Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite old enough to recall the interiors that were typical in the gassers of the 59 model year. I recall the diamond tuft I think it was called. Could you guys shed some light on the interiors that were ran back then ?

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Diamond tuft and rolly pleated was real big in the 50's 60's and 70's. I'm not sure how many race cars did to much more of there seats and maybe door panels, were they were more concerned whit go fast and not pretty.
I don't think diamond and rolly pleate will ever go away because it is timeless in the right build..... :)

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
In the '59 rules gassers were required to have full interior, or the equivalent interior. As Steve said, not many gassers had custom, but the big boys like Stone Woods and Cook had some very high end interior in their Willys.
Here's a pic of their two tone rolled and pleated interior:

Rolled and pleated, button tuck, diamond tuck, were all popular back in the late 50's.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
In the '59 rules gassers were required to have full interior, or the equivalent interior. As Steve said, not many gassers had custom, but the big boys like Stone Woods and Cook had some very high end interior in their Willys.
Here's a pic of their two tone rolled and pleated interior:

Rolled and pleated, button tuck, diamond tuck, were all popular back in the late 50's.
Vall..... when I started reading this thread I thought of the SAME PICTURE you posted !!!!! Gasser-Guys of "like-mind"!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Prior to 1970, I think all drag cars looked like they could drive down the street with very few changes! I think that's what really drew me into them as a kid in the 50's. You could relate to a car that looked much like daily driven cars with full interior, but a really hot motor!
That's also what turns me off to most the Pro Stock and Funny Cars today. They don't resemble anything we see on the street.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Prior to 1970, I think all drag cars looked like they could drive down the street with very few changes! I think that's what really drew me into them as a kid in the 50's. You could relate to a car that looked much like daily driven cars with full interior, but a really hot motor!
That's also what turns me off to most the Pro Stock and Funny Cars today. They don't resemble anything we see on the street.
Well said Vall..... I agree totally!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vall you couldn't have said it any better about today's drag cars. Pro Stock is an absolute laughing stock of today's race cars as well as NASCAR racing. Oh well,that's what I dig about gassers I can look at one and know what I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I almost bought a '37 Terraplane gasser in 2000 from a friend (I'm an IDIOT foir not buying it but the company I was working for had been sold and all the employees were being laid off...) that had a period correct interior. Tuck-n-roll seats and door panels and paisley headliner. It was so cool... oh well.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I almost bought a '37 Terraplane gasser in 2000 from a friend (I'm an IDIOT foir not buying it but the company I was working for had been sold and all the employees were being laid off...) that had a period correct interior. Tuck-n-roll seats and door panels and paisley headliner. It was so cool... oh well.

Mike
It's rare that the stars all line up so those cars come up at a time when money is available, and everything works. Just seems to be the nature of our interests and funds for most car guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have given up trying to post photos...
my A has interior that has the look your after afterall it was built in 65-67 with some recent few changes....see featured article this march HotRodDelux.....

can someone let me email photos they can post for me?thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
THANKYOU.... shows my realdeal backintheday gasser built in65-66 to $treet race

built by rule book & what i was watching run at Lions dragstrip

photos show dash/seat/roofinsert/2x4carb cover/roll bar has been added to as rules required

we did interior in tony nancy style/how close did we come?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts