Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a gasser for years and one of my favorites is the 55 Chevy however I ended buying one that has been in the family for years and its a hardtop so imo the hardtops don't look that good as gassers....
So my next car of choice was the 62/65 Nova but I'm sitting here thinking to myself
As I have a 65 Chevelle... Could I pull off the look and get the respect deserved by other gassers if i decide to straight axle my 65 Chevelle??
I just dont see many of them being done...if you have any pics of 65 Chevelles that are gassers
Will you please share
Thank you

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
A lot of the 55's were gassers, fewer 65's. I think personally, the 65 would be different. Parts are still fairly easy to obtain. You probably will not get hate mail from any gasser over your choice. However, the Chevy Muscle Machine boys may take a dim view of it. But we live on different here. And you wouldn't be looking to build a gasser if you weren't a bit that way also. So have at it, whatever makes you feel good!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of the 55's were gassers, fewer 65's. I think personally, the 65 would be different. Parts are still fairly easy to obtain. You probably will not get hate mail from any gasser over your choice. However, the Chevy Muscle Machine boys may take a dim view of it. But we live on different here. And you wouldn't be looking to build a gasser if you weren't a bit that way also. So have at it, whatever makes you feel good!
Thanks allot I appreciate the support

·
Registered
125 Posts
That will be a great project, I say start cutting. A guy I knew in the late 70's early 80's had a blue one with a 427 also. It was a grandma car when he bought it. He cut the rear wheel wells, installed a 12" with ladder bars, added a strong 427 with a 1150 cfm Holley, fender well headers and a super high stall with a TH400. He left the interior bone stock. That car ran low 11's at Famoso which I thought was great. That was one of my favorite cars in the day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds awesome

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I personally think any Chevelle up through 1967 makes a great base for a gasser. But the '64-'65 are the best of them, just because of their cool box shape. I'd love to see more of them done myself!
Whereabouts in Oregon are you? I'm in Portland.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I say YES! Could be a really cool project. Especially along the lines of what ol blue posted there. Altered wheelbase and judging from the carbs in the pic a pretty good engine setback. Start cutting! My brother had a 65 Chevelle when we were younger, a real cool car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am in Salem......I need to get up that way to check out cars. Born and raised in this town and It would be nice to see different rides.. What kinda activity you guys have up there?

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I am in Salem......I need to get up that way to check out cars. Born and raised in this town and It would be nice to see different rides.. What kinda activity you guys have up there?
Not much right now, but in May the fun begins! Portland Transmission starts off with a free street car show all around their shop on 10th and Hawthorne. Good weather brings 700+ cars to this show, and they feed us coffee and cookies at sign in, and a big lunch, all free!
June begins the drag season, and Beaches Wed. night cruises at PIR. We get a few hundred cars on a cloudy Wed., and over 1500 on a sunny Wed. Gates open at 3:00 pm, and goes until after dark. $5 gets your car and two people in, and the drags are free with entry. After the 1st of June there are shows just about every weekend.
Check out NW Cruise News, or PDX Car Culture online, for event calendars.
We've been saying the same thing as you! Need to head down South, and see some different cars, and shows!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts