Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got another build question it looks pretty promising that I will be getting a 1950 2dr Olds Sedan I would like to build a gasser with it so my question is can I use the stock frame rails or do I need to fab new rails ? Thanks for any info.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
There are an endless number of Tri 5 Chevys built into gassers, and using the stock frame rails. The '50 Olds frame rails aren't much different, and will work. Of course any frame having coil spring pockets, and all the factory crossmembers and bracing, will not look as good as stubbing the frame. But they aren't ugly, and they will work. A lot of what is added to the front frame rails can be cut or ground off, if you want to clean it up a little, or lighten it up. But if I wanted to use the stock rails, I'd probably leave most of it, and build my spring mounts on it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If it's made like Chevys of that era, and in good shape, it will have a bolt in crossmember and can be raised by making spacers to go between the frame and crossmember. I remember seeing pictures of one from the old days that had pieces of I-beam for spacers. Not as clean looking but still offered the weight transfer they were looking for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From pictures I could find on the net they are different frame than chevy . On my 53 chevy everything could be unbolted

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Yes, the Olds frame is not as simple as the early Chevy. The Olds is more like Tri 5 Chevy frames, except braces and such are riveted if I remember right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts