Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts

The above pic shows the rust holes in the roof, (both sides) I cut it out with a die grinder and cut a patch from 22ga sheet and Mig'd it in. Boy was I nervous! first time I had ever tried this!

First time for everything, my first patch Mig welded in to repair roof rust holes

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Finally! I got some pictures to load using photo bucket and image link. Thanks to all who pitched in and guided me thru the process!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now try what I learned from the roof patch repair to the rust on this hood. (first time ever attempting sheet metal Mig patching).

The entire front edge was cheese caked with rust holes, might as well try to patch, can't make it worse!
Driver side patch
Front clip removed

Front stock suspension removed

Mocking up Speedway tube axel

455 eng and TH400 trial fit

Starting to look like a gasser!

Now gotta figure out the steering connection, looks like I will need a longer pitman and different steering arms.

·
Registered
643 Posts
WOW, let me be the first to say I am impressed!,,and motivated from all your progress, very nice.

56 VIC - Tom

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
WOW, let me be the first to say I am impressed!,,and motivated from all your progress, very nice.

56 VIC - Tom
Me too!!!! You're on a roll now that you got it figured out. Looking forward to seeing & hearing more about your project.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Great looking work! I'm impressed that you are doing such nice repair for your first attempt! One thing I do on my weld repairs is to paint them with fiberglass resin once they are ground, then grind off any excess resin. It seals any chance of imperfections in the weld, or contamination that might affect paint later.
Hope you start a build thread in the "project section"!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Very nice, great looking dash by the way. Please do start a build thread, we love leaving nose prints on the screen.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great looking work! I'm impressed that you are doing such nice repair for your first attempt! One thing I do on my weld repairs is to paint them with fiberglass resin once they are ground, then grind off any excess resin. It seals any chance of imperfections in the weld, or contamination that might affect paint later.
Hope you start a build thread in the "project section"!
1946Austin - Vall,
Any certain type of resin you use? This project of mine will be my second attempt at paint and body,,first at patch panels,,any more tips?
56 VIC - tom

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
1946Austin - Vall,
Any certain type of resin you use? This project of mine will be my second attempt at paint and body,,first at patch panels,,any more tips?
56 VIC - tom

Fiberglass resin comes in part A and part B for base and finishing coats. I use the finishing resin for sealing welds. I think I used Bondo 402 the last time I needed some, as it was readily available at the plastics store, and came in qt. cans.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I use short strand fiberglass filler, AKA kittyhair.
I think he was asking about sealing welds from impurities that might react to paint over them Gary. I use Duraglass for areas that may flex. It's a pain to sand and shape, but I rough it in, then hit it with a thin layer of something else that sands easier.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice, looks like you're on your way, you seem to have a good grasp on the patchwork. The engine is looking good, and the dash is awesome. Keep up the good work.
Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let everyone know that I did not fall off the face of the earth! I currently work in Maryland for the Government, the car is in Texas at my brothers shop. From the time of my last post (2/2012, Jeez! has it been that long!!) till today I have been able to "visit" my car a couple times. Work issues (no lottery wins) and unfortunately several deaths in wife's family, and now Government furloughs put the car on the back burner. All I have been able to do is order parts and have them delivered to Texas. When I do eventually get the time, I will have plenty to do. My floor pans arrived, new brake lines, master cylinder, Torque Thrust wheels 7 x15 fronts, 8.5 x 15 rears, TH400 trans rebuild kit, New rear leaf springs, and on and on. I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years, I hope I do not have to wait that long to work on it. If I do get away, I will post updates with pics. Thanks for your patience!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Good to know you're still breathing. Sometimes life just gets in the way big time. Just post any updates when they are ready, we'll be right here waiting for ya. Once part of our family, always part of our family.

Mark L

OH YA! Love dat BOOICK

1 - 20 of 31 Posts