Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have this issue? I just got rid of a check engine light and got the truck inspected at the dealer and now I have an air bag service light on. When does it end. I want my old truck back. 82 c20 bare bones not even AC. Well I need AC but I still want my old truck back.
Any suggestions about the air bag light? I saw a video on youtube and seems the impact sensors may be the culprit. but I don't have cash to buy 2 sensors just to buy them. Is there any way to test the sensors on the bench?
Please help , someone ........
mario

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Well my past experience is I don't mess with the sensors since I put one back on after having the frontend apart and as the truck sat in the parking lot we heard a loud pop ! ! And that cost me a steering wheel and a new sensor. Now this only ever happened once but that was enough. :)
I guess what I'm trying to say, I would have someone check it out, because the truck I repaired could of bein going down the road when that happened.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess if anything is done it has to be with battery disconnected.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if I disconnect the Battery I may be able to put a meter on the sensors to determine which one is bad. I know I'm looking for trouble though.
Mario

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Well I'm not sure how that would affect the sensor just by checking. Mine was removed and a dealer tech friend told me it may have bein damaged in the mild hit it took. But also said it's not unusual for them to be faulty. I'm wondering if just disconnecting the battery for a few and then reconnect, that may reset the code. If all the sensors are in good working condition.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a shot I'm willing to take. Just frustrates me that the dealer had the truck out of my sight for a while.
He knew I wasn't able to pay for any services other than the inspection.
Mm

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Mario, dont mess with the air bag itself even with the battery off, unless you are familiar with them. Whenever we called the fire dept for an accident, they would go crazy if the car had airbags that didnt deploy.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mario, dont mess with the air bag itself even with the battery off, unless you are familiar with them. Whenever we called the fire dept for an accident, they would go crazy if the car had airbags that didnt deploy.
I understand Mike,
I won't mess with the air bag itself. I want it working god forbid I need it to work some day. I just need to determine which sensor is the problem. Dorman products is saying that the sensors get rust around the mounting tube insert and bolt which expands and cracks the sensor. Thats why I wanted to try looking at them on the bench. Now if they aren't cracked I want to know how to test them for continuity with an ohm meter. I imagine they are open till impact but I haven't tried to check them yet. I did notice one of the bolts has surface rust on it. Its so cold out there that it is making it twice as hard to do this. The light doesn't bother me as much as not being able to read the odometer. They have to be kidding me. Service air bag is blocking my odometer. I still want my old truck back. LOL

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is what I found on the impact sensors. You notice he didn't disconnect any battery first. But he does say consult your shop manual for installation.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah LOL I needed that. :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also found this :
(I had the same problem with my 2003 chevy silverado the service the air bag light turned on so what i read was to move your passenger seat all the way forward and check all the connections and wires under the seat, that helped me out hope it helps you. )
coincidentally i did move my passenger seat forward last week when it snowed to take care of a flat tire. I needed to access compressor back there.
Maybe it will be simple like a loose plug.
Ok something to check before my wallet.
lol

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just found this info also:
(Same problem with my 03 Silverado. For those who don't know where the sensors are, thay are small rectangular boxes about 2" x 2" mounted just behind the bumber and next to the bumber mounts. Each sensor is mounted with 1 bolt each. They have yellow and whit labels on the front which in my case can be seen by looking through the slots in the front of the bumber. I was told to first remove both sensors behind the bumper and clean around the mounting bolt both on the truck frame as well as the sensor really good to make sure the sensors are grounding good when mounted. If the light is still on after cleaning both then one of the sensors is bad. I replaced one of the sensors a few years back but can't remember which one. I believe the error code will tell which sensor is bad. Sensor #1 is the drivers side bumper sensor and #2 is the passenger side bumper sensor. I had the problem diagnosed both times by freinds who have the equipment neccessary for these diagnostics. Both sensors are the same part number and I am in the process of trying to find this part as cheap as possible. The one I have already replaced a few years back I bought from a dealer and it was rediculously expensive. I think around $125.00 for a stupid little box. How do you know which side sensor is bad if you dont have the problem diagnosed? Since both sensors are the same, try replacing one side and if that doesn't turn off the light and DIC msg take the new sensor off, put the old sensor back on and replace the other side with the new sensor. If this helps or anyone wants additional info send me an email at [email protected] )

