Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's not a gasser but you guys (and possibly gals) have shown and interest and likeing to my car so thought I'd quit posting in the newbie section and start a build thread. I drove this car in high school as a part of our automotive class. It was a great program and one of a kind. The car was donated to the school in 1984 ish and they got it on the track around 1987-1988. The students worked on the car and drove the car. except a few races reserved for the teacher. We ran our class like a regular shop to earn money to go racing in the summer, plus picked up sponsorships to help. In 1998 The Colorado high school athletic sanctioning body ( whoever that may be) approved the program my teacher put in place as and actual athletic sport. I was the first student ever and possibly the first in the nation to recieve a athletic letter for drag racing. I also lettered my senior year of high shcool in racing also. The shop teacher retired and sold the car in 2004 to another student who raced it for a couple of seasons after that before deciding to change the body/paint scheme..... well part way through life happened I suppose and I just happened to see his ad on Craigslist and here I am a year later with the car

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Welcome Even though a '66 Chevelle is not typical gasser material ..... I have seen MANY AWESOME gasser-styled Chevelles.

The 1st generation chevelles were often influenced by the gas class cars.... both drag strip and street versions.

Many of the early to late '60's street driven cars sported the "raised gasser look" suspensions. Some with straight front axle others by replacing the coil springs, spacers, etc....

Either way Chevelles played a BIG PART in the street/strip scene "back in the golden days" of drag racing & street cruising.

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans & seeing pictures.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..... That there is one of my goals with this car.... To have a photo with a pin up girl by my car!!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
That looks just like the '67 Chevelle SS I had in 1971, except I had Torque Thrusts on mine.

There is a Chevelle "EXACTLY" like this one that shows up at practically every Friday night cruise during the cruise season. Right down to the "283 flags" on the front fenders. Somehow the owner gets the "SAME EXACT" parking spot every week the car is there.

It has SBC with two 4's with a 4 speed. Front end lift using modified spindels & bigger springs on the rear.

I remember another Chevelle like this back in the late 60's ..... with a nasty solid lifter cam 427.... had 396 badges still on it.... only difference it had Foresight Venture Indy Drag Mags all the way around.... one of my favorite style of wheels.... no longer being made.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Lookin' forward to seeing some pics of your '66. The early Chevelles hold a very special place in my heart.

Thanks for the '67 pic John. It brings back so many fond memories. I also had a '67 Malibu.....327 +.060, 11.5:1 TRW's,Z-28 Optional off-road cam, Fuelie heads, Edelbrock tunnel-ram w/two 600 Holleys, 390 ten-bolt posi rear, N50-14's on 10" Cragars on the rear and D70-14's on 6" Cragars up front.....But it was Mid-night Blue..Deffinately my favorite..... of all the vehicles I ever owned...... Still can't believe I let her go! :(

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I'm not sure if I would have ever sold mine, but a guy turned left in front of me and made the choice for me! Totaled it out. But I bought it back for $200 and the engine and trans ended up in my '55 Chev gasser, after a rebuilld and a bit of performance pieces went in the motor! The '55 was wicked fast with that 283!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Everything about that Chevelle reflects the "time" & the "way" we were doing things back then.

For me.... that stance & look is "timeless". A true classic !!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
more pics

Few more pics for this thread.. The red paint scheme is what I am going to put the car back to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Great basis for a project. That is a great looking Chevelle. I'm going to enjoy your updates as you go along so don't forget about us. I'm glad you bought it here. Mark L

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys.... My plan is to have it look just like the picture of it when it was red in the photo above, only have the slots on it instead of the super tricks, it will have a smaller tire in the rear but not by much. The slicks in those photo's are 36"x17" wide.... the ones I think that are gonna do the trick now are 31"x18.5". I am going to go against the "gasser" look though lol and try to get a lower stance out of it. I was a little disheartened when I put 2" drop springs in the front and it came up 1/4" lol I found 2" drop spindles though for the front so that should help plus when the new springs settle out a bit. I'm planning on 10.80's ish on ethanol with not much more than a glide and trans brake cast iron heads........

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I havent been able to do much on the car lately.. between the cold an dother projects its at a halt for a few weeks. I did sell the old doors yesterday and picked up a good Steel 396 crank and closed chambered cast iron heads......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, that's still progress ! ! :D
Very True! Was very happy to sell those doors. I thought I was going to have to sit on them for along time...

So I took 2 steps backwards this weekend when working on the car. I wanted to adjust the ladder bars a little to move the rear tire back a little... and with all nuts/bolts that have been sitting for decades... the 2 heim joints twisted off in the ladder bars. So I got them drilled out and saved the ladder bars, now I just need to find some heim joint before the weekend so I can get the car back on the ground and start my other project next week...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.