racing too, and gets more cars through in a day's racing.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Vall,
Believe me, as an ex racer I understand all the practical reasons but as a spectator I really like the 1/4 mile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts