Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Okay, You've seen the paint scheme. What should I name it?

• "Utter Madness"..Also a good name

Votes: 0 0.0%

1962 Plymouth Belvedere "Jackpot"

58K views 247 replies 27 participants last post by  Road Angels 
Let me start by saying that is so cool! I think there are guys who either were there in the 60's, or for some reason become far too hung up with the terminology, and get their panties in a knot whenever they see the term gasser used on any car that wasn't run in the gas class back in the 60's.
Fortunately the crowd here is very open to what most of us are trying to do, so I haven't seen anyone correcting folks when they use the term gasser for their latest build. It's really nice to see a survivor, but there's just not enough of them around for all of us fans, so we have no other choice than to build if we love this style car. I was around as a teenager in the 60's, and I've owned a few straight axle cars, and ran some of them at local strips. Never anything serious, so I could never be competitive back then, but I had a lot of fun. Here we are over 45 years later, and still building what made me smile back then, and having even more fun with them today!
I love that there's a renewed interest in the old gasssers, and I hope it continues to grow and get to the point that NHRA opens their eyes and puts the gas classes back into their lineup. If they don't that's OK, because we'll still build them and enjoy them either way!

That's a perfect example of thinking outside the box John! Many people would never think of doing a later Malibu, but it looks like somebody made a gasser style car and just used something more available.

Building a car lucky enough to have repopped parts available for is really nice! Sure makes it easier and often less expensive when someone decides there enough demand to build them! I recently finished the build of my '71 Camaro SS and it was nice to be able to order door panels, fenders, hood, etc. right on the phone, and not have to repair old stuff.
One of the drawbacks though is the fit on many sheetmetal pieces from repops. My interior door panels were great, but most the sheetmetal from OER was a lot of work to get it fitting correctly.

I'm really not that smart. My wife has always been the one who told me I'd be sorry if I sold it! Heck, I'd sell it today if she wasn't on the title and refusing to sign off if I sold it! :)

I've had some real brain fades too! I sold my 1940 Chev coupe, with 413 Mopar, 727 trans, and Dana rearend for a whopping $350 in 1972. Sold my gorgeous 1957 Chev Suburban Carryall, with 389 Pontiac, and TH400 for $375 in 1976. I could go on, but I'm starting to cry too! :(

Congratulations! My wife and I have all our's out and making babies themselves! We had two the hard way (naturally) and three more the easy way! (adopted) Kids are great, and grandkids are just a bit better! ;)
Looking forward to those updates!

Nice work on all of it, but especially like the driveshaft loop with the removeable lower section! I built mine to bolt in also, as it's a pain to drop the driveline if the loop gets in the way!

I contemplated a quick release wheel myself, as I just fit between the wheel and the door frame to enter the Austin. But I didn't want to lose the stock banjo wheel, and don't know of a quick release that would mount the stock style wheel. If anyone knows of one please speak up, as it would make a good winter project to add to the Austin!

I really do feel for you Craig, and I remember the pain well from the Falcon and the Austin. The Austin was actually much better, and took almost nothing to get the inner roof clean. But the Falcon headliner was full of mouse nests, and the little varmints don't care about pissing and crapping where they sleep! I really considered building an elevated platform inside the car just to do the cleaning up there! I wire brushed mine with my battery drill, and had to wear one of those disposable bunny suits, and my respirator to avoid the stinking mess. Seems like about 60 seconds was all I could do, and then take a 60 second break. Stop and go until I got it all removed, and then painted the whole inner roof with brush and roller, using good old Rustoleum satin black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.