Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through my picture albums and realized I had a bunch of old pictures that one of the founders of the Santa Maria drag strip gave me.
There are a few pretty cool gassers,and alot of very cool shots of the 60's.
Here is one.

I loaded a bunch more into my album if any one wants to see them.
I do have more on my computer also.
Enjoy

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I did enjoy...... nice "back in the day" pics

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's right. Plans to build the Santa Maria Motorsports park have been in the works for a few years now. It could be a great facility for the area.
Here is a link to details about the facility.
http://www.santamariasun.com/sports-lead/5263/what-a-drag/
You are also correct about the BBQ. There is nothing like the good ol Santa Maria style BBQ. There used to be someone with a pit on just about every corner on the weekends. Good stuff.
Speaking of food, I belong to the local car club the "Bent Axles". Our show is the third weekend in July. Its three days of fun. starting with registration, strawberry shortcake and a cruise. Sat. is the show with tons of raffle gifts and more strawberry shortcake, a poker walk, and then sunday is a poker run, a big Santa Maria Style BBQ and more raffle gifts. As you may have noticed, food is a big part of this club. We often refer to ourselves a food club with a car disorder.;)

Here is a link to our new web site.

http://bentaxles.wix.com/bentaxles

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not that I have herd of recently. From what they tell me, the hoops to jump through are about endless, then there are EPA issues, zonning issues, property costs and local government hurdles.
There is also a drive to open a 1/8 mile strip in Lompoc. Hopefully one or both facilities will be up an running in my lifetime.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Those old drags were a lot of fun, and the social part of it was as fun as the racing! We used to pack up the camping gear and the car and head out Friday night. Spend the weekend thrashing on cars, and evenings BBQ and visit with friends. Great memories, and my wife and kids enjoyed the social part the most!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes Indeed, I spent alot of my time there for sure. I had just started high school in A.G. And was getting ready to build a 46 Willys Panel. So i took it the track, it was all stock with a four banger, filled tank with starting fluid, open the cut out i had made, and raced the VW's in X class, and Won. The last pass at the finish line, i blew that old four banger sky high. What fun days those were. Took it home and put in a 301 SBC out of Collyer and Knott's dual engine dragster. Muncie 4speed and a 12 bolt chevy posi. rear. Met alot of nice people back then, Toni Nancy, Tommy Ivo, Skip Gibbson to name a few. Then in later years, early 70's, i raced at the Speedway there and Atascadero before they closed. Fun times back then for sure....

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Sounds like great times. Wish I could have been there

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live right next door to Skips old house. His wife Virginia still lives there.
A few of our club members started that strip, I never get tired of listening to their stories.
Unfortunately, we lost one of the founders last year, Jerry Gaskill passed away. We are honoring him this year by putting his Black '36 Ford on our T-shirts for the show in July.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also found this Video about two years ago. I grew up in Arroyo Grande and had blown up the engine in my Willys and bought my first new car at Mel Smith Chevrolet, 65 El Camino. Im on here racing a guy in a 65 Comet Caliente. This is where i first met Tony Nancy and Tommy Ivo. The engine in my Willys was out of a dual engine dragster that Collyer and Knotts were running here. I had alot of fun here. Raced at Lion's and Erwindale lots too. Also in later years, early 70's, i raced my Super Modified at Santa Maria and Atascadero, those were fun time too. Thanks Brings back some good memories. Ted McClure
[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had met Skip thru a friend of mine who also raced a digger, Dean Shaw, they were good friends and both had Muffler shops, Skip in Santa Maria and Dean in Arroyo Grande. What fun times back then. Not sure if i ever met Skip's Wife.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, what cool stories! I never get tired of learning about our local hot rod history.
I would like to see that video you mentioned, but, that link goes to your e-mail address.
Thanks Ted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts