Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little off beat, but this is my buddy's Nova that I've been helping him build lately.
The engine is a full roller 350, bored .030", with Offenhouser tunnel ram. Headers are Tri 5 Chevy. Rear axle is a 3.73 posi, 8.8" Ford, trans is a T56 six speed, front axle is a Econoline that we converted to Aerostar rotors, and GM calipers, and rear is stock Explorer disc brakes. Hand built ladder bars. Hood isn't on it, but it's a fiberglass cowl induction cut for the tunnel ram and scoop to clear. It will be a lift off, as it's a lightweight. All the luxuries of power steering and power brakes too!
Stock interior, with bucket seats, and a 4 point roll bar. That's the original factory red paint! Not perfect, but pretty decent for 45 yr. old paint!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! It was a very simple build compared to my Austin or Falcon. Nothing needed to upgrade the frame, just fab up the straight axle mounts, a trans cross member, and a upper rear shock cross member. Pretty straight forward build as cars go.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Wow, what an eye catcher. I've always held a special place in my heart for the second gen Novas. Just something "right" about them. They make good gassers too. Nice work Vall.

MArk

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Yeah you guys did a great job on the nova. It looks just like the 1/24 scale models I remember back when I was a kid. Stance and headers and tunnel ram. Amazing job.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! We're kind of anxious to see how it will be received, being a late 60's car vs. the earlier cars we usually see as gassers. He's going to have a little rust repair at every wheelwell opening, as we can see some bubbles and holes in the old paint to indicate it. But he wants to drive it for a year or more before addressing any paint issues.
We moved the front axle forward almost 1.5" to center it in the wheelwell between the headers and the front edge of the opening. Amazing how it looks too far back when you fill the rear edge with a collector and don't move it a little. I also cut a new exit into the inside edge of the collectors, and routed a new collector down and back to route the exhaust system out the full length to the rear bumper. We reused most of the original exhaust system cut up, and reworked to make the new exhaust. Had to mount the mufflers vertically like I did on my Falcon to make room between the driveline and ladder bars.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey Vall, I like how the body is above the rear tires. How did you get the body lift up there? Is the axle under the springs?

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Vall, I like how the body is above the rear tires. How did you get the body lift up there? Is the axle under the springs?
No Dave, it's above the springs in it's stock location. It's got brand new re-arc springs, and slightly longer shackles. We actually had to lower the first shackles, as the springs made it higher in the rear. Originally we planned on radiusing the rear openings, but when we got it all mocked up, the stock front Econoline springs set it up high, so we raised the rear to follow. The big rear openings allowed a lot of tire without cutting the body. Those are 325-50-15 rears, and about 28" tall.

·
Registered
752 Posts
No Dave, it's above the springs in it's stock location. It's got brand new re-arc springs, and slightly longer shackles. We actually had to lower the first shackles, as the springs made it higher in the rear. Originally we planned on radiusing the rear openings, but when we got it all mocked up, the stock front Econoline springs set it up high, so we raised the rear to follow. The big rear openings allowed a lot of tire without cutting the body. Those are 325-50-15 rears, and about 28" tall.
Gotcha. I think I want to do the same with the 1950. I love the stance of them a little high.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the build thread. I can't wait to go for a ride!
Wont be long now Mike! I'm kinda letting him sort out the rest now, and just going over there to direct him so he gets the rest sorted himself. I'll have to do the wiring, as the original engine bay wiring was a mess and the car didn't run. I temporarily wired it to run and charge, but it will need a lot of rewiring to make it all work and look good to. Some of the previous owner's wiring was pretty funny! Loops in the wiring that went nowhere, and parallel wires going from and to the same place. The owner said he couldn't keep the battery charged and the main charging wire from the alternator went to an insulated terminal on the radiator support and stopped.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Long time since we've done anything to my neighbor's Nova, but we finally got some time today! He got a stock Chevy points distributor to replace the questionable Mallory dual point, so we dropped it in today, and checked spark. Looked great, but the stock distributor cap wouldn't quite clear the tunnel ram, so had to grind off a lot of material around the window to get a bit of clearance for setting the timing. After clearancing it, I dropped it in, and we gave it a shot of gas down the carb. It fired right off, and after a brief warm up, it ran like a Swiss watch! Man that engine is smooth, and revs nicely too!
Still have wiring issues, but I had wired in a 80a. relay, and an auxiliary fuse block the last time we messed with it, so began to wire up things like the wipers, line lock, and blower motor to the new fuse panel, and installed toggle switches to operate all three items. He needs to cut out all the junk wiring, clean the rest up, and reinstall the carpets, seats, and shifter. Then we can bleed the brake system, and it's ready for a test run!
He might even get it to one of the local cruises before the season ends, and see the reaction from the crowd there.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Congrats on the startup. That car and engine bay is awesome. It screams gasser.
Love it
Mario

1 - 20 of 36 Posts