Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im sure I can spend hours searching this forum and find bits of info here and there and piece my answers together but Im hoping to not have to do that cause I have work to do on my car and cant be in two places at once.

Thanks for understanding

Id like to put a straight axle under it too get that gasser look, Id rather not buy some B.S kit from speedway but also not spend stupid money and months searching for all the right parts. Ive searched local scrapyards for an econoline van and cause of cash for klunkers nothing cool is there.

Id rather keep my stock steering box and location and Id rather stick with Ford parts.

Is this possible and how?

Thanks, I can post some pictures of the car if anyone is interested and I do plan to check more out on this forum after Im done for the day

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Speedway axle unless you want an I beam. Then good luck with that. Didn't say what part of the country you're from. Also A BIG difference in parts availability.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Sure, post some pics of your project. You might want to start a new project thread. That's where we all start. You can ask all the questions you want. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I agree. This would be a good idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with a Speedway axle unless you want an I beam. Then good luck with that. Didn't say what part of the country you're from. Also A BIG difference in parts availability.
I was under the impression that the speedway axle was thin walled and wouldnt hold up under a heavy landing. Ive read this a few times in various posts online. Im in Florida, Plant City, I have a small bodyshop that Im trying to keep going.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, post some pics of your project. You might want to start a new project thread. That's where we all start. You can ask all the questions you want. Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the welcome, its actually a project I am close to finishing, every month I say it will be done, so far no luck, engine is close to going back in, Ive saved that for last.

Here are a couple of pictures, its a bit further ahead now, interior is nearly done, I do all the work myself, dont farm out anything I dont have too.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really I know my questions in my first post were pretty general I guess but not sure how else to put it, Im guessing alot of people would be scared to comment cause they havent done a 67 Falcon themselves and I understand. Ill call Speedway tomm I guess and learn the hard way like everyone else. Thanks

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, its actually a project I am close to finishing, every month I say it will be done, so far no luck, engine is close to going back in, Ive saved that for last.

Here are a couple of pictures, its a bit further ahead now, interior is nearly done, I do all the work myself, dont farm out anything I dont have too.
Love the falcon. Nice project. You can post pics on a project thread and just give us a brief description as to what stage you were at. Lots of members gain from your ideas. Im posting a project already finished just because I was asked to. So don't hesitate, we love the pics. I have a speedway style axle I bought from MAS Racing years ago with chevy spindles cause I had chevy disc and rotor adapter plates. All the GM camaro stuff fit on the spindles.
Vall has a lot of experience with his falcon setup. He may offer some suggestions for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One big thing that concerns me with the speedway set-up is the spring length, Im a bodyman not a mechanic so Im learning always but seems to me after seeing the spedway springs this weekend at a daytona show that they are stupid short, more suited for a trailer, Im guessing that Id be better off having a longer spring ( assuming the kit speedway offers only offers a standard length spring ) so that I can improve driveability.

I understand that its gonna kinda drive like shit no matter what I do ( when compared to the original ride ) but Im also guessing that there are some things I can do to improve things a bit?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Love the falcon. Nice project. You can post pics on a project thread and just give us a brief description as to what stage you were at. Lots of members gain from your ideas. Im posting a project already finished just because I was asked to. So don't hesitate, we love the pics. I have a speedway style axle I bought from MAS Racing years ago with chevy spindles cause I had chevy disc and rotor adapter plates. All the GM camaro stuff fit on the spindles.
Vall has a lot of experience with his falcon setup. He may offer some suggestions for you.
The car was a rotten SOB when I got it, I got it in a trade and only took it cause it had a nasty motor, parts basically unavailable, had to buy a rusty parts car with less rusty parts, ended up changing both qtrs, inner and outer rear W-houses, rear body panel, L rear rail, most of the trunk floor, all the floorpans, rad support, both front fenders and repairing the doors, surprisingly the rockers and around the windows/roof were almost as solid as day one.

Building it to promote my small business, give me the chance to talk with others, show them my work. Not a daily driver but if I want to drive it I will sorta thing, I have a few other projects, Im a Mopar guy and just want this thing done at this point.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
One big thing that concerns me with the speedway set-up is the spring length, Im a bodyman not a mechanic so Im learning always but seems to me after seeing the spedway springs this weekend at a daytona show that they are stupid short, more suited for a trailer, Im guessing that Id be better off having a longer spring ( assuming the kit speedway offers only offers a standard length spring ) so that I can improve driveability.

I understand that its gonna kinda drive like shit no matter what I do ( when compared to the original ride ) but Im also guessing that there are some things I can do to improve things a bit?
youre 100% right. they are short. If your suspension mount up can offer you the longer springs definitely do it. Take some measurements and see what length you can use. I used CJ jeep springs which were around 39 inches. they gave me so much height that the axle i used had to have a 3 inch drop instead of straight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Those do look nice.

Ive been collecting what info I could off the net and I have a question: This is a nice site dedicated to guys restoring and building straight axle cars as far as I can tell but why is there no sticky somewhere that covers the dos and dont of straight axle installation?

They get such a bad rap cause the installation isnt completely straight forward and yet from what Ive gathered ( and what I know from years of repairing cars ) when it comes down to it the basics are the basics no matter type of vehicle your working on, it just dosent change and yet unless I missed it I dont see any one place where a guy could go and just get a clear synopsis of the axle install, all Ive seen are posts scattered here and there with bits of info.

Not to sound like a jerk but is it some guarded secret that requires the secret handshake?

Makes no sense, if you enjoy the cars and you wish to promote them and their use wouldnt you want to make it super easy for people to get that knowledge? Lets face it majority of people these days are lazy SOBs that want instant gratification and thats not gonna change no matter how much some people just think its not fair.