If it was warm out I could do this but 20 degrees out there and a cold wrench. NNNNAAAAAHHHHH I think I'll wait for a warm up. LOL

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you could get someone to pull the code it would help. you need a scan tool not a code reader. guessing gets expensive. just a little info behind driver side kick panel there are some grounds check them

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you could get someone to pull the code it would help. you need a scan tool not a code reader. guessing gets expensive. just a little info behind driver side kick panel there are some grounds check them
Ok will do. thanks for the info. today should warm up to around 49 so I might play with it for a while.
thanks
Mario

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took off the front impact sensors and I inspected the plastic housing and cleaned the metal contact surface along with the bolt. Sounds all good but no change. Light still blinks 6 or 7 times and then stays on.
Seems that a scanner for the correct code to fix is a must. I read it could be as mentioned below:

"The Airbag or SRS(supplemental restraint system) light comes on when the SRS control module detects a fault in the SRS system. There are literally dozens upon dozens of reasons, ranging from a short or open in SRS wiring harness, faulty airbag, faulty control module, or faulty seat belt pre-tensioner.

With the SRS light on, this means that the SRS system, including the airbags and seat belt re-tensioners may not function as intended, which can result in pre-deployment of airbags going down the road, or failure of airbags to deploy in event of accident, or seat belt tensioner failure in an accident.

In order to determine the cause of the problem, a diagnostic scanner with SRS capability MUST to be hooked up to the vehicle to read for stored SRS fault codes.

It will run about 1hr labor for the diagnostic charge to retreive the fault codes. Most independent shops have this capability today, and therefore doesnt require a trip to the dealership.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way to retreive the fault codes for the SRS/Airbag system without a diagnostic scanner with SRS/Airbag capabilities."

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I think I found the video that will fix my air bag

I can't stop laughing when I watch this. LOL

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
:mad:I started the week with a bad vibe from sunday to monday. 1st we had rain and found a leak on my ceiling coming from the roof on the second floor on sunday afternoon. Of course its the middle of the winter.
Then on monday :mad:I got a call from my wife that the hot water ran cold and I had to face that after work.
Got some roofing estimates very depressing.:(
:confused:So I went down to the oil fired water heater and she wouldn't fire up with the reset. My friend bobby told me he would come later and change the nozzle for me and see if that gets me going again. I never did this so I have been reliant on him for my burner services. He's a great burner mechanic. Then I saw an extra nozzle on my water heater sitting there. I thought to myself maybe youtube and I can do this nozzle swap. Sure enough there it was. So I changed the nozzle and she fired up.
1 down , 2 to go.
This morning I went up to the dormer roof on the second story and checked things out. I found the pvc 3"vent pipes had lost the rubber seal on the flanges to block any water from coming in. So I ran to home depot got some plastic flanges and sealed and tucked them under a few shingles and saved a bunch of money. enough to buy a new blower and then some.... don't tell my wife.....
2 down 1 to go:)
This afternoon being, I saved so much money, I went down to sears and picked up a scan tool that covers airbags. scanned my truck and it said front sensor #1 discard . Easy fix for me. just have to order one online and have it sent home.
Now that's how I like to end the year
3 outta 3:cool:

Have a great safe night and day off tomorrow
wish all of you the best in your future endeavours.
mario:)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The temp went up to 57 today. Rain on and off heavy at times so I nosed the truck in the garage again. I went under the truck and swapped out the left front impact sensor after disconnecting the battery first just in case.
While I was under there I spliced my transmission line with tube nuts and a number 6 union so I won't have that tranny line blow fluid out anymore.
So I hooked up the battery and turned the key on and presto chango the air bag light went out. Then just to make sure I started it up and watched it go out. I didn't have to clear the error out. The computer did it on its own.
So happy ending story for the silverado and for me. Now I just have to tackle the intermediate shaft on the steering column next. Stay tuned.LOL
Mario

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts