Gasser HotRod Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,601 Posts

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I was thinking about the trunk. Do you have an English Wheel? If you do it would make things easier. Harbor freight has one. I bought. Made a panel with two contours for below my trunk but had to do it in 2 pieces And stitch them together. Nothing wrong with piecing it together tacking it and then Removing it to weld it on the bench from the back. love that Hotrod stance you have On the car. as far as the space above the wheel? Depends on the spring rate and what kind of driving you do. Me I made a mistake and left the MG too low and had to put in air shocks to help my situation. Bad bumps are not good.

Reactions: Morris Munster

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I was thinking about the trunk. Do you have an English Wheel? If you do it would make things easier. Harbor freight has one. I bought. Made a panel with two contours for below my trunk but had to do it in 2 pieces And stitch them together. Nothing wrong with piecing it together tacking it and then Removing it to weld it on the bench from the back. love that Hotrod stance you have On the car. as far as the space above the wheel? Depends on the spring rate and what kind of driving you do. Me I made a mistake and left the MG too low and had to put in air shocks to help my situation. Bad bumps are not good.
No English wheel, but definitely on the list.. I have to hand form everything, it works but takes lots of time. It's just a standard coilover shock setup and As far as driving. It will definitely be a race car with the occasional car meet city driving.
Thanks for the compliment, sometimes you start second guessing yourself if you're going in the right direction. It's come a long way, when I first got it the doors wouldn't even open and close and it was wrecked in the front and lots of rust repair.. definitely brought it back from the grave 🪦.
I Really appreciate it. Yours is turning out awesome too btw. 👍

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
Question: I've measured probably a 1,000 times axle is square & centered to frame. But front shackle angle is different from one side to the other? Should they be the same?
Absolutely! Shackles should match side to side.

On the rear clearance, I use urethane bump stops on my frame above the axle. I build a boxed mounting point so when the bump stop is bolted to it the result stops the axle's compression, and keeps my tires from contacting the fenders. Autozone carries a pair with a round shape, and 3/8" stud on them, and cheaper than almost anything else I found around. They let me drive without being quite so firm, and yet if I hit a big bump they protect the body.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Absolutely! Shackles should match side to side.

On the rear clearance, I use urethane bump stops on my frame above the axle. I build a boxed mounting point so when the bump stop is bolted to it the result stops the axle's compression, and keeps my tires from contacting the fenders. Autozone carries a pair with a round shape, and 3/8" stud on them, and cheaper than almost anything else I found around. They let me drive without being quite so firm, and yet if I hit a big bump they protect the body.
Ok thanks.. I'll look at it some more and get my dad to help hold measuring tape.. its of like 1 - 2 degrees

81 - 91 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.