Maybe I just missed that magical thread, I did spend some time last night on this forum doing a search and did not find it.

Anyway, thanks, there is some good interesting opinions/facts to be found here, I will get this if I choose to go this route and it will drive straight and still corner as what should be expected from this type of set-up.

Ive owned a few ( and still do ) cars from the late 20s, I know what to expect and it aint god awful if done right IE square

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
No its not a big secret.
I'm, for one, not an authority on straight axles, but I built mine with advice and my own knowledge using common sense. Every car is different. There are guys here who do things different from everyone else. Safety first. I wouldn't want someone using my method and getting hurt somehow because my way has flaws. Most project threads have the front suspension in there somewhere. My car as a 35 already had an ibeam axle from the factory so I kinda replicated the setup with a tubular drop axle, slightly longer springs and speedway steering arms using a morrison chromoly 1" tie rod and 3/4 to 5/8 rod ends. My caster was just over 6 degrees negative. I had a severe death wobble with the small 5/8 tie rod. Had to move it up with something stronger and thats why I went to morrison. Plus Art recommended a steering dampener to remove the death wobble. So you see it was a step by step trouble shooting process that couldn't be forecasted till it was set up.
I set up another car and had a death wobble as well. but my past experience got me through. Just start a project thread and when you get stuck others will jump in and give you some direction.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No its not a big secret.
I'm, for one, not an authority on straight axles, but I built mine with advice and my own knowledge using common sense. Every car is different. There are guys here who do things different from everyone else. Safety first. I wouldn't want someone using my method and getting hurt somehow because my way has flaws. Most project threads have the front suspension in there somewhere. My car as a 35 already had an ibeam axle from the factory so I kinda replicated the setup with a tubular drop axle, slightly longer springs and speedway steering arms using a morrison chromoly 1" tie rod and 3/4 to 5/8 rod ends. My caster was just over 6 degrees negative. I had a severe death wobble with the small 5/8 tie rod. Had to move it up with something stronger and thats why I went to morrison. Plus Art recommended a steering dampener to remove the death wobble. So you see it was a step by step trouble shooting process that couldn't be forecasted till it was set up.
I set up another car and had a death wobble as well. but my past experience got me through. Just start a project thread and when you get stuck others will jump in and give you some direction.
I gottafigure out where you mean to start a thread

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
I replied to your new thread in the project section, but will add a couple things here. The Speedway axle gets a bad rap from people on forums, and a lot of myths have come up on it. If you can find a donor straight axle that's the right width, you'll save over the Speedway kit. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Speedway kit, or the spring length. Those short springs are actually a very good length, and will avoid clearance issues found in trying to use longer springs.
The thin tube myth is also wrong. Since I put a Speedway axle kit into my extremely narrow Austin gasser back when they didn't custom build widths, I had to narrow mine. I cut the tube to narrow it and found the tube walls were about 7/16" thick, which is thicker than almost any other axle I've ever seen specs on.
An option on an I beam donor axle is to narrow it. It takes a very good welder to do this work, so I'd consider doing the Z cuts on the I beam, but I'd take one to a welder I know whose certified for doing the final welds after I tacked it together. I do all the other welding, but I don't trust my small Miller 140 or myself to get the best welds for something this critical. An Econoline axle would be perfect for the Falcon, and they're cheap. Easy to find parts to rebuild with new drum brakes, and very easy and cheap to swap to disc brakes. But it would need about 4"-5" removed and narrowed to fit your car. That's done with a Z cut, vs. cutting straight through like a tube axle. So it gives a strong repair with more weld surface.

You may be able to use the stock steering box, but that really depends on the axle installation, pan clearance, and whether you can keep the drag link angle level when it's hooked to the pitman arm. Those are things you'll need to look at as you go, but don't rule anything out or in this early.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Vall is definitely a walking encyclopedia when it comes to front ends. You asked about photos and a step by step how to with photos. For a "how to" tech article go to Google and type "super Chevy going gasser" it's a good article with lots of photos and info.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
There are some things that have to be done a certain way on every straight axle install. But there are no standard set of rules that would apply to every installation. It's certainly not a big secret, but things like kingpin angle, and toe in are almost always the same. But even they vary slightly.
Kingpin angle is generally accepted to be good at 7 degrees. That's been the accepted angle forever, but a little less or more by 1-3 degrees might work better on some cars. Longer wheelbase cars can get away with 5 or 6 degrees, and short wheelbase cars do better with a bit more. My 89" wheelbase Austin has 10 degrees and it helps it go straight if things get squirrelly! But my falcon's longer 110" is at 6 degrees and goes straight, and handle good.
Same for toe in. Generally toe in is 1/8"-1/4", and I always like going closer to 1/4" as it helps eliminate death wobble. I know guys who use the smaller 1/8" and their cars are fine.
Tie rod diameter is a big deal I think, and especially on longer tie rods! Mario's mention of going to a larger diameter to eliminate death wobble is so true! Many axle suppliers use the smaller diameter tube for looks or savings. But I prefer to go beefier if the tie rod is longer than about 36". That means for anything but small cars it should be a 1.25" OD tubing used to build the tie rod. My Austin is tiny, and the small OD tie rod works fine. But I built a big beefy one for my Falcon and it's much better.
I suppose we could have a section that dealt strictly with how to generally install a straight axle. But we'd miss reading all the great project posts, and still end up with questions for most of a person's new install.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Very well written. Ditto on that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vall is definitely a walking encyclopedia when it comes to front ends. You asked about photos and a step by step how to with photos. For a "how to" tech article go to Google and type "super Chevy going gasser" it's a good article with lots of photos and info.
Thanks very much I will check that out

1 - 20 of 43 Posts