Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Okay, You've seen the paint scheme. What should I name it?

• "Utter Madness"..Also a good name

Votes: 0 0.0%

1962 Plymouth Belvedere "Jackpot"

58K views 247 replies 27 participants last post by  Road Angels 
Let me start by saying that is so cool!........ Fortunately the crowd here is very open to what most of us are trying to do...... I love that there's a renewed interest in the old gasssers, and I hope it continues to grow......
Well said.....
NO KNOTS in anyone's panties here!!!!

Sadly, there are "gasser" purists just like with other things everywhere. There are even some hot rodders that do not want repro parts or custom wheels (like Rocket ten spokes) used. Even though these parts, wheels, etc are almost identical they are not acceptable in some circles. If you show-up at one of the events sponsored by certain groups you cannot run or show the car.

Having a 100% survivor is awesome BUT like Val already mentioned "there's not enough of them.... so we have no choice than to build...."

LIKE THIS....

That's a perfect example of thinking outside the box.... just used something more available.
The G-Body Chevys (Maibu & El Caminos) are being referred to as "today's shoebox" for the same reasons as the 55-56 Chevys back in the day. There are plenty of them, can be purchased reasonably, have a full frame with great rear suspension, etc.... make great looking cruisers, drag & "gassers-styled" cars.

The car I "traded" for the Opel was a G-Body El Camino that I was building "gasser-style".

Notice how these connectors pass up through the floorpan so they can connect to the center of the rear frame member
Very nice.... I plan to do something similar.

Even though my car is setup with an OK-for-now ladder bar rear suspension it is lacking in "how" it was done. With the "mild 350" that is in it now the rear suspension is plenty strong...... at least for now.

With plans for a "500hp killer small block" on the list I plan to add 2x3 frame rails (Competition Engineering) I picked up @ a swap meet last Fall.

Even with all the changes that have been made over the years (sub frames, cross members, gussets, brackets, etc) the uni-body is still an integral part of both the rear & front suspensions. In time ALL that will be changed. It's not like I can't use what's there to make most of the changes I want to do (9" ford - move rear leaf springs inward - straight front axle - tilt front end)

Been missing your posts..... Glad to hear ALL is well with you and your family. Nothing can compare with the birth of a child..... God's gift.

I have a quick release on the Opel.... nice having it..... plus nice car cruise/show topic for conversation. I am on the look out for another quick release wheel hub. I have a red metalflake steering wheel (15") but also the much smaller race-size red metalflake wheel that would be cool to switch-out for shows or at the drag strip.

Even though it's way down on the "to-do-list" I also am thinking about adding a "swing-out-bar" ..... as you can see the door opening on the roll cage has an "X-brace" across it. I will still be able to modify the "top part" which will give us some extra room to get in & out.

Mike, I was having a bit of trouble figuring out the signature picture as well, but you inspired me...Especially since it's a Mopar thing.

Now that's a Mopar signature that will never wash off.....

Craig, nice progress I went back to page 1 and revisited all the work you have done so far. I have always liked the Mopars of the early-mid sixties.

Amazed at the all the things that have changed with your built & also the change in my plans going from our Kadett, then the addition of the tube chassis & finally finding the Opel GT body & getting rid of the Kadett body.

At times I feel like I am going backwards. Especially when I seen ALL of the quality work you & others have accomplished. But all & all I am OK with all of the unexpected changes thinking I was meant to go backwards in order to go beyond my wildest dreams of ever having a "nostalgia drag car".

I do look forward to getting to where you are now.

Good luck with you move. Can't imagine ever moving all of our stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.